How to be a Infantry Scout for 4th LAR, SC
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

How to be a Infantry Scout for 4th LAR, SC

I am currently attending College in South Carolina, and am very interested in going into the Marine Reserves. I want to do Infantry, but the only reserve infantry battalion in my state is the 4th LAR. My question is how can i get a job with them as a Infantry Scout, and not be put in Logistics. Do i go in as a 0311 and ask to transferred or something?. Please help! Thanks, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHTx17 View Post
    I am currently attending College in South Carolina, and am very interested in going into the Marine Reserves. I want to do Infantry, but the only reserve infantry battalion in my state is the 4th LAR. My question is how can i get a job with them as a Infantry Scout, and not be put in Logistics. Do i go in as a 0311 and ask to transferred or something?. Please help! Thanks, Paul

Do you want to be an officer or enlisted?

0311, I assume -- enlisted. Have you spoke to a USMC recruiter?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Do you want to be an officer or enlisted?

0311, I assume -- enlisted. Have you spoke to a USMC recruiter?
    I haven't planned on going to OC school when i graduate, but i want to go Reserve, When you say Enlisted do you mean Active?, and yes im talking with a Marine recruiter near my campus, but since i want to wait 2years until i graduate, he really didnt give me much information on what reserve units are in my area, so i had to do my own research.

I'm not understanding your question at all.

When you enlist into the Reserves you enlist as a specific MOS, there is no choice to go in open contract. So if there is an Infantry unit in your state, and you enlist as an 0311, then you are going to be an Infantry Marine. Logistics, supply, comm, etc, are all different MOS's.

Does that answer your question?

Also, consider looking into the "92 day" Reservist program. It allows you to go to boot camp one summer and then your MOS school, or SOI, the next summer so that it won't interrupt your schooling.

Also, what the hell is an "infantry scout"?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiofantry View Post
    Also, what the hell is an "infantry scout"?
    yes that answers my question, and sorry about the "infantry scout", listed under a LAV crew is 2-6 "Scouts" that provide security, and such for the LAV i didnt know how to explain them, and thanks for telling me about the 92 day Reserve program, that sounds like something i may really look into. Thank, Paul

There's actually 3 Marine reserve units in SC. The one you're talking about is near Fort Jackson which has 0311 reservist and 2147 LAV mech slots. There's many jobs to pick from when they open up in the ending of sept/beginning of oct. You may be limited to what you can pick since I'm sure most of the jobs have been picked.

I'm a 0481 reservist currently awaiting to pick up in my LOS/BLSS. Talk to a recruiter to see what's avail and once you find something you'll be interested research on it.

As for what you're talking about which is LAV crew man I don't know if there's slots for that but it may be.

also look up ranks enlisted has nothing to do with be Active or Reserve. Enlisted is the ranks from Pvt E-1 to SgtMaj E-9

Thread Information