Nebaska, Heartland History...The North Platte Canteen
Create Post

Nebaska, Heartland History...The North Platte Canteen

Spoken by Randy Mason, KCPT TV, before the showing of "The Canteen Spirit."

"A piece from the Nebraska ETV network called 'The Canteen Spirit' A sweet little story about North Platte, Nebraska, which back in 1941 some what by accident, found itself in the business of exporting morale."

"At a railroad canteen for millions of soldiers being hauled across the country on their way to war."

"The food and hospitality made quite an impression on some of those veterans, so much so that they returned over 60 years later to share memories with such warmth and consideration with the folks who served them."

"It is a bit of history , a modern follow through that puts reality TV to shame."

I was in civilian clothes with other Marine recruits when our train stopped in November 1942. I wrote in my diary of all the sandwiches, cookies and drinks they offered. We didn't know it was a canteen, we just knew that ladies were there and they were glad to see us. My ten minutes at North Platte rank among my best wartime memories. It's unbelievable that those ladies met all those troops.

Gung Ho, RayClick image for larger version

Name:	Filming.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	21682

Pictured during the filming of "The Canteen Spirit"
    John Zgud, Army Air Corps, Vince Anderson, Marines, Ray Merrell, Marines.

Ray:

Thanks for posting this. I heard of the North Platte Canteen before, but none of the guys I know ever mentioned being there. Some recalled the Stage Door Canteen in NY, or the Hollywood Canteen in L.A. When my buddies went overseas, it is possible that they went from the east coast to San Diego via a route that did not take them through North Platte. Regardless, the memories made at the wartime canteens were certainly the high points of many lives.

Ray,
    As a proud Nebraskan and even prouder American, I am grateful for you and your service. This country cherishes you and all from the Second World War. I truly thank you for everything your generation has done for our country.
    Semper Fidelis Brother.
    -Tyler.

Credits
    Savings
    North Platte canteen and the people you ran it are LEGENDS in American history.
    It started just after Dec 7 1941 and ran till 1946, they never miss a train. All trains
    stopped at Platte for 15 min. and it was run by all volunteers, 24 hours a day for
    7 days a week for 5 years. They were American Heros on the home front.

Thread Information