Guadalcanal to Emirau
Create Post

Guadalcanal to Emirau

From my diary & book:

March 17, 1944 we boarded the U.S.S. Callaway, it took three days to go to Emirau. We landed and there were no Japs, they had left a few days before. We set up guns on the beach, as we had to stand watch for a counter attack. We were bombed at night by a stray Jap plane.

Emirau was a pretty and with a nice sandy beach. Our guns were under big trees - camouflaged.

My buddies and I now call the Emirau operation "Bloody Emirau".

Ray

"A force of nearly 4,000 United States Marines landed on the island of Emirau on 20 March 1944. The island was not occupied by the Japanese and there was no fighting. it was developed into an airbase which formed the final link in the chain of bases surrounding Rabaul. The isolation of Rabaul permitted McArthur to turn his attention westwards and commence his drive along the north coast of new Guinea towards the Philippines."

"The assault force consisted of the 4th Marines, this would be the first operation for the 4th Marines, which had been reformed on 1 February 1944 from four battalions of Marine Raiders, the original 4th Marines having been destroyed in the Battle of Corregidor."

Sean Nicholson - 3-31-10

Thanks for that info on Emirau. I did not know the Japs did not defend it. I have a number of buddies who are still around that flew PBJs from that island to bomb Rabaul and Kaveing.

Thread Information