Take assigned contract or hold out for my pick?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Take assigned contract or hold out for my pick?

- NOTE: As of a few months ago, I completely filled out what I could find as far as my profile was concerned, so please let me know if it meets or doesn't meet the criteria for complete.

- Also this is going to be long. I like to cover my bases.

Now on to the good stuff.

I DEP'ed in around spring time of this year (March or May, I can't remember). After being cleared at MEPS I swore in, and my contract was left blank with the intention of signing for whatever job I got when it was time to ship out.

I was told to do a wishlist of three jobs. Obviously I chose Infantry, Security Forces, and Combat Support. I want to serve in the field. Now with that being said, I understand and accept that my job placement is up to "Where the Marine Corps needs me".

Six or seven days ago my recruiter contacted me and told me I was assigned the CM contract. Apparently that is Facilities/Utilities/Engineering, etc. I didn't knock it at first until I looked at all the MOS' and it was stuff I was studying for awhile in college (electrical, other construction type stuff). I dropped from college due to having NO interest in that field.. and as luck would have it, the USMC offered me a job in that field.

Now.. I don't want to make a scene about it with my recruiter. He's been cool, although he might have been BS'ing me a little bit (said my contract was part of the new jobs for this fiscal year, but FY13 jobs shouldn't even drop til October, correct?). Anyway, advice from a few other Marines, and one Poolee who didn't get the contract he was hoping for: Tell my recruiter I won't ship unless I can get a better contract. Which I did, although with more class and tact (I certainly wouldn't go in there and tell him off like he is someone off the street).

Is that the best way to try and get the contract I would like to have? Just wait, and pressure him into looking for an opening for me? Or is it possible that the CM contract is my only option?

Thanks for your times Marines.
    - HVNTER

The Marine Corps is downsizing and reenlistments into many MOS's are difficult at best. If you want to be a Marine, you may have to take what you can get. You can hold out if you want, but at some point they will have to drop you from the DEP is you don't ship.

1) If you are on a contract to go to boot camp you are a Poolee. Ask a moderator to change your status.

2) It's going to be your job for (at least) the next four years. Do I think you should be bull-headed and hold out for a guaranteed recon contract? No. That might get you dropped from the DEP for staying in over a year. I do think you should tell your recruiter you're completely uninterested in these jobs and pressure to see if he can find something else. You might not get a SF contract, but something like Arty or something in the Airwing might come available.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the replies Marines.

If it even looks like I'd be close to getting dropped I would just take the contract I'm offered now. I'm really not against the idea, I just would like my job to be atleast close to something I'm interested in.

To Gunstream, I never even intended or expected to be getting a Recon contract. I'm not ready to even try Recon if I was offered, I was just looking for something more combat oriented.

Thread Information