Talk to a recruiter now or wait?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Talk to a recruiter now or wait?

I want to start by saying thanks to everyone for serving our country as a Marine. I am looking to join the Marines but am not sure if I should talk to a recruiter now or wait because my conditioning for running is lacking pretty bad. I can do 15 or so pullups, 100 sittups in 2 min but I am lacking on the running big time. I havent checked my full 3mile run yet but my best at the moment is 2miles in 20minutes. I more then likely can hold to 10min mile for 3 but because im 25 and have a slight issue with a bunion which does not bother me physicall from running or anything else i want to be able to score high with the IST and be in great shape before i talk to a recruiter.

I have been working out in the gym for 2 years but lifting for strength isnt anything near the same as physical condition needed for boot. I am working on my running right now but have just started to do so. So im wondering because i have a feeling i need to "shine" with my IST scores to have a better chance at being considered for the Marines. Should i wait till my cardio is in better shape before talking to a recruiter or should i just start to now and let the running experience work up through my time in DEPS.

I am somewhat worried about not getting past MEPS because my slight bunion and a couple tattoos on my forearms. The tattoos on my forearms i can cover up with my hand althought the tattoo on my calf a very small amount still shows which hopefully i can have waivered IF need be. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by Rocky C; 08-11-12 at 02:25 PM.

Medical/Mental/Criminal/Tattoo Waivers/Lying to MEPS...READ THIS FIRST

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...EAD-THIS-FIRST

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the response SoftballCatch. I have read that link in which i know the Marines have been cracking down on tattoos but as long as the tattoos can be covered by ur hand there acceptable and from what i have researched as far as the bunion as long as it doesnt impact my performance i should be fine. A DI that i know said there "more worried about flat feet or anything that inhibits physical performance". My worry is more should i wait till i can run better or just start the process of recruiting now and work on my running while i go through DEPs. With my only issue on running is the cardio and keeping breathing under control because my legs/feet do not bother my running ability.

If you are already 25, you should sign up as soon as possible. While in the DEP program, you should have other people there to help you and motivate you to improve your run time.

I agree with the Sergeant. When you go to MEPS to enter the DEP, they'll test your pullups and crunches to ensure you meet minimum standards. You won't test your run times until your monthly pool functions, and you'll have your entire duration in the DEP to improve upon your run times. So long as you're showing work and progress, the recruiters aren't likely to discharge you from the DEP, and it doesn't take much work to significantly reduce a 1.5 mile run time.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Talk to a Recruiter Now !!!

Thread Information