Homeless people - can they join the CORPS?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member RipLi's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Question Homeless people - can they join the CORPS?

I am very new to this fine forum. Please forgive me of any mistakes as I am not very computer/forum savvy. I am in need of HONEST answers, no matter how harsh, because honesty is the ONLY way.

Question: Can a person under 28, who is in good health, NO criminal record or mental illnesses, who happens to be HOMELESS for ECONOMIC reasons only be allowed or even considered as a probable recruit? Is this person wasting their time even walking into a recruiter's office. It happens my friend is so ashamed she cannot make a living enough to obtain a place to live, she thinks the MARINE CORPS would give her a place, and some real DISCIPLINE.

I searched the forum using the word "homeless" and found nothing, so please answer my question.

To help you understand more, she has a high school diploma. She left her boyfriend and that is why she is homeless. Freedom isn't free. Sometimes you have to leave a nice place to gain such freedom.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration of my question.

Fill out more of your profile beside a first and last name....site rules, which can be found in the poolee an Ask A Marine forums.
    I'm not being rude or smart by saying this, but if your friend wants to ask questions about joining the Marine Corps, she should join the site and ask them for herself.

Since she's homeless, there is a good chance she does not own a computer or can get on-line easily. Being a highschool graduate, she is eligible to go talk to a recruiter so I would encourage her to do that. There is no obligation and they can answer all her questions about enlistment eligibillity. Just tell her to be honest about her current situation and then weigh her options.

Good luck to your friend.

I have heard stories of it being done. As long as they're in good health, have the high school diploma, in good standing with the law, and want a job.. there should be no reason why they couldn't.

If she needs any help please contact me.. If you aren't computer savvy etc I'll get you the number of the nearest recruiter and get the ball rolling asap.

Best of luck to you and her,

LCpl Yonkers

I can't see why not if all the ducks are in a row,Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings

Exclamation Ducks! and Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    I can't see why not if all the ducks are in a row,Semper Fidelis.
    Thank you to the last three posters for your POSITIVE answers to my question. LCpl Yonkers, Tennesse Tops and SGT7477 you gave me good material in which to inform my friend, who is indeed unable to acquire computer usage at this time.

I will pass on your info and let her know she can always go see a recruiter, but I will remember LCpl Yonkers for his offer to be contacted.

About my profile, I had trouble setting up more information. Everytime I tried, I got blocked or redirected to something else. Computers can be bas**rds when you want them to perform properly. I DID read every rule in this forum before posting this.

I am a paralegal. Even we make mistakes. I'll try again to complete my profile, Marine.

Good to Go!

Last edited by Yonkers; 01-29-12 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Unfortunately not a Cpl yet

Credits
    Savings
    Being homeless may not be the problem............
    IT may just come down to being able to recieve Mail
    Or having a Mailing Address

I don't even think the mail thing would be an issue. I say "Go for it".

Getting required paper might be the only holdup I'd say. (HS Diploma, for example).

Credits
    Savings

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    I don't even think the mail thing would be an issue. I say "Go for it".

Getting required paper might be the only holdup I'd say. (HS Diploma, for example).
    That is one thing I was thinking about myself. If someone loses their papers, including a high school diploma, can they be re-issued? My friend lost her high school diploma a while back.

Thanks for any advice given.

Probably could get a re-issue or a certificate saying they are a grad from the HS. Recruiter would be the one to handle that.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Sir.

So a recruiter would actually help the person obtain the documents and wouldn't tell her to just gather it all, then come see me?"

Quote Originally Posted by RipLi View Post
    Thank you Sir.

So a recruiter would actually help the person obtain the documents and wouldn't tell her to just gather it all, then come see me?"
    If theyre a good recruiter they will get the documents, but they will need consent from her obviously. There are some things that she has to get herself. Having a birth certificate and hs diploma in hand would help.

If your friend is wanting to join the Marine Corps, have her write down whatever questions she may have, and then go and talk with a recruiter face-to-face, not over the phone. They have the most up to date and accurate info to give her, and will guide her in the right direction on what she needs to do.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you. You can imagine why my friend is reluctant to see anyone because it is embarrassing to be homeless. My asking these questions will make her less inhibited to talk to a recruiter. It is hard to even walk into the office, knowing you want to impress the recruiter. I have been asking recruiters here questions as well. Some seem helpful, others not so much. When and if she will attempt to join, she'll look more professional because of my help.

Quote Originally Posted by RipLi View Post
    Thank you. You can imagine why my friend is reluctant to see anyone because it is embarrassing to be homeless. My asking these questions will make her less inhibited to talk to a recruiter. It is hard to even walk into the office, knowing you want to impress the recruiter. I have been asking recruiters here questions as well. Some seem helpful, others not so much. When and if she will attempt to join, she'll look more professional because of my help.
    It's nothing to be ashamed of.. it's not like they're gonna make fun of her.. they have the chance to actually help a person and better their lives.. those are the people I want in my Corps. Not those sniveling kids that got "tricked" into it all and get NJP'd before they even hit the fleet.

Thread Information