Saw a recruiter... is this normal?
Closed Thread

Saw a recruiter... is this normal?

As many of you know, I have been getting my crap together recently to enlist in the USMC. I did not finish high school, and long hours at work + poor dietary discipline caused my weight to skyrocket. I began a relentless exercise routine, and began eating responsibly... dropped 115 pounds in 10 months, and picked up 15 college credits while working full time. I'm locked in, and certain that this is what I want to do. So, I got my transcripts from th college and went off to meet with the recruiter. He said 9:30 - 10:00 at the office in th Brunswick mall. I'm there at 9:15. 9:30 rolls around... the Army, Air Force, and Navy recruitment offices are buzzing with activity. Prospective enlistees are all over the place, and several recruiters are visible from the benches outside. The USMC office is a freaking ghost town. So I wait... 10:00, and I'm not about to risk leaving a nasty first impression by being late, so I tug on the door. To my surprise, it opens despite the low-lighting and the absence of a single human being. So, I sit down and this young guy comes out in dress pants, a button down shirt, and a sweater. I look up and say good morning. He says the same. I get back to reading the Medal of Honor booklet they have on th table. Five minutes or so later, the guy reemerges from the back office, and asks me if I'm wanting to be a Marine. I say yes, sir. That's the plan. He starts in asking me questions and I realize that he's a recruiter and not someone trying to enlist. Struck me as odd that the recruiter I made an appointment to see (Sgt. Weaver) was not there, and the guy that was there was not in uniform. Anyways, to make a long story short, one of my college classes didn't count towards the fifteen credits I need. Back to school to pick up another three credits. No big deal. I'll be done in April. I'd pick up another dozen if I had to. This is all that I want. My concern is that with the current active strength set to be reduced, my experience at the recruiter's office may be typical. Talking with the guy, I almost got the impression that whether or not I was qualified, it just wasn't happening. I am physically prepared (crushing the IST), and based on the preliminary ASVAB I took I can expect a solid 70 on the full test. I have no criminal past, and no major medical problems. The encounter left me wondering :

Does someone like me have a realistic chance of joining today's Marine Corps?

Can what I experienced be expected of all recruiter's offices?

Being on RA three separate times has given me a bunch of knowledge on it, while I'm not a recruiter, you pick up on the simple things while being a little snot nose boot watching everything.

Yes, it's normal for them to come into work in civis, some recruiters do that, they keep their dress blues in the office so they don't get jacked up.
    As for him being late and not even showing up, that happens sometimes, sometimes things happen and he can't make it. Being a recruiter is a hectic job and that's why most of them smoke, dip, or drink.. or all the above. He should have given you a courtesy text or a phone call for his absence.

There's a lot of people who want to join, and from what you're saying you do. You have the drive, and the determination. Not everyone jumped into the Marine Corps with no problems getting in, lots of them had to work at it. Since you'll do good on the ASVAB unless you choke, you're in good shape, gonna get those 3 more credits, and actually have the discipline to do it all on your own.. I think your chances are just fine. Just don't give up, be persistent.

Best of luck to you,

LCpl Yonkers

Quote Originally Posted by thegiantmidget View Post
    As many of you know, I have been getting my crap together recently to enlist in the USMC. I did not finish high school, and long hours at work + poor dietary discipline caused my weight to skyrocket. I began a relentless exercise routine, and began eating responsibly... dropped 115 pounds in 10 months, and picked up 15 college credits while working full time. I'm locked in, and certain that this is what I want to do. So, I got my transcripts from th college and went off to meet with the recruiter. He said 9:30 - 10:00 at the office in th Brunswick mall. I'm there at 9:15. 9:30 rolls around... the Army, Air Force, and Navy recruitment offices are buzzing with activity. Prospective enlistees are all over the place, and several recruiters are visible from the benches outside. The USMC office is a freaking ghost town. So I wait... 10:00, and I'm not about to risk leaving a nasty first impression by being late, so I tug on the door. To my surprise, it opens despite the low-lighting and the absence of a single human being. So, I sit down and this young guy comes out in dress pants, a button down shirt, and a sweater. I look up and say good morning. He says the same. I get back to reading the Medal of Honor booklet they have on th table. Five minutes or so later, the guy reemerges from the back office, and asks me if I'm wanting to be a Marine. I say yes, sir. That's the plan. He starts in asking me questions and I realize that he's a recruiter and not someone trying to enlist. Struck me as odd that the recruiter I made an appointment to see (Sgt. Weaver) was not there, and the guy that was there was not in uniform. Anyways, to make a long story short, one of my college classes didn't count towards the fifteen credits I need. Back to school to pick up another three credits. No big deal. I'll be done in April. I'd pick up another dozen if I had to. This is all that I want. My concern is that with the current active strength set to be reduced, my experience at the recruiter's office may be typical. Talking with the guy, I almost got the impression that whether or not I was qualified, it just wasn't happening. I am physically prepared (crushing the IST), and based on the preliminary ASVAB I took I can expect a solid 70 on the full test. I have no criminal past, and no major medical problems. The encounter left me wondering :

Does someone like me have a realistic chance of joining today's Marine Corps?

Can what I experienced be expected of all recruiter's offices?
    No matter what happens at the recruiting office, we are "interviewing" you to see if you are a good fit for the Corps. That may have been a set up by those recruiters, who knows? Often times we set guys up to see how they react, especially if they have some background hurdle like not finishing high school.

It is also possible that your recruiter didn't think you were serious, or that he got in a car wreck on his way in to work. You just never know.

It sounds to me like you are the guy we are looking for. Get your three credits, stay out of trouble, stay in shape, and don't get any tattoos and you will be a Marine before you know it.

If you see the same thing happening in the Marine Corps office as you do the Army, Navy and the Air Force then something is wrong.

Straight from the horse.

To the OP -- Good luck, don't sing it, bring it and sign the line -- we'll be waiting for an update once you earn the title.

Closed.

Thread Information