A few questions
Create Post

Thread: A few questions

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

A few questions

Hello Marines. I have a few questions that I know have been asked before but I believe they are also unique to my situation. Its going to be a long one so I apologize for the reading in advance.

For the past year or so I have been in the process of joining the Air National Guard. I have been in constant contact with a recruiter and took my ASVAB and went through MEPS around 3 months ago. Anyways the reason I was planning on joining the guard was because I have a passion for aviation and because I have some high ranking connections that could practically guarantee me a flight slot. Anyways to make a long story short I really feel like this decision to join the guard was never really mine. Despite my love for flying I have always wanted to be one of the men with boots on the ground but I have felt pressured to join the guard from my parents and relatives. Being a Marine is something that I have wanted for a while now but this is the first time I have chosen to do something about it. My first question is what do you think about my situation? Although joining the guard would probably make more sense because of my connections, I don't think that is what I really want. That being said though there is only one job that I would want in the Corps and that is infantry, specifically 0311. In this day how hard is it to find and keep an infantry spot? Is it realistic that I could find one before summer? Also what are the chances that I could get an infantry spot in the reserves? Im not 100% sure if I want to go the reserve route but it would be nice to stay on the same school plan that I would have had in the guard. Im planning on talking to a recruiter in the next couple of days but I figured I could get some information from you all first. Thanks for your time,

-Colin

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 03-12-13 at 08:08 AM.

Credits
    Savings
    Inside the Magic 8 Ball

Filed under: Magic 8 Ball - 16 Oct 2012 | Spread the word !

The popular fortune telling toy known as the Magic 8 Ball has always fascinated people with its accurate or not so accurate answers. Whenever a question pops into your mind, you can use it to look for answers.
    Its predictions may not always be what you want them to, but with the Magic 8 Ball, it’s just like flipping a coin: it will not settle the question for you, but in that brief moment when the coin is in the air, you suddenly know what you are hoping for.

Nevertheless, the Magic 8 Ball can still be very fun, especially if you use it when hanging out with friends and asking it all the questions that come to mind. Well, it is about time you find out.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    First question I have is....Were you planning on commissioning in the Air Guard and becoming a pilot?...or enlisting in the Air Guard?....if you are wanting to fly you have to be a commissioned officer which means you have to have a 4 year college degree. I don't care who you know and how many hook ups you have there is no way around that. If you are capable of doing this I would suggest you stick with that route, not the Marine Corps.

Second.....as for getting an infantry contract, you wont get one in time for this summer. Infantry/03xx contracts are hard to come by, most guys are waiting for up to a year to ship out to boot waiting on an infantry slot to open up.

If you are set on infantry, reserves is an option but there has to be an infantry unit local to you. If there is not one near you you're SOL.

All the services and the guard have their unique mission and I would never critize any. If you can get a flight contract (I think that means going warrant officer in the guard) then I believe it would be silly to turn that down to enlist in the Corps and go infantry. Don't get me wrong, I think the Corps is a fantastic service and I do not regret joining it. However, the reality of serving in any service is very different than whatmost people think it will be like. Don't join the infanty thinking it will be anything like Call of Duty. It's VERY unlikely that you will ever shoot at anybody. You have a much better chance of killing someone if you fly attack aircraft.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the input Marines. I completely understand where you are both coming from. It doesn't make sense that I would want to turn down a flying slot but at the same time if I'm going to sign part of my life away for military service, I feel like it needs to be for something that I really want to do. For me the Corps is not about shooting at people, its really just the overall challenge of it. Everything from the grueling boot camp to the life of a grunt just appeals to me. Im really getting tired of school and I just need a change.

To answer your question josephd I am located in Norman, Oklahoma so I would be joining a unit near me. I haven't looked to see if there are any infantry units around here yet.

Im not set on the Marines yet and even though every logical decision points to the guard a part of me keeps saying go to the Corps. Thanks again for your time

Last edited by Lisa 23; 03-13-13 at 08:01 AM. Reason: The Marines who've answered your qestions have EARNED the title......how about Marines, not guys.

Thread Information