Advice on the PFT Run
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice on the PFT Run

Good Afternoon,

I have a PFT coming up in 14 days, and my OSO informs me that it will be my last shot with their office. I've failed my last two PFTs due to the run. My first PFT I did 19 pulls, 93 sit ups, and a 32 minute 3-mile. 2nd PFT I did 15 pulls, 100 sit ups, and didn't finish the 3-mile after getting sick midway through.

I've been working hard on my running for the past month, earlier this week I did a practice run and my time was 27:30. Better than my previous, but still not the 24:00 or less needed to pass. I've been alternating my runs, doing interval training one day, speed mile one day, endurance run (5-6 miles) one day, and 3 mile runs two other days, giving myself 2 (non-consecutive) days off to rest my legs.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get to that 24:00 minute mark or lower within 2 weeks?

There is really no "quick" way to improve your run time so drastically in such a short amount of time. The best advice that I can give you, is to try to run the same event that you are trying to complete. If you are doing the IST, then do your 1.5 miles. If you are doing an actual PFT, then go for the 3 miles. Your goal should be to take 10-15 seconds off your time, each time you do the run. Make sure that you are properly hydrated; this doesn't mean that you drink water right before the run. You should be drinking plenty of water throughout the entire day, and before you go to sleep. You would be surprised what proper hydration will do for your run time, especially if you got sick last time. You should also have an experienced runner examine your form, if you aren't running as efficiently as you can, then you are wasting your energy and setting off your respiration tempo. Different body types do the run differently, some prefer to pace themselves for the first half, some people push the entire way; it all depends on what works best for you.

Thanks for the quick response, Sergeant.

I believe my problem is that I feel a need to pace myself from the start, to try and conserve energy for the last stretch, but I always feel fine at the end of the run, so I know I could/should have pushed harder. My last failure and the talk my OSO gave me afterward has given me a mental motivation to push past what I was capable of before, yesterday I did my longest run to date (5.3 miles in 56 mins) to help overcome the distance part of it. I get to a point where I'm breathing so heavy and my feet are so loud against the pavement that I know I'm barely moving, and it demotivates me, but I've noticed lately that if I can push through that point by speeding up and controlling my breathing better I get a second-wind and I can run for a while longer while feeling great. Do you know the feeling I'm describing? I'm wondering if there's a way to hit that feeling sooner so I can really hit my stride and do the run at a reasonable pace.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I don't think there is much you are going to be able to do with that kind of time frame to drop that much time off your run time. If this is what you really want I would just suggest an all out max effort and hope you make it in that lower 20m range.

That said, are you really expecting to get selected at the board with a PFT below a 275ish score?....your OSO isn't being very honest with you if he is telling you that you can. Are you trying to make it into PLC or OCC?...As competitive as OCS(both OCC and PLC) seats are right now I don't see you getting selected if you aren't getting your 20 pullups, 100 crunches, and coming in at 22m or below on the run.

Thank you for the response LCpl.

A few things I have failed to mention up to this point: the time between running my 32 min 3 mile and my 27 min 3 mile was about 3
    weeks. Also I am trying for an OCC-R slot, which my OSO informed me is less competitive at this time and will not require the same kind of PFT score.

I believe he had been honest with me up to this point and I'm not sure why he would tell me that if it's not true. But even having said that. As long as I pass this PFT I believe he will give me the opportunity to improve my score between then and the next board. So I'm just looking to pass right now, then I'll spend the next few months until the next board getting my score closer to 300

Run like somebody is chasing you. Run like it matters - cause it does. Sucks it up for 3 miles and make it your goal to puke at the end. Not because you had donuts the night before, but because you pushed yourself that hard. I loved puking after PFT's.

28 minutes is walking pace, for some.

I never worked for an Officer that did not run like the wind - you have a long way to go.

How bad do you want it?

Good luck.

I think your training regime is fine but building up endurance and speed takes time and effort. Knocking that much time off your run in just 14 days is not very realistic but I won't say you can't do it (because part of it is physical ability and part is "want to"). For me, the best way to lower my time was by doing sprint work (which also builds endurance). Work against a stopwatch so you can see your progress. Go to a highschool track, sprint a quarter lap (max effort and check your time). Walk/recover a quarter lap. Repeat as often as necessary. You must train your leg muscles to run fast; if you just jog along at the same pace, your legs will never learn how to go faster. Same principle with lung volumes/breathing; you must train your lungs to operate more efficiently.

I will echo the experience with USMC officers. Can't remember serving with one who could not run (probably because you cannot survive OCS if you can't). You have a long way to go to get to that point.

Good luck.

Thank you both for your responses,

You both made an interesting point about the intensity of the run, (puking, working leg muscles) and as I stated before I always feel fine after a run, so I'm hoping it's a mental thing and I'll be able to push past it. Today is speed training in my regime, but tomorrow is my 2nd 3-mile of the week so hopefully I can test that and push myself to puke and see what kind of time that gives me. I appreciate all the responses and each one has given me that little bit more motivation to push myself to the edge. If any of you are interested I'll update on my progress tomorrow after my run, and after the PFT on the 12th, otherwise thanks for the advice!

By all means, keep us updated on your progress. You have the right attitude, know what you want, and are willing to push yourself to attain it. Can't speak for everyone else here but I for one am pulling for you and want to see you succeed.

Thanks for the support!

Update for the last two days:
    Friday I did a speed mile, and ended up at 7:18, which is my fastest single mile time since high school, so I was pretty proud of that.
    Unfortunately today, after my 3-mile I ended at 26:55. A bit disappointing but I still have over a week of training to go so I'm gonna push harder. Another 3-mile day coming up on Monday, so I'll have tomorrow to recuperate and think about what I did wrong this time.

Thanks for keeping me motivated Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantoon View Post
    Thanks for the support!

Update for the last two days:
    Friday I did a speed mile, and ended up at 7:18, which is my fastest single mile time since high school, so I was pretty proud of that.
    Unfortunately today, after my 3-mile I ended at 26:55. A bit disappointing but I still have over a week of training to go so I'm gonna push harder. Another 3-mile day coming up on Monday, so I'll have tomorrow to recuperate and think about what I did wrong this time.

Thanks for keeping me motivated Marines.
    Don't let the daily up and downs get to you. Look at your progress on a week to week basis. Shoot for improvements, no matter how small - while you keep consistently working out, and you will see it come together in no time. A 7:18 mile is pretty good - nothing to be ashamed of there,, but the key is to get that time into your 3mile.

Good luck.

Good Evening Marines,

Update for the past two days:

Monday: 3 mile time was 26:36, showing minor improvements from Saturday's, but not as big of an improvement as I'd like, hoping to see a major chunk of time taken off this coming Saturday.

Today: Interval Training, I did 1/4 mile intervals with 30-45 seconds of walking rest between each, all of them timed under 1:25 which helped my confidence a lot and showed me that I can control my breathing for a lot longer and a lot faster than I usually do. Hoping these speeds will be worked into my next 3 runs this week.

Tomorrow is a 5-mile, last week's time was nearly 56 minutes, this week I'm shooting for low 40 minute range.
    Friday will be a speed mile, last week was 7:18, this week I'm shooting for under 7.
    Saturday will be another 3-mile with my goal being under 24 minutes.

I'll update on these 3 Saturday Evening.

Thanks again for all the advice and words of encouragement, when I do pass this upcoming PFT it will be thanks to you Marines.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 10-02-12 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Update:

I decided to set up this coming week differently leading up to the PFT so instead of my typical 3 mile run tonight I did some more intervals.

Wednesday's 5 mile went well, not as great as I hoped but I dropped 6 minutes off last week's time, the weather dropped over here this week and I haven't run in cold weather since February so it changed the mechanics a bit.
    Thursday I worked on cross-training and did short sprints.
    Friday's quick mile timed at 7:02 which is a small drop from last week.
    Tonight I did intervals with my average speed ending at 8.5 mph, I cut rest down to under 20 seconds, and did more intervals than last week.

Tomorrow will be a 3 mile, Monday will be more speed work, Tuesday will be a 1-2 mile fast run, Wednesday I'll take off and then the PFT will be either Thurs or Fri, my OSO hasn't let me know for sure yet.

On a side note, I recently bought a weighted vest to help me push past my pull-up plateau, I'm working my numbers back up using it in hopes that when I take it off I'll feel lighter and be able to do more, but my question is whether or not it would be a good idea to do the same with my running. I won't do it leading up to the PFT just to prevent any injury that it might have a chance of causing, but beyond this upcoming PFT I plan to continue working my score up, and was looking for some tips to help push myself further.

Good for you, keep it up. Weighted vests are great, just keep good form - and keep pulling away.

Try to be smart. I know you are up against a short timeline. But, there can be a tight line between pushing yourself and overdoing it resulting in an injury. Running injuries are common and once they happen the first thing you have to do is cut back or stop all together. Adding weight to your joints (weighted vest) is a big gamble. The most important steps you can take to prevent injury are to warm-up and cool-down properly. Trying to do too much too soon is a major cause of injury.

Thread Information