Medical Waiver - IBS
Create Post

Medical Waiver - IBS

Background Information:
    I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) when I was 12 years old. IBS is characterized by symptoms. It does not show up in blood work or other tests. I was having stomach aches all the time. By the time I got to college, and was cooking for myself, the symptoms/stomach aches were non-existent. Growing up in an Irish household, everything was coated in butter, made with milk, and I was drinking about 4 glasses of milk a day on top of that. When I scaled all of that back, I was good to go. I can still handle those items, I'm just not over doing it like I was.

Situation:
    I want the opportunity to become a Marine; however, I came across the following in my research:

"Physical Standards for Enlistment, Appointment, and Induction

c. Small and large intestine.

(1) Current or history of inflammatory bowel disease, including, but not limited to unspecified (558.9), regional enteritis or Crohn's disease (555), ulcerative colitis (556), or ulcerative proctitis (556), is disqualifying.

(4) Current or history of irritable bowel syndrome (564.1) of sufficient severity to require frequent intervention or to interfere with normal function is disqualifying."

I understand that IBS is a PDQ; however, I do not believe I have IBS. If I did, I wouldn't be able to handle items such as milk, butter, and all the other items on a list provided to me by a doctor. I found out that people are often misdiagnosed with IBS. I decided to go to a doctor to get it in writing that I do not have IBS. In terms of testing, I did the whole nine yards by request. Including lots of blood work and even the dreaded colonoscopy. As stated previously, IBS does not show up in these types of tests in particular. However, I would have had ulcers in my stomach, colon, and vitamin deficiencies. Non of these were the case, yet my doctor refused to state that I did not have IBS.

I would like to know if anyone has experience in the matter with obtaining a waiver for IBS in a situation like this. Is this something that is going to waste the recruiter's time as it will not be waived? If it is waived, will MEPS allow this?

I would greatly appreciate any pertinent information.