A few naive questions; shipping sunday.
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

A few naive questions; shipping sunday.

First of all, I'd like to thank the readers of this post for taking time out of their days to answer a few questions I have. I'm a poolee at RSS Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and I am shipping to Parris Island this sunday. For this reason, I'd appreciate any answers in the next three days I can get to the following questions.

​Here's the context:

More than anything, I wanted infantry. I begged for it every day I saw my recruiter (at least three times a week), however my efforts were fruitless.

I found out today I will be going into the 2100 field (Basic Ground Ordnance Maintenance Marine), and although I am disappointed, nonetheless I am happy to have the opportunity to become a Marine regardless.

Here are my questions:

1. I want to fight. Period. I'm just being honest, not facetious, however perhaps naive. I joined to fight, nothing else. I understand the Marine Corps' wants are above my own, and I respect that, but will I have the opportunity to fight in the 2100 field?

2. Even though I am going into this field, I do intend to make a lateral shift to infantry as soon as possible (if at all possible). I want infantry second only to my want to become a Marine. So my question is how long until I will be able to lateral shift to infantry? (if I have to take a demotion, so be it. I understand my rank won't coincide with my experience in infantry/combat and am willing to accept that.)

3. I scored a 93 on my ASVAB, and my recruiter has told me I may qualify for Marine Security Forces. Do I have to be selected for Marine Security Forces, and will that happen after boot camp? Also, how long after MSF will I be able to lateral shift into infantry?

That's all I have. Please, once again if possible I only ask for answers. I've been patronized enough by family and my elders in regards to what I want to do, but allow me to prove myself wrong; my mind won't be changed any other way. Thank you for your time.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 01-24-13 at 04:38 PM.

Moved from the poolee forum to the Ask A Marine forum. Not all Marines have posting privilges in the poolee forum.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pislander View Post
    First of all, I'd like to thank the readers of this post for taking time out of their days to answer a few questions I have. I'm a poolee at RSS Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and I am shipping to Parris Island this sunday. For this reason, I'd appreciate any answers in the next three days I can get to the following questions.

​Here's the context:

More than anything, I wanted infantry. I begged for it every day I saw my recruiter (at least three times a week), however my efforts were fruitless.

I found out today I will be going into the 2100 field (Basic Ground Ordnance Maintenance Marine), and although I am disappointed, nonetheless I am happy to have the opportunity to become a Marine regardless.

Here are my questions:

1. I want to fight. Period. I'm just being honest, not facetious, however perhaps naive. I joined to fight, nothing else. I understand the Marine Corps' wants are above my own, and I respect that, but will I have the opportunity to fight in the 2100 field?

2. Even though I am going into this field, I do intend to make a lateral shift to infantry as soon as possible (if at all possible). I want infantry second only to my want to become a Marine. So my question is how long until I will be able to lateral shift to infantry? (if I have to take a demotion, so be it. I understand my rank won't coincide with my experience in infantry/combat and am willing to accept that.)

3. I scored a 93 on my ASVAB, and my recruiter has told me I may qualify for Marine Security Forces. Do I have to be selected for Marine Security Forces, and will that happen after boot camp? Also, how long after MSF will I be able to lateral shift into infantry?

That's all I have. Please, once again if possible I only ask for answers. I've been patronized enough by family and my elders in regards to what I want to do, but allow me to prove myself wrong; my mind won't be changed any other way. Thank you for your time.

1. Honestly probably not, your chances of "fighting" or seeing combat even as an infantryman are pretty slim now. Much slimmer as an armorer of any sort.

2. You will have to fulfill at least half of your obligated 4 year contract, even then lat moving into the infantry field is gonna be tough. Your MOS and command has to let you go in order to lat move and there needs to be seats open in the new MOS/field to let you in

3. Security forces is a contracted MOS itself or can be obtained as a b-billet of sorts. You get selected for it out of the infantry field. Which pretty much goes back to my previous answer, you will have to fulfill a few years of your first enlistment before you will even be considered for any sort of lat move, b-billet, special duty, etc...

I hate to burst your bubble about all this but you need to understand with the Corps drawing down in Afghanistan and going back to a peacetime/garrison mode service everything you think of the Marine Corps being and doing is going to much different in the next few years.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lava Dog View Post
    You should of told your recruiter that you would refuse to ship unless you got infantry. You say you're disappointed with your MOS and this is a terrible way to begin your USMC adventure. I hope you didn't set yourself up for a long disappointing enlistment.

I don't see them letting you lat move, especially into the 03xx field during your first enlistment. At about your two year mark you can try to request a lat move.

And I don't understand what you possibly qualifying for SF has to do with your situation.

Enjoy your 90 day paid vacation!
    Regardless, I'm still thrilled to be going in two days. Wherever the Corps needs me, I'll be happy. Thank you both for your honesty.

You won't get to fight most likely, 312 Arty right next to me in Oki aren't going. We all want to go get some man. Just serve your time honorably, train hard, and wait.

Unless we get into another shooting war, the grunts won't be doing any fighting either. The politicians, and the American people, are over war. Our economy is in shambles in large part due to the costs of the Iraq and Afghan conflicts. There is a lot of potential out there with Iran and North Korea but unless we just don't have a choice, I don't see us committing ground forces anytime soon. The French are heavily involved in North Africa now so maybe you could look at joining the French Foreign Legion.

Lateral moves are normally used as reenlistment incentives at the end of your contract. Moving to a different MOS only half-way through your enlistment is extremely rare (remember, the USMC just spent a lot of money training you in your current MOS and they want a return on the investment).

Thread Information