Job advice. Ship date creeping up on me...
Create Post

Job advice. Ship date creeping up on me...

My ship date to PI is Sept 10th and I'm really hoping to get an aircrew contract. My recruiter hasn't been able to get one yet and I'm currently under contract for aircraft maintenance because it's my second choice, and from what i understand I could possibly get aircrew (AO) once I get to my duty station. But that's only if I'm lucky and get put with helicopters. My recruiter said he's gonna keep trying for the aircrew one. I've heard that October is a time when a whole lot of jobs come out because it's the beginning of the fiscal year or something like that. Assuming I'm not able to get an aircrew slot by September 10th would it be worth my while to have my ship date pushed back to October for a higher likelihood of getting the job I want? Is it even possible to move my ship date once I'm already under contract? Any answer is greatly appreciated.

Yes, it is possible to move your ship date. If you don't want the job you're offered, don't sign and tell the recruiter that you'd rather wait for more job opportunities to show up.

Do NOT take a job that you don't want, even if it's your only way into the Corps. It is far better to go talk to the Navy / Army / Air Force and get the job you want than to join the Marine Corps with a job you despise. I'm currently dealing with a kid who wanted to be a Motor T mechanic. He believed the recruiter's talk of how he was "too smart" for Motor T, and now he's a comm tech. He hates his job, and I hate his guts because he doesn't care about what he does. If he were in Motor T, he'd probably be a great Marine. Instead he's here, and I feel like chokeslamming him.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hold out for the contract that you want. Look at it this way. Would you rather wait a couple months to do the job that you want or get stuck in some job you don't like doing for the next five years. I am enlisted aircrew in the Marine Corps currently. I really wanted this job, so I told my recruiter this is the only contract I want and I waited three extra months to get it. It was well worth the wait. Don't let your recruiter force you to take another contract that you don't want. By the way, when I enlisted the contract letters were AG and I believe they still are so you might want to double check that.

If you go in as aviation maintenance, there is a small chance (and I mean small) that you will get to fly on helos. Think about how many other people would want to do it as well. Also, they spent so much money training you in your current job that they are not likely to make you an aerial observer, unless you reenlist after your first contract is up. Yes, you can push your ship date back. Your recruiter might tell you otherwise and be mad if you do, but until you leave for bootcamp you aren't under any legal contract obligations. Remember, it is your job or career, not his.

Hit me up if you have any other questions regarding the Marines or enlisted aircrew.

Dont sign anything unless its what you want. They'll promise you the world but unless its on paper it means absolutly nothing.

Thread Information