Jump school?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jump school?

Jump school?

Hello Marines!
    Does it matter what MOS you have in order to attend jump school? or is it only for RECON and PR? I ship to Boot Camp 1/28/13, my Job is crypto lingust. Will my MOS prevent me from qualifying for jump school?

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Anything is possible, but don't count on going to jump school unless you are in a billet requiring it (Recon, PR, ANGLICO, etc). The few seats available to Marines are taken quickly by those MOS'.

Bummer! Oh well, Anythings possible right? I've already been skydiving and it was awsome. I would just llike to do it with the Marines, hopfully I can.

Thank you very much for the feedback Zulu36!

And thank you for your service.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You can continue skydiving as an off-duty activity while in the Corps. I did. But you can't wear jump wings on your uniform.

Military jumping is different than skydiving unless you go to military freefall school and that is about impossible unless you are Recon on SpecOps.

Yeah I will probably just end up doing that. Your profile says you were in air national gaurd? What exactly is that?

Last edited by Zulu 36; 12-17-12 at 08:46 AM.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PoolEBoudreau View Post
    Yeah I will probably just end up doing that. Your profile says you were in air national gaurd? What exactly is that?
    It's part of a state's National Guard (or militia as it used to be known). There is the Army Guard and the Air Guard. They are considered reserves of the Army or Air Force, depending.

We wore USAF uniforms and followed AF regs, etc., but we technically came under the command of the Governor unless federalized (which I was several times).

Interesting. So were you considered Air Force?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Interesting. So were you considered Air Force?
    Technically, yes. I'm on the Air Force Reserves retired list now.

Do you still jump?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Do you still jump?
    No, I gave that up some time ago. My body won't take it now.

That sucks, you do have quite a decorated history in the military. Thank you for your extensive service.

Not entirely true Zulu, I'm a 1371 as an E-2, back from my 1st deployment who was sitting in the company office on an unrelated matter, when the 1st shirt came out of his office and he said I NEED 2 knuckleheads for jump school...... YOU and YOU. Your on orders, get to S-1 and give em your names. As Zulu said it's very Rare But it does happen. 1371's in my time..................'79' to '89' rated 4 per company. Just saying

Yeah but my MOS has nothing to do with jump school that I know of.

What he is saying is that drug deals can be made and pretty much anyone can get a seat at jump school. There are a lot of seats out there, and they often go unfilled. The issue is most commands don't have any jump billets. You don't need a jump billet to go to jump school, but if your unit doesn't have a jump billet, they don't have reserved seats...so they have to borrow or trade for one somehow. More likely than not your unit will not know how, or be willing to make the effort, to go through that trouble. Also, if your unit doesn't have a jump billet, and you are not assigned to that billet, you won't get jump pay.

That being said, the most common way for a non-jumping MOS to get jump school is via reenlistment bonus (vice monetary bonus). Then the school seat comes from a different pot. With you being a crypto linguist I am not sure if you will be assigned a unit with jump seats. Even if your MOS doesn't normally rate/require jump school...if you get assigned to a battalion with jump seats you could potentially sneak into one of their spots.

Static line jumping is nowhere near free fall. The static line activates your chute via gravity when you fall out of your aircraft. You hit the ground very hard, particularly in jump school where you use ghetto equipment and chutes (MC10's maybe? I can't remember...the round ones with holes all over them). If you jump out of the side of a prop plane, you really won't even have a sensation of falling because you will be jumping in front of the prop wash, which will confuse your body. The only jumps I thought were fun (in school) were the night ones because they were relaxing and peaceful. In the fleet, if you are at a jumping unit, you will have better chutes and mostly jump from helicopters. This is more fun because the landing is softer and you actually have the sensation of falling.

But definitely check out any MWR opportunities at your duty station for civilian free falling. A lot of Marines do that stuff recreationally and you may find an MWR related club or discount.

Thread Information