MCT -- Need help FAST!
Create Post
    Registered User Free Member Pvt Crybaby's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

MCT -- Need help FAST!

My boot leave ends tonight. Tomorrow, I get on a Greyhound for MCT.

There's one small problem.

The briefing on what we were to take wasn't quite adequate, because I have NO IDEA what they really expect me to bring. I checked the SOI website and their information corresponded with what I believed to be commonsense -- bring your utilities and boots and all your hygiene gear, etc. etc.

What about my clothing bag full of my service and dress uniforms? Do I need ALL FIVE of my utility uniforms? Do I need my ICBs AND my jungle boots? Can I throw out that ridiculous "idiot rag"? Do I need the extra seabag we were issued? What will happen to the diddy bag full of magazines and junk food I'm bringing to survive the 16 hour ride there?

I'd REALLY appreciate a Marine who's recently been through MCT to help this new, wet-behind-the-ears devil dog figure out what the hell he's supposed to bring along.

Also, should I wear my Service A on the busride or should I wear civvies and change before reporting? That's probably more of a preference thing, but I could be wrong. It's always best to double check with someone who knows.

Thanks a lot!

Semper Fi,

Private Huff

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    Until and unless someone comes by with a more up-to-date answer and advice, THIS is what I would do;

1. I would bring my ENTIRE basic issue.

2. I would bring hygiene gear, to include thongs, shower shoes, flip-flops or whatever they are called now.

3. I would bring "casual" civilian clothes for lounging around, weekends, and "liberty" if any.

4. I would bring the extra sea bag only if I had enough |"extra" things to put into it to make carrying it worthwhile.

5. The "diddy bag" is yours.

6. For a 16 hour busride, I would wear civvies, and change before reporting in. I"d hate to report in wearing clothes I had been wearing for the past 16 hours on a bus.

Take into consideration the weather where you are and where you are going. Pack accordingly. (As a tourist, I flew into Korea, temp. 17 degrees F, wearing loafers, trousers and a short sleeve shirt. No big problem if you are used to it, but I was coming from Hawaii.)

I think this general advice will keep you out of trouble. If anyone has more personal and practical knowledge concerning MCT, then take their advice.

Registered User Free Member Pvt Crybaby's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you, sir. Your advice is really appreciated, especially given such short notice. True, I should have made sure I understood what I was supposed to bring before I started to enjoy my boot leave, but it didn't hit me until I started to pack that carrying all that crap and trying to stuff it into a seabag seemed unpractical.

I suppose they'll have an ironing board and whatever else I'll need to "unf***" my service uniforms, because there's no way I can put all that gear into one -- or even two -- seabags without mussing up the creases and whatnot.

Thanks a million, sir.

Semper Fi!

Private Huff, USMC

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    One of the things they should have taught you was how to pack. There is an art to it.

You may want to invest in a small steam iron. You'd be amazed at what you could make, renting it out.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My husband took all his uniforms with him to MCT (February '03), along with one pair of civilian clothing. He is non-infantry- they were not permitted to change into civilian clothing at any time during MCT- not even during libo.

good luck!

Registered User Free Member BC22's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Didn't they issue you a "body bag" for your uniforms, Pvt Crybaby?

Thread Information