0600 Chances of combat
Create Post

0600 Chances of combat

Marines,
    Hello, my name is Ian and i am new to the forum. First let me say thanks to everyone and please correct me if i am addressing anyone improperly or otherwise using improper etiquette. today i finally signed into my MOS and unfortunately it was not my first choice but it still seems like a good job. i originally wanted 0300 with security force in the contract but that was not available and because of my high EL score and good overall ASVAB score i qualified for 0600 with a bonus. i have been doing electrical work for about 5 years now so this field will fit me well but i did really want to be infantry with a security force billet. Anyways i am wondering if any 0600 MOS gets in the position to be attached with an infantry platoon. I am ok with doing the communications work but deep down i want to take it to the enemy personally, i guess that just runs in my family blood. Anyhow i hope some of you Marines will be kind enough to shed some light on my chosen MOS. Thanks again.
    Ian

Similar Threads:

if you become a 0621 field radio operator you could. But heres the thing, with the war dying down as an 0311 you might not even see combat. Who knows. But there are opertunities in that field to get attached to infantry unites. However if you really want to be infantry with a security forces billet (not sure why u want this billet) you should go for it or else it will haunt you. But the 0600 field as I understand it is a pretty good field.

Finharder, thank you for the response, i am interested in the security force billet because the CQB training is just personally appealing and also my brother did the same thing and i like the things he told me about his time as a security force Marine. i do see how not taking it could haunt me but now that im getting a little older im thinking a little less gung ho and more about my future outside of the Corps. not that im not dedicated to becoming a Marine i just see how the 0600 field can set me up for success for the rest of my life where as infantry gives me less civilian options. also if i find that communications just isnt what i want, i am ok with serving my time in that field and trying for a lateral movement (i've done some research but not sure how feasible that is). Anyhow thanks again for your quick response, i will look more into 0621. And if you know anything about Lateral movements like that could you please share your info?
    Thanks Ian

Its good that you are thinking about things outside of the Corps for when you are done. 0600 is a good field for that type of things, take a look at the different mos's in it, some are more valuable than others for the civilian world (0621 isn't neccisarily one of them though).

As for lat moving I don't think it would happen within your first enlistment, youd have to re-enlist and lat move into the 03 community which would be very tough to do and very tough to be accepted in if you did. Lat moves, especially these days within 2 years are very rare but i also don't know much about it just that it is not likely. Think it over and make sure what you do is what you really want. 0621 is a pretty diverse field, however you could be in an airwing unit or some other far flung unit, or pound ground with the grunts. It's a toss up but maybe theyll let you go where you want if you do well enough in mos school.

Finharder, Thanks again for the info, i have about 5 weeks until i leave for the island so over the next week or so im going to really think and make sure i want the 0600 and if not ill have to get my recruiter to change it up for me. i kinda thought the Marine Corps would be hard pressed to lat move someone they trained for communications into 03. Anyways ill probably be back on here before i leave to ask a few more things. Thanks again for helping me out.

If you want a chance at combat, go to a regular grunt battalion. Security forces Bubbas go to places like 8th & I gaurding the president etc. without even deploying there entire enlistement.

Thanks Spence, i ended up staying with the 0600. i like the skill ill be learning and if i become a radio operator then i can still deploy with an infantry platoon. as for the security forces i was more interested in the F.A.S.T teams, my brother did that and he was deployed to Bahrain and London and saw combat surprisingly in London but guarding the president or a nuclear base would be boring for sure. i see you are an 0351, can you shed some light on what the 0621 radio operators did with your unit? i am under the impression that they are right there with you Marines calling in artillery or air support. Thanks again

Last edited by Lisa 23; 12-13-12 at 04:27 PM.

If you like the CQB aspect you still can go the Security Forces route through FAST ( Fleet Anti-Terrorism Team) which is the same school, training and parent command.

http://www.mcsfr.marines.mil/

S/F,
    CEYA!

Thanks Ceya, i checked out the link but i couldnt find anything about non infantry Marines joining. i was under the impression that only 0300 Marines could join. My brother was part of a FAST team and he had to be infantry and could only do security forces for 2 years as a B billet. i dont think i completely understand what you are telling me, if you could clarify i would really appreciate it. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by igrundvig View Post
    saw combat surprisingly in London
    Care to elaborate on that?

You won't be a non-03 heading to FAST anyway, you'll be a boot 03 straight out of SOI. As a boot/new Marine you can only be an 03 to get into MCSF.

I'm also curious why if your brother was a FAST Marine that you are so uninformed on how things work in that particular field.

You won't be a non-03 heading to FAST anyway, you'll be a boot 03 straight out of SOI. As a boot/new Marine you can only be an 03 to get into MCSF.
    That is what i thought, but Ceya said i can still go the security force route in his post. As for my brother he was stationed in London on what he called a SKIF i believe. im not sure the exact year but it was around 2000, someone dressed as a Navy officer was trying to get in so his team was alerted and he saw him and ran him down, he also cleared some buildings with suspected terrorists and took fire. im not sure what you mean by uninformed, i stated that i thought only 03 Marines could be MCSF and as you said that is correct. Also he was active over 10 years ago so i thought perhaps things could have changed. Anyways i am still sticking with 0600 so security forces is not an option for me now. Thanks for your reply

I gave another route.

I did not pick up on that your brother was in FAST.

You can see about doing OTJ (On The Job) training to transfer into a Grunt MOS.

Those are for guys who been with the grunts mostly and trained with them alot.

Since they know what to expect already.

You will have to see once in the fleet.

S/F,
    CEYA!

Quote Originally Posted by igrundvig View Post
    cleared some buildings with suspected terrorists and took fire.
    I don't know what he told you, but this didn't happen in real life. Or with real rounds, he might have taken some sim rounds on a drill.

You can send him here and I will gladly speak to him myself.

I know for a FACT that no MCSF or FAST Marines have "taken fire" in and around London, in and around 2000.

That would make national headlines.

Didn't happen, end of story.

Stop the madness.

Thread Information