BUMED Waiver
Create Post

Thread: BUMED Waiver

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

BUMED Waiver

Hey, I have a BUMED for acne that has been in existance for about six months and its already been submitted twice (because of the doctors handwriting). I've been waiting four months since its been submitted and no word back. I've had it treated to a passing condition since my consult and I'm told it would be longer to cancel the waiver and resubmit myself to MEPS. Is there anything I can do to make the waiver go through faster? Is there any way I can know if they lost it? Is it true if you talk about bringing it to a Congressman that it would put a "political influence" stamp on my package?

I've fought for two years to get to this point in my enlisting process and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Hey, complete your profile. Site rules.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm sorry. I updated my 'about me' section. Do you have any information that can help me?

BUMED stands for "Bureau of Medicine" and is comprised of naval and civilian contracted doctors (none of whom are on this board). Likewise, nobody here works at MEPS. There may be a tracking system (bar codes) to see where your package is and also a tracer system but you would have to ask the MEPS people. One thing to remember is you're talking about the Government here which means nothing happens fast (as you're finding out) and things routinely disappear into the black hole never to be found again (or, have to be resubmitted). If you ever earn the title, you will experience this in the USMC as well.

Yes, once your Congressman gets involved, your package will be flagged (how else will anybody know). Basically, your package should become a priority at that point. It shouldn't have a bearing on the waiver (could still get denied) but it should speed up the process.

What does your recruiter say to do (they have experience with these situations)?

Credits
    Savings
    He suggested to have the Gunny call BuMed and make the "threat" of bringing a Congressman into the picture, but if that is on my package it might have a backlash when I finally get to Paris Island. It would be amazing if it did speed the process but would the DI's see that there was a "political influence" in getting me in?

Credits
    Savings
    Also the waiver has a note from a consult at MEPS stating that it would have no effect on my ability to perform. And do you know if BuMed would purposely deny a waiver for a Political Influence flag? (As in do you know if they have a tendency of doing so)

I was never a Drill Instructor so can't tell you what information they have access to. I don't believe "threatening" BUMED would have much affect on them. They are overworked and understaffed just like everyone else in the Government these days. In the fleet, we called them CONGRINT for congressional interest instead of political influence which may be the term used today. I did see instances of backlash because the Marine bringing the complaint basically went over his command's head (but, obviously, they felt no other recourse at the time). The rule of thumb is, elected officials are very busy with the business of our Government. You have the right to request assistance from them but should only do so as a last resort after all other actions have been exhausted. There is not supposed to be any punishment to the constituent asking for assistance. It is a gamble that could backfire on you (seen it happen) and you should think twice before playing that card. If there is any way you can wait it out, that would be your best option. Have your Gunny see if MEPS can put a tracer on your package and at least know where it is.

Credits
    Savings
    I have exercised that option and it's been at BuMed for about three months now. I definitely don't want to bother a congressman with it (they're busy like you said) but I've heard the last two acne waivers took three years (combined) to be cleared. I've been trying to join for two years now and don't really want to wait another two just to become a recruit, so I'm just trying to find all the information I can to help the process along. Is there any way to contact BuMed directly?

Quote Originally Posted by tm122967 View Post
    Also the waiver has a note from a consult at MEPS stating that it would have no effect on my ability to perform. And do you know if BuMed would purposely deny a waiver for a Political Influence flag? (As in do you know if they have a tendency of doing so)
    I was never a recruiter so can't tell you BUMED'S tendencies (that's why I was curious about what your recruiter says because they should have an idea through experience). BUMED is not supposed to punish you by purposely denying a waiver for political influence but when a waiver comes back, it is either approved or denied with no explanation given. You would never know, nor could you ever prove one way or the other.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much for the information you provided me. I apologize for the multiple questions in the general field where answers are few and far between the questions but I was just trying to get every bit of information that I can. I don't want to wait much longer but if I have to I sure will to prove I got what it takes.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 06-16-13 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Site rules......On this site, you DO NOT rate to say Semper Fidelis until you have EARNED the title.

No idea. Again, I don't work at MEPS or BUMED. I'm a retired Marine just giving my two cents worth. If there is, MEPS should know. Just remember, the more time they spend on the phone with you (or email or whatever), and countless others around the nation just like you, the less time they have to devote to their workload (including your case). I'm not sure bugging them will help the process along (and may even slow it down) but if it makes you feel better go for it.

Let us know what happens and good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I counsel patience, young Padawan. BUMED works at their own pace and Congresscritters scare them not.

Based on the information I've learned, most Congressmen are reluctant to impose themselves in the recruiting process since the military has long standing procedures in place. Particularly on medical matters. Besides three or four months at BUMED is not an unusual time period.

Credits
    Savings
    I just don't want there to be another two years wait tacked onto the two I've spent getting to the point I'm at now.

Thread Information