SECRET security clearance
Create Post

SECRET security clearance

Good evening Marines,
    This is my first time posting on the forum, but I aspire to become a Marine however all of the MOS that I like to be in require at least a SECRET clearance. My record is completely clean, however my parents are not legal residents of the United States. Both my mother and father however are in contact with USCIS and are in the process of becoming permanent legal residents. Also my family comes from Russia with my grandparents still residing there. From what I understand your immediate family must be citizens for a TS/SCI clearance but I was wondering if it would be possible for me to get a SECRET clearance, considering I'd have no other problems such as drug use or financial problems.
    Thank you in advance
    -Tim

Similar Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by laxplayer1996 View Post
    Good evening Marines,
    This is my first time posting on the forum, but I aspire to become a Marine however all of the MOS that I like to be in require at least a SECRET clearance. My record is completely clean, however my parents are not legal residents of the United States. Both my mother and father however are in contact with USCIS and are in the process of becoming permanent legal residents. Also my family comes from Russia with my grandparents still residing there. From what I understand your immediate family must be citizens for a TS/SCI clearance but I was wondering if it would be possible for me to get a SECRET clearance, considering I'd have no other problems such as drug use or financial problems.
    Thank you in advance
    -Tim
    I believe it is, because a lot of my buddies have gotten it and are in the same situation that you are in. This would be a question for the recruiter I'd say, as when I had to get my job he said "Well, you have to get a secret security clearance for this, sign a few of these papers and I'll take care of it". I don't know if he was just being nice and really needed the contract, or if it's just that easy. All I know is that my parents were not contacted whatsoever during the time I was trying to enlist, besides the day I went to my house with my recruiter and they signed the parental guardian slip because I was 17.

Hope this helped at all, or at least gave ya some confidence in what you're trying to do. One of the best things to do is to ask, even if there's a slight chance of success... at least you asked. "What's the worst they're gonna say? No? then you're right back where ya started, so what?" - My Sgt when I first joined the fleet.

Thanks a lot Corporal,
    At least this is somewhat encouraging because basically all the MOSs I would like to do need a clearance. Also do you think any intel job would be within reach? Because that would be a dream MOS but from what I can tell its not possible because of my situation.
    Thanks again
    -Tim

As I understand it -- and experienced, different clearances require different levels of reviews, from Need-to-Know Confidential with minimal paperwork to Top Secret Crypto with background check lasting 6 to 9 months. Foor my TS clearance investigators went to my small town of 3,000 and interviewed my football coach, minister AND a girl I formerly dated! Couldn't touch, see or do anything sensitive. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fl1946 View Post
    As I understand it -- and experienced, different clearances require different levels of reviews, from Need-to-Know Confidential with minimal paperwork to Top Secret Crypto with background check lasting 6 to 9 months. Foor my TS clearance investigators went to my small town of 3,000 and interviewed my football coach, minister AND a girl I formerly dated! Couldn't touch, see or do anything sensitive. Good luck.
    Yes top secret is where it gets tricky. I honestly felt no effects of the "secret" clearance, but my friend just had his top secret partially done so far. He put down contacts for every place he's been in his life, everyone he knows. They contacted a few of the people on the list, but a lot of them that were not on the list. (Probably because a person will only put those on the list that will say good things about them).

So far his top secret process has been quite awhile. I don't remember secret taking that long at all before my recruiter said "Hey, by the way, you have a secret clearance!"

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I held a TSSC Crypto Comm.
    Your background better be so clean it squeeks.

Reading your post I have to be honest and say your chances of getting a TSSC don't look too good but Secret perhaps. Times change and will shall see.

Keep us posted.

Best of luck.

Thanks a lot for the replies, they really are encouraging. I do apologize for the late reply, what with moving and a new semester I got caught up and never had the chance to say thanks. At least theres some hope for a SECRET clearance.
    Thanks again
    -Tim

Also there just one more thing,
    I have found a MOS field that doesn't require clearance from what i've found. The 18xx MOSs seem to be something I think I would enjoy doing. My question is when you pick an OccField would you pick 18xx or CE combat support?
    Thanks again
    -Tim

laxplayer1996....there is a curfew here on Leatherneck for those who are still in school, and you're past the curfew. Unless you don't want to find yourself on a short vacation away from Leatherneck for a time to be determined, I suggest you come back after school hours on Friday.

Curfew during school nights.......and during school hours
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...g-school-hours

Aye aye ma'am
    I apologize for not reading the curfew before, and ill make sure to stay off during the curfew.
    thank you
    -Tim

Thread Information