Prior Service Air Force ......
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Prior Service Air Force ......

Hello Marines,
    I joined active duty Air Force in 2007 and just separated this July of 2012 and immediately joined the Air National Guard out of Florida. OK so my question is how can I join the Marines?

I know Ill have to get a Form 368 for my release from the national guard signed by my commander which shouldn't be a problem considering i got accepted into an excess slot pretty much saying the job i have is over manned. Not to mention its the ANG and I can just walk into my commanders office and sit down and have a conversation with him...
    Other than that I have a half sleeve tattoo which is only about an inch recognizable with a short sleeve T-shirt on. Can it be waivered?
    Apart from those questions, the biggest one is, Is the Marines recruiting prior service members right now as of August 2012? How long will the process take after I get my commanders signature for the release?

I want to be a Marine more than words can describe, I made a huge mistake when I joined the Air Force and I realized it not long after I joined... I have nothing holding me back physically and mentally besides a recruiter who isn't willing to deal with me or the Marine Corps saying they don't want prior service.

Please someone tell me some good news!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    First thing, Shawn, is to complete your profile so we know who we're talking with. Site rules.

Meanwhile this thread is closed until the profile work is done. You can contact me or any other squad leader by PM when your profile is completed and we'll reopen the thread.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Profile completed, post reopened. Thanks.

I'd be looking at different recruiters.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The recruiter probably is telling you the truth about prior service. The Corps isn't even taking back prior service Marines. There are cutbacks in progress, as you know. You can always try a different recruiter as each office has different quota numbers to fill.

You can want into the Corps all you want, but if the Corps doesn't want you or any other prior service there is nothing you can do about it. Having to get a tattoo waiver too doesn't help matters at all.

You are aware that you would be starting over nearly at Ground Zero with boot camp, SOI, etc, and a rank of PFC upon graduation from boot camp?

What is your current unit and AFSC? I spent 14-years in the Michigan Air Guard as a security policeman.

Here's your good news:

You are good to go. Head on down to MEPS and get your physical as soon as you can. Your tattoo waiver is in the mail but shouldn't be a problem because we really want as many airmen in our Corps as we can get (eventhough we're turning away former Marines). How in the world did we manage to get by so long without you? Pack your gear because you will be shipping as soon as your waiver gets back (somebody will call you).

Happy now?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post

Here's your good news:

You are good to go.

Happy now?
    GEEEZZE Top.....

Good thing this wasn't a Newbie 17 year-old asking this,,,, OR one O de SquadLeaders
    would be Nutz deep in yer$hit..For you being to hard on the kid....

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmrcr View Post

Hello Marines,
    OK so my question is how can I join the Marines?

Other than that I have a half sleeve tattoo which is only about an inch recognizable with a short sleeve T-shirt on. Can it be waivered?

Apart from those questions, the biggest one is,

Is the Marines recruiting prior service members right now as of August 2012? How long will the process take after I get my commanders signature for the release?

I have nothing holding me back physically and mentally besides a recruiter who isn't willing to deal with me or the Marine Corps saying they don't want prior service.

Please someone tell me some good news!

STAND-By for the good news......................

There's an outside chance Israel will attack IRAN, shortly after the Democrat's convention !!!!!

And, We'll have a new president shortly after that ..

Attached Images Attached Images

Well, he asked for some good news. Figured this is the only way he's going to get any since the recruiters won't deal with him. Just trying to be helpful. He's on the wrong website if he doesn't have a sense of humor (and shouldn't be a Marine if he can't take a little ribbing about being an airman because this is only a very small taste).

If the squad leaders have a problem they can let me know.

I went through Bootcamp with a prior Airman - E-4, decent stack, just wanted to be a Marine instead. He graduated PFC with a ketchup & mustard and his GWOT...

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Zulu, I'm currently assigned to the 125th Fighter Wing in Jacksonville, FL. 2A6X1, Aircraft Engine Mechanic. I went to a Marine recruiter a year ago in OKC and he said the waiver was going to be no problem but my previous unit wouldn't release me with me being on active duty for some reason... I'd just have to keep searching for a recruiter like jp2usmc said and hopefully the area is accepting prior service.

Yes, I'm well aware of have to start all over. The only thing that will carry over is my time and that's fine by me. I have no problem being an airman trying to join the Marines. It's not a problem getting harassed or made fun of because of it. It is what it is and I'll keep trying. But I appreciate the information.

Outstanding attitude! I hope everything works out for you and you make it. We need fighters in our Corps. Good luck and let us know if anything changes.

Thread Information