I was told that you may be able to provide me with some guidance, so here is my post:

I am 28 years old, and was trying to apply to OCS for the Army. My father was a ranger for 22 years, I sincerely want to make him proud. However I have reached a roadblock in my application process. I was denied a waiver for "Medical Standards for Elistment code 696.1 current or history of psoriasis is a pdq". That being said, I am sure you have all heard the usual spiel ie Im strong, capable, I smoked the ASVAB, its not a big deal yada yada.. Ill try not to waste your time with that, I certainly dont need to convince you that I'm physically qualified when the DoD obviously sets these standards for a reason. That being said, I would like any OPINION or FACTUAL information any marine could give me in regards to what options I have. The station commander at USAREC told me that "...while the Army denied your application for a waiver, the other branches process their waivers throught their own respective chains of command and may give favorable consideration to your request..."

I know the Marine Corps must be more strict or at least more demanding of its applicants than the Army. I do however have 3 creditable civilian doctor's referrals saying my condition is, and has been in remission for 3 years and is HIGHLY unlikely to affect me in anyway considering my over all health and medical history. Even at the absolute worst time, my condtion was still described as below mild and has consistently only been present on less that 1% of my body. I was even told by one Dermatologist that there was insufficient evidence of symptoms to say I do have this condition.

Is it possible, with enough effort and patience, given the refferals from my doctors, that I can at least be seen by a CMO at my local MEPS facility to be considered for a waiver? I dont even need to be an officer. I just want to serve. Period.

I absolutely refuse to believe that this is the end of the road for me. After years of planning and waiting, I can't possibly be PDQ'd for a small spot of psoriasis that is literally smaller than a penny. I have no joint pain, no nail pitting, and have had no associated hospitalizations related to my "illness". What can I do to circumvent this roadblock? Shouldn't it be possible to at least see a military medical examiner and let them determine whether my case can be waived, rather than just PDQ me instantly? Since the Army will not waive this, is it possible the Marine Corps will? Though I would rather serve in the Army or the Marine Corps, it is certainly not below me to join the Navy, Airforce or CoastGuard. Please, any information or insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated and go a long way towards helping me realize a lifetime goal. Knowledge is my best weapon here. I am not going to stop trying until everyone looks me in the eye and says "game over".

Thank you sincerely for your time and your service,
Richard H Grady