What got you through Boot Camp?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

What got you through Boot Camp?

Hello Everyone. I intend to join the Marine Corps before my mid twenties to serve. I've done research but research can never be as real as living through it. To all Marines, excuse me if this question sucks. But what got you through the toughest training in our military? I understand you probably didn't have a choice, but how did you cope with it? Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 01-19-13 at 05:40 PM.

Thread closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name........site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. When profile is complete, PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum and thread will be re-opened.

Profile complete......thread re-opened.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Determination and motivation. Simple as that.

I haven't posted in a long time, so feel honored.
    Definitely join before your mid 20s.. everyone I've talked to that's above the age of 24 seems to walk around with a problem because a lot of them can't handle a 20 year old telling them what to do. Well, that 20 year old joined when he was 17 and he knows how stuff works.
    So, younger, the better. Just have common sense and the guts to stick up for yourself (at certain times).

Basically to sum up my boot camp time: I learned "it is what it is". That simple statement sums up the entire time I was there. It taught me that yes, there is stupid things happening to me right now. Yes, there is things that I don't want to do or things that may hurt physically or mentally, BUT, those things have to be done. They must be done and I will try my hardest to adapt to this environment and survive.

That's what I got out of it.

Have a good one.

-Yonkers

Credits
    Savings
    It's sorta like putting a carrot on a string and then on a stick,,, you only hold the string-stick- and carrot and you earn the carrot at the end...

Or a walk somewhere for a journey you wish to make,,you do it one step at a time to finish the
    journey..

You want the title ??? You Earn it

PS Yonkers,, congrats on the bloodstripe brother.
    We thought you 'd been over the hill....

When I went to bootcamp (1972) our DI's put their hands on us (whether they were allowed to or not). It only took one time of having the wind knocked out of me for me to have all the motivation I ever need to graduate from MCRDSD in one piece (all because I had left my footlocker unlocked).

knowing that the fastest way off the island was to graduate, and i never let it get me too down, i was always laughing and **** when i got screamed at or something, which got me ****ed up even more but it put me in a better mental position to be there and make it all the way through

Cars! I love nice cars and often thought of what I will do to mine once I got out. Seeing all the cars and trucks owned by drill instructors and officers was enough motivation for me!

I though about my dad and how much harder is must have been back then. It wasn't easy but I'm sure I wasn't beat as much as he was in the process.

I mean, it doesn't really matter though. Just focus on your next meal, make it there alive and don't quit on yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by PvtShane View Post
    I mean, it doesn't really matter though. Just focus on your next meal, make it there alive and don't quit on yourself.
    This ^ "Chow to chow, sunday to sunday". Break your day up into sections like that and you'll be golden. By third phase you'll be so used to everything and know what's going on, so it's a lot easier to handle all the random stuff... some things actually get really funny.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Determination and motivation. Simple as that.
    X2

You're not doing anything somebody else before you hasn't already done. What it comes down to is, what is it worth to you. Are you willing to do what it takes to graduate, or are you just going to flunk out and go home a failure? You have to decide for yourself what's something's worth. Somethings just come with a heavier price, like being a U.S. Marine, and you have to decide if your willing to pay.

What got me through boot camp? Not a bad question.

It was fairly simple. The quickest way to get away from those 3 ugly NCOs with the smokeys was to do as I was told....and do it quickly.

It was towards the end that I figured out...those 3 ugly NCOs were doing the job to the best of their ability and training me to do my job to the best of my ability.

Thread Information