Voting during boot camp
Create Post

Voting during boot camp

I haven't been able to find much information on this, and what I have found has all been conflicting. Do any Marines (perhaps any Drill Instructors) on here know for certain how/if I will be able to vote in the general election on Nov. 2nd? Will we be told anything about the candidates? I can't imagine a military branch representing the USA wouldn't allow their recruits to vote and help decide who runs the country for the next four years, but I haven't been able to find out for sure. Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    http://election.dos.state.fl.us/voting/absentee.shtml

You leave in September.....you will have to request an absentee ballot.

You drill instructors will probally tell you who wins the election.....but they will not bring in a wide screen to let you watch the results.

Being that the winner will be your CIC the drill instructors will probaly let your platoon know.

I actually voted during bootcamp last election. It was a hassle, had to go to the county voting office before I left to explain the situation, but it was awesome. Most likely the funniest moment of my boot camp experience was asking my kill hat for a #2 pencil so I could fill out my ballot. The look on the other DIs' faces was priceless.

And yes, they do tell you the results. In my case, I was woken up as soon as the winner was determined, since my DIs remembered I had voted they were nice enough to tell me. Everyone else found out inthe morning.

You will have to submit an absentee ballot in your home state before you leave for boot camp.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Parks View Post
    I actually voted during bootcamp last election. It was a hassle, had to go to the county voting office before I left to explain the situation, but it was awesome. Most likely the funniest moment of my boot camp experience was asking my kill hat for a #2 pencil so I could fill out my ballot. The look on the other DIs' faces was priceless.

And yes, they do tell you the results. In my case, I was woken up as soon as the winner was determined, since my DIs remembered I had voted they were nice enough to tell me. Everyone else found out inthe morning.
    Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Parks View Post

Just the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks! :thumb up:

That's how it should be. Voting is a privilege and one we have helped to defend and impart to the Iraqis and Afghanis, shouldn't be denied to our young future Marines.

Depending on the timing, you might be able to fill out an absentee ballet at home before you leave. I was able to do this in 2002 but left in late October. Otherwise, have it sent to you like described above.

We were not told the results, but this is a presidential election year, so you probably will be.

Thread Information