martial arts instructors
Create Post

martial arts instructors

I saw on the School of Infantry website for camp Pendleton they have the martial arts instructors course. Can you volunteer to take this course and be certified since they teach you all the belts there or do you have to work your way up the belts until you get to the instructor level and then you are allowed to go.

I can't find the requirements today for some reason. But, I am pretty sure you have to be at least a Sgt, maybe even a Staff NCO to be an instructor. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure they aren't going to let a boot become an instructor.

Do they teach grappling IE groundfighting etc. in the martial arts course?

Registered User Free Member CPLRapoza's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    They teach a whole lot of different fighting techniques combined.

If I remember right (don't tell the wife I can remember), the old "line" (hand to hand) was changed to martial arts to become more offensive vs defensive. You sould learn a fair bit in basic, MCT, etc... I'm sure if you made something like SOI Instructor (CPL and UP) you would have a chance.

MW

MCMAP - Marine Corps Martial Arts Program, is designed to be effective in a combat situation. You probably will not do spin kicks, roundhouses, or anything like you have previously taken in karate or seen on tv. It is meant to be an effective hand to hand combat training, to be utilized in COMBAT (i.e., pack, duece gear, etc.). They give you a foundation with the Tan belt, and then the system builds upon the basics, progressively getting tougher (like anything in the Marine Corps). This is a graduation requirement for Recruit Training, and if you fail, you will be dropped. Ask any of the combat vets that we have on this site, and I'm sure they will tell you, when your life is on the line, there are no rules. As Echo said, I don't think you will see a Junior Marine Instructor, I didn't have anything below a Sgt. in Recruit Training.

Stay Motivated, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Joe

The MCMAT program is supposed to be an improvement over LINE, which was basically a defensive response, ended by a killing blow to the opponent. In the new program, there is more offense, it is supposed to be a balance between the two. I am sure there will be some ground fighting included in the program, but not grappling in the judo sense, or any of the Ultimate Fighting Championship crap. The program is intended to be used in combat by warriors. It isn't always going to be pretty, but it will keep you alive, and that is what matters when you get down to it.

Registered User Free Member dikatry's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    What I got from the whole deal is, MCMAP it supposed to simulat fighting in full combat gear with a pack on your back, so its a little different from traditional martial arts. I myself wrestled my whole life and did Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for several years, I was dissapointed in the lack of grappling, but after talking to mu DI at the end of boot camp he said that you learn more grappling at the higher belts. As for becoming a green belt instructor, its a three week class of hell. Either the Marine Times or The Chevron (MCDR newspaper) had an article on it while I was there. Just rember you just learn the basics to get your tan belt. As my DI put it "You know about enough MCMAP to get your ass kicked" So dont come out of boot camp thinking your a hard ass.

Thread Information