Jump school? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jump school?

I was Motor t (originally) and I got jump qualed. Whoahhh

Just have to be at the right place at the right time, and have polished boots.

They really need to stop calling it jump school/qualed cause it's all about that landing/PLF.

But seriously -- it's like hussaf said.

It's not hard to get there, definitely not a hard school, but it's always a shot in the dark whether or not you go unless you need to go. Then you go. Make sense?

Capice?

Good luck.

Thanks hussaf, I will definatly try to get a seat in jump school. I mainly just want the wings, I know its not like AFF that you expierience in skydiving. What is MWR? Do you have to qualify for it? would I be able to do it while in the fleet?

LOL I guess JUMPING OUT is the easy part

Thanks wookie!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoolEBoudreau View Post
    I mainly just want the wings
    So you want to go to jump school, take a seat from say a recon bubba or maybe some NCO that was his re-enlistment incentive just so you can wear a small shiny silver thing on your uniform...??...

SMH

I don't want to take a seat from anybody that needs it more than me. like what hussaf said if there is an availible seat, i'll take it. If not, I won't. Ive always wanted to do something that had to do with jumping from planes in the military, Wearing those wings would show that i've been through jump school and that i've earned them. I would be proud to wear them.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I don't want to take a seat from anybody that needs it more than me. like what hussaf said if there is an availible seat, i'll take it. If not, I won't. Ive always wanted to do something that had to do with jumping from planes in the military, Wearing those wings would show that i've been through jump school and that i've earned them. I would be proud to wear them.
    As you should be, but to say "I mainly want to wear the wings" sounds extremely selfish and serves no purpose the Corps when there is Marines out there that actually rate jump school seats but don't get the opportunity to go.

Understood, it was not my intent to sound selfish.

Don't worry about the 'wear the wings thing.' Its just that you want to do something to distinguish yourself from others. That's not a terrible thing, but realize that you will be forever labelled a "five jump chump" by those who actually have a jump billet. Basically, unless you get to a jumping unit, you will forever rock your lead sleds...the grey/pewter jump wings vice the gold wings most Marines wear. That outs you as a guy who just went to jump school and never jumped again (the five jumps)...basically what joseph was saying...you will be outed as a dude who went to jump school just to go, not because you needed to. Now, being that I've been there I will say plenty of Marines screw up their jump seat just because they can't pass the Army PRT (PFT). Yeah, I know what I just said, and its true. This is why you have to go to jump school days early...to do a practice PRT before school convenes on Monday and you have to do the actual PRT at 0400. There are rumors that Army cadre screw with Marines over proper pushups...but I never experienced that. I was treated real well by the Army cadre...plus there was Marine cadre there (yeah, they are there because they got in trouble). You have to realize that a jump class is freaking huge; I was platoon sergeant at Jump School (they almost always pick Marines as plt sgts) and my "platoon" started off with 202 people. So yeah, they are huge classes and there are a ton of seats available.

PoolEBoudreau: You said: “I will definatly try to get a seat in jump school. I mainly just want the wings…”

I know what you meant by that, so don’t take exception when I say “good luck with that”….. Most Poolees think the same way, until they find out what it takes to get the “Gold Wings”. You’re busted - You can’t take it back after you’ve said it. Just kidding……..but, it’s true, so don’t ever tell your NCO’s that when you get to the fleet.

Your chances of being able to wear the “Jump Wings” are actually pretty slim.

Earning and being authorized to actually wear the “Gold Jump Wings” will be nearly impossible, unless you reup and get a different MOS. Like Recon, ANGLICO, Radio Recon, Rigger, etc. You’ll see why by reading on…..

I’ll add some more info. to the excellent responses that have been provided.

The Basic Parachutist Badge, (also commonly referred to as "Jump Wings" (or the ”Lead Sled” – folded Silver Wings) is a universal military badge awarded to members of the United States Army, Air Force, Marine Corps and Navy. To be eligible for the award of the Basic Parachutist Badge, an individual must have completed the Airborne School of the Infantry School in Fort Benning, GA.

It isn’t really difficult to get a slot for the “Army School”, because the classes are REALLY large and they fill the slots from either the Army, Air Force, Navy or Marines. If selected to attend, before one gets to start the “actual Jump School”, you have to pass the Army PT test. It isn’t difficult for Marines, BUT, the push-up portion is tedious, because the Army is pretty anal on the push-ups being done the exact way the instructors want them to be done. Many did a lot of “non sat” pushups. Back in the day, the Army instructors, really like to “screw with” the Marines. AND the Marines loved to “smoke” the Army PT test. It’s still just the Army Airborne school, OK……

Now, there is a big difference between the Army “Basic Parachutist Badge” and the Navy and Marine Corps Parachutist Insignia, commonly referred to as Gold Jump Wings.

Marine Corps Order 3120.11 states that (paraphrased):
    “…..in order to receive the Navy and Marine Corps Parachutist Insignia, a Marine MUST serve in a billet identification code for parachute duty for at least 90 days and conduct at least an additional five jumps to the initial five, done at the U.S. Army Airborne Course at Fort Benning, Ga.

The five additional jumps (for a total of 10 jumps) include transitioning to the MC-7 series parachute and conducting a day “slick” jump, followed by two day combat-equipment jumps, then the same for night, respectively, plus one more of any type. The jumps must also originate from two different types of aircraft. However, if a Marine loses familiarity with the standard operating procedures within 180 days, a Marine must take a refresher – basically, eight more hours of classes and the jumps necessary to equal or exceed 10 total jumps.”

So….unless you’re in a Jump Billet (like Recon, ANGLICO, etc.) you’ll likely never get a chance to do the five additional jumps. It’s difficult for someone who isn’t actually in a jump billet, to get the chance to take the extra 5 jump training and complete the additional 5 jumps in a normal timeframe.

Often, even for Marines in a Jump Billet (like Recon), they get stuck on those night jumps, and if they don’t do it in a certain amount of time, they have to do all the jumps over again, according to the (Marine Corps) order.” So, for some, it’s a difficult process to get completed. I’m not saying “It’s that hard to do”, rather, It’s difficult in actually getting it done.

BTW, as stated, you also have to be in a “jump billet” to get (and wear) the Gold Jump Wings. After you earn the lead sled, you can have as many additional jumps as you can get (10, 15, etc.), but if you are NOT in a jump billet then you’re authorized to only wear the Silver Wings. You’re still viewed as “a Five Jump Chump”. That’s why you likely see Marines wearing the Silver Wings; Or, even that many Marines wearing the Gold Jump Wings – unless of course, you’re in Recon, ANGLICO, or Radio Recon units. Then it’s quite common to see Marines wearing the Gold Wings. Aside from the actual Basic School, I don’t remember seeing any Marines wearing the Silver Wings on their uniform. The ONLY other Marines I’ve seen wearing the Gold Jump wings, were DIs at MCRD; or Officers.

Back in my day, the wearing of the Gold Jump Wings by a Marine meant ONLY two things:

(1) You earned them; AND you were IN an actual Recon/ANGLICO unit with a jump billet (or a DI from a Recon/ANGLICO Unit); OR,

(2) You were a Poser.

While I’m pretty sure the regs. I quoted are correct, I’m not sure as to how the Gold Jump Wings are actually worn in the various Marine Corps units nowadays.

Good luck on earning your EGA.

Oh, yeah – final thought. If anyone asks:

“Why would you want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane”….. Just reply: “There is no such thing as “a perfectly good airplane”……

Shadow, AR….

Thanks Shadow, dang! I don't really want to be called a chump! lol! Im just not going jack with it, unless I do any thing like Recon or ANGLICO. Thanks you Marines for the heads up, it's better to learn this kind of stuff now then later in the fleet. Sorry if sounded like a dumb lil poolee lol

BTW, hussaf mentioned something earlier in this post about MWR? what is that?

Last edited by Lisa 23; 12-21-12 at 05:06 PM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    BTW, hussaf mentioned something earlier in this post about MWR? what is that?
    Morale, Welfare, and Recreation

Like an enlisted club where Marines/service members can go on their time off to relax. Usually there is TV's, video games, pool table, and other various activities along with a snack bar/soda mess.

Do you know if that includes skydiving?

So The MWR is often an actual building where junior Marines go hang out. They have internet, junk food, pool tables, movies, games, etc. What I was referring to are the MWR programs, I think they fall under the Marine Corps Community Services, that provide recreational opportunities for Marines. Things like MWR away trips to a variety of events, SCUBA diving courses, beach equipment rentals, gun ranges, skeet ranges, etc are often provided at cheap rates for Marines. I'm not sure if MWR is the absolutely correct term, but that's what my friends and I always call it.

I don't really want to be called a chump!
    Look, if somebody who doesn't have gold jump wings call you a chump because you have silver wings I would laugh in their face and tell them to pound sand. Nasty legs.

There is a big misconception out there that Marines who don't "rate" wings take spots from Marine that do. And that couldn't be farther from the truth. There are countless seats that go unfilled to each jump class. The reason why Marines in jump roles don't get seats more often is to to a lot of things, mostly timing and money. But definitely not due to some admin or security forces Marine taking a spot. Give me a break.

Back on point, I doubt MWR on base is going to offer civilian jumping, but it cant hurt to check, they organize a lot of good trips. So I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

But what you can do if you want is look in the area where you're stationed for a jump club. Chances are there's a jump club or two located at or near every major military base.

Thread Information