Reenlisting after 3 years
Create Post

Reenlisting after 3 years

Good afternoon Marines,

I am a "wannabe" scheduled to go to MEPS the 21st and will be enlisting as 03xx. I am currently a freshman at a senior military college, but I made the decision to enlist in the hopes that I will have a chance to deploy before we withdraw from the middle east. My question is if I return to school to complete my Bachelors degree after my contract is up, realistically what are my chances of reenlisting after?

Thank you in advance.

Very respectfully,
    Sean

Similar Threads:

Thread closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. When profile is complete, PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum and thread will be re-opened.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Profile completed.
    Thread re-opened.

Welcome to the Forum.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Earn your degree while you are still on active duty.
    Many do so online.
    You can transfer credits.

Chances are you will not be deploying with the drawdown happening now.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your response, Sir.

I was hoping to complete my degree in the Corps of Cadets, but if I would be unable to reenlist then I suppose earning it online is my best option.

I know that I most likely won't be able to deploy but even the slim chance that I get to fight and do my part to serve my country is worth taking a hiatus from my education. I'm beginning to regret not joining up right out of highschool.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You don't have to fight to serve your Country. Just being a " Marine " is serving your country ( Although we love to fight ). We have many sayings in the Marine Corps and one of them is " Pray for Peace but Train for War ".

Also when choosing a MOS be advised that every MOS depends on one another.

That is why the Marine Corps works so efficiently.

Ok, enough words of wisdom. I could go on for days but I have work to do on the Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post

Also when choosing a MOS be advised that every MOS depends on one another.

Have met a lot of guys from various MOS', they all put up the same "my job is the best", even if they hate it!

To the original poster: Your question has too many variables in it. What if you don't like it? What if you get medically discharged? What if you decide to smoke spice n get kicked out? What if.....?!?!?!

I have heard from a lot of guys that got out and tried getting back in... guys were perfect and in shape and everything... knew their jobs.. for some reason it was a no-go. You're taking a gamble if you plan a major part of your life on this. I would leave this up in the air to see if you like being in or not, if you do... go to college while you're in.

If you get out to finish college, there is no guarantee they'll let you back in (reenlist). HUGE gamble.

I completed both my AA and BS degrees while on active duty. Took a few years, lost some credits transferring schools, sacafriced weekends and a lot of my off-duty time, had to swap a lot of duty NCO assignments, etc. but it can be done.

Thank you all for your insight.

After reading the replies to this thread I've decided that leaving the Corps to complete my degree is a gamble I'm not willing to take. I plan on completing my degree while on active duty like countless Marines have done before me.

My recruiter just called me a week before I was scheduled to go to MEPS and told me that the only MOS available right now is communications. I know that every job in the Marine Corps is just as important as the other, but I am adamant in my decision to join the infantry for personal reasons. I'm going to wait until the next fiscal year in the hopes of securing an 03xx contract. In the meantime I am going to work on preparing myself to become the best recruit I can be.

Quote Originally Posted by swhitese View Post
    Thank you all for your insight.

After reading the replies to this thread I've decided that leaving the Corps to complete my degree is a gamble I'm not willing to take. I plan on completing my degree while on active duty like countless Marines have done before me.

My recruiter just called me a week before I was scheduled to go to MEPS and told me that the only MOS available right now is communications. I know that every job in the Marine Corps is just as important as the other, but I am adamant in my decision to join the infantry for personal reasons. I'm going to wait until the next fiscal year in the hopes of securing an 03xx contract. In the meantime I am going to work on preparing myself to become the best recruit I can be.
    Nothing wrong with your plan and waiting till October. You realize of course infantry contracts disappear quickly and there is no gaurantee you'll get one. You could still end up in communications.

I know this is unrelated to the original topic but...

My recruiter just called me, he found me an infantry contract!! I'll be going to MEPS this Thursday.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Outstanding !!!

No more TA, Grunts don't have the time to take college courses while on active duty anyways.

Thread Information