PI vs SD
Create Post

Thread: PI vs SD

PI vs SD

Two questions: Do you get sent to a MCRD based on your current residency, or where you sign the contract?

I live on the west side of the Mississippi river, near the edge, and was wondering if it is possible to go to PI if i enlist at a recruiting office on the east side of the river?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    It's not split directly by the Mississippi River, it's based on the recruiting district. Your district is more than likely considered "west" and you'll go to SD. You really don't get a choice unless you're a legacy, like your dad and grandfather went to PI.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    It's not split directly by the Mississippi River,

You really don't get a choice unless you're a legacy,
    like your dad ,
    or grandfather went to PI.
    SD legacy's also i'm pretty sure incase you enlist EastCoast

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    you're right

It's not split directly by the Mississippi River, it's based on the recruiting district.

Thanks Marines

Last edited by Lisa 23; 10-25-12 at 06:58 AM. Reason: They've EARNED the title.....how about thanks Marines, not guys.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just my opinion, but I would say it all boils down to where the Corps has places to fill at any given time. Not like recruits have to take a train to get to the MCRD! A recruits' inconvenience is no matter of concern to the Corps. Or, at least, it didn't used to be, back in the days of 'Yore! LOL!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DWG View Post

Just my opinion,
    but I would say it all boils down to where the Corps,
    has places to fill at any given time.

Not like recruits have to take a train to get to the MCRD!
    A recruits' inconvenience is no matter of concern to the Corps.
    Or, at least, it didn't used to be,
    back in the days of 'Yore! LOL!
    Before SanDiego came into existence..P I , was the only spot in the nation training US Marine Recruits.

Wouldn't you now think they keep the recruits as close as home as possible as so the PARENTS can attend GRADUATIONS ???

Makes it good for PR....

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    It's not split directly by the Mississippi River, it's based on the recruiting district. Your district is more than likely considered "west" and you'll go to SD. You really don't get a choice unless you're a legacy, like your dad and grandfather went to PI.
    Not true in 1979, I enlisted from WI and was given a choice,and I was not a legacy. I know 2 people who enlisted Last year, 1 in Illinois and 1 In Louisiana ( 2 different districts) and they were both given the choice.

Credits
    Savings
    I know of two friends that were from N.east Ohio and they went to SD back in the late sixties.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooger View Post
    Not true in 1979, I enlisted from WI and was given a choice,and I was not a legacy. I know 2 people who enlisted Last year, 1 in Illinois and 1 In Louisiana ( 2 different districts) and they were both given the choice.
    ok...

My point to the kid asking was that where you go to boot camp is not based on whether you enlist on direct opposite sides of the Mississippi River. I am from MN, that is like me enlisting in St. Paul instead of Minneapolis just so I can go to PI. I had a few guys I went to boot camp with in SD that were from Eastern states (AR and LA) so I know it's possible.

But thank you for under minding my post and letting this kid think he'll get a choice as to where he wants to go

Undermining your post? LMAO! Methinks you've had too much kool aid youngster

Look, In general, if you live in a state that boarders the Mississippi river you WILL be given the Choice and thats STRAIGHT From The HEAD recruiters Mouth here in Pittsburgh, how does he know? I asked him and he Checked with HQMC, (I'm helping a youngster trying to enlist)

Carry on

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gkmoz View Post
    I know of two friends that were from N.east Ohio and they went to SD back in the late sixties.

I would guess that, back then, both MCRDs were working at capacity. You were sent where they had room. Cheapest probably always won out in a pinch (bus fare versus air). Boils down to; ya goes where they sends ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Rooger View Post
    Undermining your post? LMAO! Methinks you've had too much kool aid youngster

Look, In general, if you live in a state that boarders the Mississippi river you WILL be given the Choice and thats STRAIGHT From The HEAD recruiters Mouth here in Pittsburgh, how does he know? I asked him and he Checked with HQMC, (I'm helping a youngster trying to enlist)

Carry on
    Thanks for putting forth the effort! Sounds like this is the most promising answer i have received.

Here's an idea: Go down to a recruiter's office, open the front door, walk in, and ask to speak to a recruiter about your options and ask him/her.

Thread Information