Need help finding information on my Dad
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member bberger's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Question Need help finding information on my Dad

My Dad, Cpt Roger J Berger, was a former Marine who served during Vietnam starting around May 1967. I believe he went through basic at Parris Island and I know he was stationed at Camp Lejeune before shipping out to Vietnam. Before he was discharged he was stationed at a base in Okinawa, Japan.

I recently found some of my Dad's pictures and papers at my sisters house from while he was in Vietnam. My father was originally a platoon commander (1st Lt at that time) with Company C, Third Antitank Battalion for M50 "Ontos" tanks. In my Dad's stack of papers I found a citation for the Navy Commendation Medal with an authorization to wear the Combat "V". In the citation it references Operation Hickory and Kingfisher.

My father died of a heart attack when I was 21 but never talked much about his time spent in Vietnam. The little bits of what I know was from stories my Mom told me from letters and pictures he sent to her while he was there. Unfortunately my Mom also passed in 2000 and my sister and I know very little concerning our Dad's service while in the Marines with exception for a few "life lessons" he would pass on to us after he'd had a little too much to drink

I currently have a son who turned two this summer and another child on the way next month and I would like to find more information concerning my Dad's service in the Marine Corps so I can share this with my kids when they get older and want to know about their Grandfather.

Does the Marine Corps have any type of historical archive where I could find documents that would have information concerning my Dad or possibly find the names of people my Dad might have served with in order to contact them to hopefully find out more about him. I believe my sister also has his dog tags which have his serial number if that might help.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian Berger

Credits
    Savings
    Brian.

Your profile is a little sparce, but under the circumstances, I think it's understandable.

You're on One of the best websites to get your start for looking for information about your
    father, and maybe some of the history of his Vietnam Unit at least. Even though it may take
    a while before somebody runs across this THREAD who may have served with him, OR his
    unit.
    I should also tell you that IF you do a search for the word "ONTOS"
    and USMC , you'll probibly come up with units closer to your father in addition to here.

WWW .usmcvta.org

Sometimes each Site you enter , will give you a clue ,. and you can end up pinning the murder
    on the butler, in the dinning room by means of a candle-stick IF you're Dilligent..

You're IN-LUCK,, at least 3rd anti tanks was one of only 3 ONTOS units in the bush

You may find ontos people hanging with other "Tankers"

GOOD LUCK in your search

We'll wish you SemperFidelis, reminding you that it means Always Faithful.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Brian, you do need to complete more of your profile, site rules.

This thread will be closed until then.

Once your profile is complete, you can PM me or any other squad leader/mod/admin to re-open the thread.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Profile completed, thread re-opened.

Credits
    Savings
    Christopher,

Thank you for re-opening the thread.

Ed,

Thank you for the information you provided. I was able to contact the administrator at USMCVTA who in turn provided me with some additional help.

I will try doing additional internet searches using the terms you suggested.

Thanks again for the help!
    Brian

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thread moved to " Looking for a Leatherneck ".
    More will see in that section and hopefully you will get more responses about your DAD.

Good luck Brian and Welcome to the Forum.

www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/3rdAntiTankBn.htm

The US Marines 3rd Anti-Tank Battalion in Vietnam Command Chronologies & After Action Reports

I was with 3rd Anti-Tanks 63-65
    You might like the after Action reports

just type in 3rd Anti-Tanks and you have 25 or more sites to go on

Last edited by Ken Hendry; 09-17-12 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Credits
    Savings
    Hi Ken,

Thanks for the website. When I try to view the individual reports it brings me to the Vietnam Center and Archives website but doesn't display any information. I was able to find a website that had the Command Chronologies where I saw my Dad's name listed as a commander for 3rd Antitank Bn Co A 1st Platoon from May 1967 until Oct 1967 at which time he was reassigned to Co C 5th Platoon.

I would like to see the After Action Reports you mentioned to see if they had any information concerning my Dad.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
    Brian Berger

Credits
    Savings
    Additional information I recently found for my father, Roger J. Berger.

His service number was 095430 and his MOS was 0302.

Information from his Assignment/Orders paperwork:

October 28, 1966 he attended "Basic Course 3-67, Company F" at Quantico and completed his training around March 30, 1967. Current rank was 2nd Lt. and MOS was 9901.

March 30, 1967 he was assigned to FMFPac WestPac Ground Forces (MCC 159). His MOS was changed to 0301 at this time.

May 1967 he was assigned to the 3rd Marine Divison (MCC 159). From a Command Chronology document I found he was 3d AT Bn Co A 1st Platoon

Oct 16, 1967 he was reassigned to Company "C" with orders to "Report to CO H&S Co for duty as S2/S5 vice 1st Lt ROBERTS det". His Rank was 1st Lt. and his MOS was changed to 0302. From a Command Chronology document I found he was reassigned to Co C 5th Platoon

Dec 5, 1967 he was reassigned to 3rd ATBn to report to CO HqBN with remarks as "For du w/ G-2".

May 22, 1968 he was ordered to report MCB Camp Lejeune.

Oct 18, 1968 he completed training for "Summary and Special Courts-Martial"

Aug 1, 1969 he was promoted to Capt and attended "Air Intelligence Officer Course" training. He continued to serve in various roles in the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing (Photo Interpretation) until 1971 at which point I believe he was honorably discharged. At some point he was stationed at a base on Okinawa, Japan.

From pictures he sent my Mom I found the following names mentioned.

Inspecting a soldier's M-14 rifle while standing at attention:
    S Sgt Jones
    L/Cpl Rainford

Picture of two men boxing:
    Bradley (no rank mentioned)
    Watson (no rank mentioned)

Picture of 3 men fixing an Ontos track:
    L/Cpl Bradley
    PFC Browning
    Sgt Stadyro or Stackyro (This was my Fathers Platoon Sgt)

Another picture of 3 men fixing an Ontos track:
    L/Cpl Baily
    L/Cpl Barry
    Sgt Ratliff (spoke very highly of this Sgt)

I also found a book called "War Without Heroes" by David Douglas Duncan with handwritten notes from my Dad on the following pages:
    Pg 60 - 'Good friend of mine, "Mike" - can't remember his last name - from GA' with an arrow pointing to a Marine holding a shotgun
    Pg 74 - 'This bunker was ~20' from mine!'
    Pg 78 - 'Me' With an arrow pointing to the Marine on the right.
    Pg 113 - 'Me' With an arrow point to lower middle picture of a Marine playing cards with a cigarette in his mouth.
    Pg 195 - 'My "boss" later @ Dong Ha' (I believe this is Major Jerry Hudson)
    Pg 216 - 'I was on this!' Arrow pointing to a burning C-130

Hope this additional information may help. I've been encouraged by the information I've been able to find so far thanks to information people have provided to me.

Thanks,
    Brian Berger

Here's a link I've used which adds to Ken's website suggestion.

http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/USMC_Rvn.htm

See the 'Organizational Data' in the beginning pages.

I'd suggest you download all .pdf files and read them thoroughly which only go through November '67.
    I quickly checked the AAR's and your father is mentioned in all AAR's except the of November.
    The November AAR is a bit different than the previous months.

Many think that these AAR's are not nearly as complete with all specifics as we would like and I agree to a point.

I have all AAR's of my unit which provided a lot of event specifics that I recalled which I could add to my personal DVD documentary of my picnic in RVN.

Hope that helps...carry on.

Brian I serves with Lt. Burger almost all the time he was with
    1st Pla A co.
    I was a radio operator with the platoon
    . At that time we were at Khesanh, moving later back to Camp Carroll. After hewent to Bn Lt willet took command. Do you if he was in Nam for 68 tet.
    Chuck Atwood

Need help with locating my dad

Hi, i just wanted to ask for help finding my dad. His name is Mark Olsen, and sad to say thats the only information i have. All i know is he was assigned in the Philippines year 1986-1987.

Kim was your dad a Marine, Navy, Air Force?????

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, he's a marine. Estimated age is 46-47

You can obtain their official military records here ( of deceased military vets)
    http://www.archives.gov/research/ord...d-form-180.pdf
    Read directions in its entirety although pretty simply.I requested in July and received in November

Thread Information