Waivers
Create Post

Thread: Waivers

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Waivers

Hey there, here for a moral waiver question. I know that it's handled on a case-by-case basis and very much a matter of individual circumstance, but I'm very concerned and thought I would try to get some answers here.

I have not yet contacted a recruiter, because I have been a chronic pot smoker for the past four years and I need time to let it clear from my system.

I am 20 years old. I have one juvenile charge for posession of paraphenlia (which I'm told is considered to be the same as posession of marijuana), and one minor theft from when I was about twelve. My adult charges are:

1 POM (Possession of Marijuana), and
    2 DWI's.

According to what information I could find, this amounts to:

4 serious offenses.

This, as I understand it, means I am ineligible to join without a moral waiver.
    I do not have a highschool diploma, only a GED, although I have always been very smart and an extremely good tester. My hope is that with some college credit and a very good ASVAB score, coupled with personal recommendations, I'll be able to snag a waiver.

My question is whether you think I have a chance. Are recommendations a factor? My brother is currently a Corporal in the Army, my step-sister served for 15 years in the Army and National Guard, and my grandfather was in WWII (although he is now dead.)
    Do you think recommendations from those two would help much? Would anyone else's, like a teacher or college counselor?

I'm also physically fit.

Anything else I can do to help my chances?

I just don't know what I would do if I couldn't join.