Enlisted Aircrew Questions
Create Post

Enlisted Aircrew Questions

I have a few questions for any enlisted aircrew Marines out there. Let me start with some info about myself: I am 18, just graduated high school, i am currently taking classes at a community college, and i have wanted to join the Marine Corps since I was 11. I wear contacts but I am willing to get LASIK or something similar if needed. I have talked to a recruiter on several occasions and I want to go into the Enlisted Aircrew field. I haven't signed any papers yet because I want to get as much info about the Marines and Enlisted Aircrew as possible. My questions are:
    1) What is it like in the AG field
    2) Did you enjoy being in the field
    3) What were deployments like
    4) What was the transition back to the civilian world like
    5) What is Marine life like
    I appreciate any help that I can get. I would like answers from anyone in AG field from mechanics to crew chiefs.

7382 - Loadmaster/Aerial Refueling Observer/ Airborne Radio Operator here.

I joined with the AG field, because I thought I would be a door gunner. I thought I would be like the guy from Full Metal Jacket, "How do you kill women and children?" "It's easy! You just don't lead em as much! Anyone running is a VietCong! Anyone not running is a well-disciplined VietCong!"

Well I graduate aircrew school, requested CH-53s, CH-46s or MV-22s. I have perfect vision. I got C-130s - Crew Chief. I was disappointed, but kept chuggin along. I go to AD school (PowerPlant Mechanic), get top of my class along with my buddy who got the same score as me. Gunny comes in, says you did great at Powerplant Mechanic school, you are going to be Loadmasters. Once again I am disappointed! I go to Loadmaster School, I do good there as well. Get to the fleet, more training. Never thought I was ever going to see the fleet, considering all the training took about 2 years if not more. Finally get to the fleet, on an aircraft that I didn't want, with a job that I didn't want; I had a blast. I have been to more countries than I can count, and I have more real world experience than most people 3 times my age. I learned a lot, I worked a lot, and I partied A LOT. Deployments are deployments. C-130s are definitely more POG than Helo guys, so we must just do transport and aerial refueling.

Transition back to the civilian world can be a bit tough, depending on how quickly you can adapt to a new/old environment. Marines curse too much, smoke too much, and altogether give fewer "cares" about trivial civilian problems. You learn to adapt in the Marine Corps, and that is helpful in the civilian world. 2 years after I got out, I work as a security consultant and systems administrator at Autodesk. I also go to school (community college) part-time. $22/hour at work, plus $1k a month from Post 9/11 G.I. Bill.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

I keep hearing about all of the "malfunctions" those C130's happen to have over exotic European nations..

Thank you Sergeant, i will be sure to let you know if i have more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW2011 View Post
    I keep hearing about all of the "malfunctions" those C130's happen to have over exotic European nations..
    Only happened a few times in Hawaii, Philippines, Thailand, Portugal, Mongolia, and a few others I can't remember (alcohol has that effect).

Thread Information