What will 0341 actually do in Afghanistan?
Create Post

What will 0341 actually do in Afghanistan?

Suppose my son will be going to Afghanistan in the fall as a mortarman with a weapons company. He says he probably won't even leave the base. I say he is only telling us that so we won't worry. Please be honest. What is he actually likely to be doing over there?

Similar Threads:

Let's be honest. If your son is in mortars, the chance of him being in the rear are slim to none. Unless he's scrubbing pots, burning honey buckets or the general's driver, your son will eventually go out and support the infantry. Having said this, remember that he's been trained so he's not going to be sand surfing on his own. Be proud he's part of a very good combat team. He'll do fine.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by robengineer View Post
    Suppose my son will be going to Afghanistan in the fall as a mortarman with a weapons company. He says he probably won't even leave the base. I say he is only telling us that so we won't worry. Please be honest. What is he actually likely to be doing over there?
    The mortarman that was with us either A) Sat back in the fob waiting, hoping, and praying a fire mission would come that they could effectively engage or B) signed up the night before for the next days Patrols and went outside the wire with the rest of the 03's. Being a 41 does not exempt him from any other Infantry Job, they do what they can where they are needed.

Thread Information