Trouble in the recruiting process?
Create Post

Trouble in the recruiting process?

I am a poolee right now and have been in the DEP since July of 2012.

At first I didn't know what MOS I should go for, and after going through a few ideas, my recruiter got me interested in the intelligence field.

I then began reading up on what intelligence does, getting motivated and realizing that this is actually something I would love to make a full career of even after the Marines, in a government agency maybe, or who knows maybe just 20 years in the Marines.

I have told my family and friends I am very excited to ship out for intel and become part of the Marines in a field I know I will be successful in. I have been prepping myself for a few months now to ship, selling things, saving money, working my butt off, and briefing myself on all possible duties I could get in the intel field. My family has been very proud of me, and I couldn't be happier.

Until a few days ago when I come into my recruiters office and he tells me someone took my intel slot because they scored higher than me on the DLAB... I scored a 100 on the DLAB, I could have done better but I tried my best.

Now I am stuck between logistics, and open contract. I don't know how to tell my family this, Or talk to my recruiter about it. I would absolutely never choose a career in logistics, I know that job isn't for me. My recruiter said bloom where you are planted but if I wanted to be miserable I would stay working at the pizza place I am at now.

I have spoken to many Marines who hate being in, who regret joining. I do not want to be that. It is intel or nothing for me, but my only shot would be to discharge from the DEP and wait till october to re-join when more intel slots are open.

I remember my recruiters said they wouldn't re-take any of us if we discharged, so I don't know if thats an option. Don't get me wrong I am not planning on asking anything of the Marines, only serving.. But I am smart enough to know I shouldn't do a job I will hate for the next five years of my life.

Any Marines out there know anything I can do to go intel? Any suggestions?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 04-08-13 at 10:14 AM. Reason: It's Marines with a Capital M...

First off Marines have a capital M every time you use it, second what is wrong with logistics? I spent 16 yrs as a logistics Marine, they say the LCpl is the backbone of the Corps, I agree! However logistics is the back bone of the Fleet..we provide them all the BBB's they need to carry out there mission, with out logistics there would be no Marine Corps!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have read up and found that logistics is definitely the backbone for the Marines, its incredibly essential, and I understand the need. However I know whether or not something is for me. I cannot commit myself to something I don't want to do for FIVE YEARS. I feel I am getting pressured into it, where as if someone asked me to ship for intel right now, I wouldn't even put on my pants, I would be out the door because I know its something I can really get motivated for. I know I would be able to give 100% to the Marines and myself through intel. It would be a five year struggle for me in logistics because I would not be enjoying what I would be doing. Its not my path, and I don't want to just give in. I need a route or a plan to get myself into intel.

And don't get me wrong, I know that the Marines isn't a cake walk, and you will have to do things you don't want to sometimes for your country and the USMC, but I would be hurting the Marines going in to an MOS I didn't take any interest in. So why wouldn't I fight to give the Marines an amazing intel guy, rather than a logistics guy that hates his job.

Last edited by Rocky C; 04-08-13 at 10:28 AM.

Sounds like a bait and switch to me, I know they don't do that, though.

I would stick to your guns, if you want intel then wait for it.

You need to have your finger on the trigger, though. So next time it's your time you can make the most of the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
    And don't get me wrong, I know that the Marines isn't a cake walk, and you will have to do things you don't want to sometimes for your country and the USMC, but I would be hurting the Marines going in to an MOS I didn't take any interest in. So why wouldn't I fight to give the Marines an amazing intel guy, rather than a logistics guy that hates his job.
    Marine patience is not the thickest. Please don't make somebody correct your spelling again. Marine is a proper noun, that means the M in Marines (when referring to members of the branch) is ALWAYS capitalized ssgt32 corrected you once, Rocky C helped too -- don't make the mistake again. Attention to detail is a very big thing the USMC. Especially in intel, maybe more so in logistics but both require good amounts of it. Start working on yours - now.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Looks like you already made your decision and your Recruiter told you how it is.

I have spoken to many Marines who hate being in, who regret joining. I do not want to be that.*** It is intel or nothing for me ***, but my only shot would be to discharge from the DEP and wait till october to re-join when more intel slots are open.

I remember my recruiters said they wouldn't re-take any of us if we discharged, so I don't know if thats an option. Don't get me wrong I am not planning on asking anything of the Marines, only serving.. But I am smart enough to know I shouldn't do a job I will hate for the next five years of my life.

Perhaps the Marine Corps isn't for you then.
    Life is short, be happy.

Best of luck to you.

I believe the Marines is for me. I just don't want to not be motivated for a certain job and not be able to give 100%

I apologize for not giving the Marines proper caps. I respect the Marines, and won't make that mistake again.

Also, By mentioning the few Marines that had told me they regret joining I was simply saying I want to have the most positive outlook while in the Marines. Perhaps I am over thinking it. Maybe I should just whatever the Marines want me to regardless, or maybe I am not over thinking it and should simply wait a few months for a job I Know I would love and take interest in. No matter what I end up doing I know I will have pride and be committed, I am only saying I think Intel would be best.

Thread Information