Should I enlist?
Create Post

Should I enlist?

I have a major problem with weight and pretty much alwyas have but I always wanted to be a Marine as well. Should I go for my dream and become a Marine or should I go less and settle for the Navy or Army?

Why settle for being mediocre when you could do something extraordinary?

Don't take the easy way out.

Set some goals, start small, get motivated, and make it happen.

Talk is cheap.

Good luck.

We can't tell you what to do, but I agree with The Wookie. If your dream is to be a Marine, and if you settle for less, you will regret it.

You say you like to swim, run, etc. Increase your exercise/activity level, find a good program for weight reduction (the internet has a bunch), get down to weight standards, and then see a recruiter.

The only reason I recommend get your weight to standards first is from what other poolees have posted. You want to be able to focus on becoming a Marine, do what is required there, and not be consummed with having to lose weight in order to ship.

Credits
    Savings
    you're sounding like an army of one to me.

(I hope that didn't offend you)

I agree with you thewookie as well as you MOS4429 but I stink at running. Anyone have a good basic program to follow or know where I can find one online?

Last edited by Rocky C; 03-07-12 at 03:05 PM. Reason: No Foul Langauge in " Ask A Marine Forum " !!!

Credits
    Savings
    I really hate to say this...But the more you speak, (type) the more you sound less and less like material for the Marine Corps.

you dont even want to help yourself by looking for answers by means other than have someone do the work for you to provide you with answers.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    I agree with you thewookie as well as you MOS4429 but I stink at running. Anyone have a good basic program to follow or know where I can find one online?
    If I were you I would start by power walking. Just get out there, get off your as, and get it done.

Do you have a smart phone? There is a good app for android/iphones called "map my fitness." I'm sure there are other apps like it. Any way, it's free and it allows you to easily track your course, distance, time, etc.

get outside today and go for a one mile walk. Not at a leisurely pace, but not running either.

Next day walk for a half a mile then run/trot for the other half of mile.

Take the next day off.

Next day, get back outside -- walk for a mile, then run/trot as far as you can.

Routines can be found everywhere -- I say make your own, it's not rocket science.

All you want is improvement, that app lets you easily track it.

Make sure you get rest in between workouts, not everyday at first.

If you are fat and out of shape you don't want to push yourself too hard or you'll end up hurt and miserable. That's why you should take it easy at first.

And improve your diet, easy things you can do like eliminate soda, eat healthy snacks, and drink plenty of water.

the bottom line is you have to get outside and find a love for sweating, for pushing yourself -- for achieving goals.

NO GOALS ARE ACCOMPLISHED ON THE INTERNET

unless your goal is to be fat, average, and out of shape all your life.

Thanks thewookie, that's basically what I was looking for, just a general guidline to follow. I can design weight sessions like a pro but cardio is not my forte. I think I need to make it a priority to learn it. What do you think about a weighted vest? I think it might be a good idea so I can get more use to carry more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    What do you think about a weighted vest?
    It's a bad idea -- you are already carrying enough weight.

Keep it simple, keep it basic.

Basic, basic, basic.

Just do it, just do it, just do it.

I can't make it any clearer -- get outside, dig deep, and sweat.

You'll feel better about yourself, and you'll be one step closer to your goal.

EVERYBODY who you see that is in shape,, started right where you have to start from. You might have different circumstances, but YOU start getting in shape the same way I do. By getting outside and doing it. Getting in shape and being healthy is addictive -- just like food and laziness. You just don't know that yet, but when you do it is an incredible motivator.

good luck

All right, I'm gonna do some reserach and design a couple running plans that follow your advice. Thanks.

Don't wear a weighted vest. As The Wookie said, you are already overweight. Impact to your knee joints is 3 times your body weight, so if you would like an injury, wear a weighted vest. If not, then don't.

I will PM to you an excellent running program for runners starting out. It incorporates walking and running and progressively builds.

Thread Information