Some Small Questions
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Some Small Questions

Hello All,

I am new here but have been reading articles on this site for months, as a guest. I would like to start out by saying that my father is a retired Marine and the family heritage is rich in USMC service beginning in WWII. I am very interested in joining, have graduated high school this year, and looking into possibilities. I have some time, I don't turn 18 for another 3 months.

Just a few small questions though:

1. I understand that a recruiter is the best place for many of these questions, however I am concerned with the level of difficulty required for signing on into an aviation related field, especially due to the new downsizing.

2. I am a 5'8" male and weigh approx. 131 lbs, I swim and run very frequently and have a 17:45 3 mile run time, I know I need to do some upper body work, but I'm concerned if I weigh too little to enlist?

3. Is there any general advice in going about the process or making that final decision to become a poolee and sign?

Similar Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragland View Post
    Hello All,

I am new here but have been reading articles on this site for months, as a guest. I would like to start out by saying that my father is a retired Marine and the family heritage is rich in USMC service beginning in WWII. I am very interested in joining, have graduated high school this year, and looking into possibilities. I have some time, I don't turn 18 for another 3 months.

Just a few small questions though:

1. I understand that a recruiter is the best place for many of these questions, however I am concerned with the level of difficulty required for signing on into an aviation related field, especially due to the new downsizing.

2. I am a 5'8" male and weigh approx. 131 lbs, I swim and run very frequently and have a 17:45 3 mile run time, I know I need to do some upper body work, but I'm concerned if I weigh too little to enlist?

3. Is there any general advice in going about the process or making that final decision to become a poolee and sign?

2 --> I went in around that height/weight -- that's not too small, or too little. I was 5'9" and around 135-140. It's all about your heart -- how big is that?

3 --> Make sure you are getting what you want, be realistic about your expectations and go talk to the man/woman. No obligation to talk. Tell them you have USMC family so they cut down on the salemanship. Good luck

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Best general advice I can give you is speak with your family. Doesn't get any better than having a Dad that's a Retired Marine and a Family full of Marines as well.

(Your question # 3 makes me wonder why you are even asking these questions here ? ).

Go see a Marine Corps Recruiter and bring your Dad with you, ask all the questions you need to and follow your heart.

Best of luck to you...

Why are you half-stepping? If you have to ask how to make the final decision about enlisting then you're not ready. When you finally know in your heart earning the title is the most important thing to you and you're ready to commit to that then you'll be ready to make that decision. Talking to a recruiter may help you. You don't have to be 18; as a highschool grad, you are eligible to talk to a recruiter now. Why put it off? Why not schedule a meeting today? There are no obligations and they will be able to discuss the opportunities in the aviation field with you (you will need a higher than average ASVAB score to qualify for an aviation MOS).

Good luck.

1. There is no obligation to sign anything a recruiter tells you if you're not ready. Go to the office and see what's up. Take the time to get the information and think. It's potentially your career not the recruiter's. Study the ASVAB practice test at book stores such as Barnes and Noble in order to score high on the ASVAB so you will have the best chance in getting an avionics career. Fresh up on math, electronics and physics.
    2. Being underweight is a lot better than over. There are Marines who don't get promoted simply because of their weight. I'm sure you within standards though. I'm smaller and lighter than you.
    3. Let your father help you through the enlistment process. Figure out what you like to do and choose an MOS based on your qualifications, abilities and desires.

Thread Information