Advice.. Id prefer a recruiter ,but anyone else is just as good.
Create Post

Advice.. Id prefer a recruiter ,but anyone else is just as good.

The female recruiter I have now isnt allowing me to take my asvab,due to me being 7lbs over. Im a female,5'2, im supposed to weigh 136 but I weigh 143. She said before I can even take my asvab I have to make weight. Which to me didnt sound right cause arent I supposed to make weight before I ship out? Im not sure how this works,a Marine buddy of mine said to get a different recruiter, or go to a different station...and to get a male recruiter. (I guess they help out alot more than female recruiters do.
    Im not sure if I should stay with her or go to someone else.
    -Garza.
    Thank You.

Your recruiter wants you to make weight, because MEPS is broken into two halves. One is to take your ASVAB, and the other is going through the medical screening. If you successfully complete both halves, you swear in to the DEP and receive a date to ship to boot camp. If you go take your ASVAB, and aren't within your weight standards, you might not be allowed to swear in.

I could be wrong about the weight standards and swearing in, but either way, do you want to go through life trying to get around things? Just lose the last seven pounds and go to MEPS. If you work hard at it, it shouldn't take but a month?

Make weight, deal with it. You're going to have to be well under the maximum weight for boot camp anyways, might as well start now instead of complaining and going somewhere else.

Garza:
    I just can’t resist responding to you on this. I’ve been cruising this forum for years, but only recently signed up to post. I don’t post much, but I was in the Marines 6 years, so I do have some rather pointed opinions on certain things. Whether you agree or not, just remember, you asked.

Anyway…….The other posts are “spot on”, but I’ll say things a little differently.

You say: “
    Im a female,5'2, im supposed to weigh 136 but I weigh 143.”

Well actually you’re supposed to weigh NO MORE than 136. Meaning that’s the Maximum weight standard for taking the asvab (in your case). Did you ever think that MAYBE your recruiter has your best interests in mind, aside from freaking KNOWING what she’s talking about?? It would seem not, based on your post, you’d rather second guess A Marine’s instructions or directions for success. What you should do is just say “Understood, I’ll do that….thank you.” AND stop striving for, or focusing on, “the minimum metric” - always do the BEST that you can – then do MORE. During your career, lives may depend on YOU “doing your best” and not second guessing things or doing “what’s easier”.

BTW - You CAN lose the 7 pounds, just by getting rid of your “whiney attitude” and (on a mental level), “get with the program”. You should actually lose more…I’d suggest getting down to at least 125-128, then build more muscle. Given your physical attitrubites, you’ll need it (muscle), at Boot Camp and in the Fleet.

Speaking of “Attitude” - I can also suggest, that IF you really want make it to “Boot Camp” and earn your EGA, you’d better get rid of “your attitude” NOW and re-adjust your whole outlook on things. Are you going to question EVERY freakin’ Order, Instruction, or piece of advice (you may not like), that will be given by a trained Marine, that is your superior, or a peer in your Unit? If you do, you’ll NOT have a memorable experience in Boot Camp and certainly not in the Fleet.

You say: “……a Marine buddy of mine said to get a different recruiter, or go to a different station.and to get a male recruiter.”

That is really BAD advice. You need to get better buddies….Or go try and join another branch of service. You obviously missed the memo about “We didn’t promise you a rose garden”.

Only wonderment I have is” “Why do YOU want to join the Marines? Believe me, you DO NOT want to be “that PFC”, with 2-3 years TIG and counting.

Having said all that – Good Luck…

Your Marine "buddy" is not doing you any favors. Recruiters talk to other recruiters. I would not recommend you fire your current recruiter (because you don't like what she is telling you to do or think it's not right) and then go try and talk to a different recruiter even at a different recruiting station. Believe me, the new recruiter will know what's going on. So, let's say your new recruiter tells you the exact same thing; going to fire that one too? Try for number three? Or, what if the new recruiter simply refuses to deal with your attitude (they don't have to you know)? Remember, you fired the first one so there's no going back to her again. Point is, be very careful before you start burning bridges because you are on a one-way street and there is NO going back. And while you're at it, pick your buddies better because this one is giving you bum scoop. By the way, what happens in bootcamp the first time your DI tells you to do something you don't think is right or you don't like...going to fire her and get another one...I DON'T THINK SO but more power to you. Ask your "buddy" about that one!

You say you're not sure how this works. It's very simple; and this IS how it works in the Marine Corps every day. You are given a task (or order) by a superior. You carry out that task to the best of your ability and without questioning it (does not matter if you like the task or think it's fair). If you don't like this system then the military is not for you. Believe it or not, there is a reason your recruiter wants you to lose the weight (and no, she does not have to explain it to you). Maybe she does not believe you can do it and is testing your resolve. Maybe she is using the ASVAB as a reward; lose the weight first then you can take the ASVAB.

Let's make it a little simpler. You are applying for a job. The employer tells you what you need to do to get the job. You do not set the rules for employment, the employer does. If you really want the job then do what you're told...simple. If you don't want the job then look elsewhere.

Here's my advice: Don't listen to your "buddy". Do what your recruiter tells you to do (get used to doing what you're told to do; it comes along with the job, just ask your "buddy"). If you struggle with your weight you should seriously reconsider joining the USMC. Those weight requirements are always going to be there and they're not going to get any easier. The Navy for instance is not as strict about weight; why not give them a look?

You men/women are right,I should just shut up and lose the weight.
    Im from a Military family,I should know better than sitting here trying to get the easy way out. Thank you for the advice.
    As for my "attitude" I didn't think I was showing much attitude in my post. But If I was,my apologies ...I'll watch how I word what I need to say.
    As for my buddy he told me he doesn't want me joining,so he was steering me in the wrong direction.
    I already talked to my recruiter,we've set up a weigh in date
    If you men/women are interested. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.
    again,Thank you all for the advice.

You figured it out...outstanding and good for you! There must be a trusting relationship between you and your recruiter. You are right to trust in what she is telling you (and she must be able to trust in you). That same trust must exist at bootcamp between you and your DI's; they will never demand of you anything they cannot do themselves.

As for your attitude; it's not so much your tone. It's more that you were questioning what you were being told to do and that simply cannot happen if you want to be a Marine. When I was leading troops, an attitude like that would lead to nothing but trouble (for you).

Good luck with the weight loss (with the right attitude you can do it) and defenitely let us know when you take your ASVAB test.

I do trust my recruiter... She's a great one. My buddy was giving me false advice. So in the end I ended up confused. So I thought id ask my question on here.
    Again thank you. Your advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Top said it all. My three year old loves marshmallows. When he asks me if he can have a marshmallow, I tell him to go do something first (like put away his toys or finish his chicken). If he doesn't like that response, he asks his mom if he can have a marshmallow.

That type of behavior is to be expected and corrected in three year olds, but it doesn't fly in the Corps. Too many people come on this site for answers, hate the response they receive, and lash out at the person giving them the answer (despite the fact that they've been given the real skinny). Good on you for adopting the right attitude. I'd love to know how your progress goes.

Thread Information