Are you older than dirt? - Page 14
Create Post
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    So does anyone remeber Sky King, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and the Cisco Kid on Saturday mornings? Or theold WWII propaganda cartoons that would be so not PC today? Everything from Popeye to the Threee Stooges kicking tail agaionst the Japanese and Hitler. Captain Kangaroo with Mr Green Jeans and Mr Moose? Excuse me I have to get my cane.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If remembering all that means I'm older than dirt, guilty as charged..

77 and holding looks like the dirt is about ready to cover me up. I still mow my own lawn and watch TV while walking on my treadmill.

For those who never saw any of the Burma Shave signs, here is a quick lesson
    In our history of the 1930's and '40's. Before there were interstates, when everyone drove the old 2 lane roads,
    Burma Shave signs would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields.They were small red signs with white letters. Five signs,
    About 100 feet apart, each containing 1 line of a 4 line couplet.......and the obligatory 5th sign advertising
    Burma Shave, a popular shaving cream.

Here are more of the actual signs:

DON'T STICK YOUR ELBOW
    OUT SO FAR
    IT MAY GO HOME
    IN ANOTHER CAR.
    BURMA SHAVE

TRAINS DON'T WANDER
    ALL OVER THE MAP
    'CAUSE NOBODY SITS
    IN THE ENGINEER'S LAP
    Burma Shave

SHE KISSED THE HAIRBRUSH
    BY MISTAKE
    SHE THOUGHT IT WAS
    HER HUSBAND JAKE
    Burma Shave

DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD
    TO GAIN A MINUTE
    YOU NEED YOUR HEAD
    YOUR BRAINS ARE IN IT
    Burma Shave

DROVE TOO LONG
    DRIVER SNOOZING
    WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
    IS NOT AMUSING
    Burma Shave

BROTHER SPEEDER
    LET'S REHEARSE
    ALL TOGETHER
    GOOD MORNING, NURSE
    Burma Shave

CAUTIOUS RIDER
    TO HER RECKLESS DEAR
    LET'S HAVE LESS BULL
    AND A LITTLE MORE STEER
    Burma Shave

SPEED WAS HIGH
    WEATHER WAS NOT
    TIRES WERE THIN
    X MARKS THE SPOT
    Burma Shave

THE MIDNIGHT RIDE
    OF PAUL FOR BEER
    LED TO A WARMER
    HEMISPHERE
    Burma Shave

AROUND THE CURVE
    LICKETY-SPLIT
    BEAUTIFUL CAR
    WASN'T IT?
    Burma Shave

NO MATTER THE PRICE
    NO MATTER HOW NEW
    THE BEST SAFETY DEVICE
    IN THE CAR IS YOU
    Burma Shave

A GUY WHO DRIVES
    A CAR WIDE OPEN
    IS NOT THINKIN'
    HE'S JUST HOPIN'
    Burma Shave

AT INTERSECTIONS
    LOOK EACH WAY
    A HARP SOUNDS NICE
    BUT IT'S HARD TO PLAY
    Burma Shave

BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL
    EYES ON THE ROAD
    THAT'S THE SKILLFUL
    DRIVER'S CODE
    Burma Shave

THE ONE WHO DRIVES
    WHEN HE'S BEEN DRINKING
    DEPENDS ON YOU
    TO DO HIS THINKING
    Burma Shave

CAR IN DITCH
    DRIVER IN TREE
    THE MOON WAS FULL
    AND SO WAS HE.
    Burma Shave

PASSING SCHOOL ZONE
    TAKE IT SLOW
    LET OUR LITTLE
    SHAVERS GROW
    Burma Shave

Do these bring back any old memories?
    If not, you're merely a child.

Don't know who started this but thanks for the memories I think that had something to do with bob hope did anyone else chew the road tar

Don't know who started this but, thanks for the memories, I think that had something to do with bob hope. did anyone else chew the road tar. Just turned 71 but am starting to remember everything like it was tomorrow.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by David R 1968 View Post
    Burma Shave signs would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields.They were small red signs with white letters. Five signs,
    About 100 feet apart, each containing 1 line of a 4 line couplet.......and the obligatory 5th sign advertising
    Burma Shave, a popular shaving cream.

Do these bring back any old memories?
    If not, you're merely a child.
    You can't have driven

Very far

IF you can't remember

Who's Signs

These Are

Burma Shave

Remember reading many Burma Shave signs. We did not have TV in vehicles back then. Nor did we have air conditioning. But we had wind wings.

I remember when I turned 25 and everyone told me I was over the hill but I don't remember anyone telling me that 2 years ago when I turned 75.LOL.

I remember when beer was worth ten cents at the slop chute and cigarettes were 1 dollar a carton.

Quote Originally Posted by carrvy1 View Post
    I remember when I turned 25 and everyone told me I was over the hill but I don't remember anyone telling me that 2 years ago when I turned 75.LOL.

I remember when beer was worth ten cents at the slop chute and cigarettes were 1 dollar a carton.

Those were some great days for sure. Remember them well.

Quote Originally Posted by carrvy1 View Post

In Nam, cigarettes were $1.10 a carton...no taxes. Since there were no pennies, a single pack was 15 cents. State side they were around $2.00 a carton and 25 cents a pack in the club.

Back in the mid 70s on Oki, a bottle of good bourbon cost $2.40 a quart...no taxes of any kind. My buddy would buy a case of coke for $2.40 and it lasted us from payday to payday. What's the cost of a single drink today?

Quote Originally Posted by William Hardy View Post
    In Nam, cigarettes were $1.10 a carton...no taxes. Since there were no pennies, a single pack was 15 cents. State side they were around $2.00 a carton and 25 cents a pack in the club.

Back in the mid 70s on Oki, a bottle of good bourbon cost $2.40 a quart...no taxes of any kind. My buddy would buy a case of coke for $2.40 and it lasted us from payday to payday. What's the cost of a single drink today?
    I paid $3.80 at Chili's the other day for a Coors light. In Camp Pendleton between paydays the word was Thunder Bird wine, what was nice the price .59 cents.

In Japan a one night shack up could be bartered with the Mama son and Jo son was yours any where from 3 to five bucks.

Used to pay $.50 for a gallon of Dago Red.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    remember that big reddish pink rubber looking thing hanging over the shower rail with a long tube running out of it?? that thing scared the hell out of me in the late 50's hehehehehehehe until i got to know what its function was hehehehehehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    remember that big reddish pink rubber looking thing hanging over the shower rail with a long tube running out of it?? that thing scared the hell out of me in the late 50's hehehehehehehe until i got to know what its function was hehehehehehehehe
    Used to use the hose off that red thing for a home brew siphon hose.

Thread Information