U.S. Marine Corps Carol Shimada Civilian Employee Logs 60 Years for the Marine Corps
Create Post

Cool U.S. Marine Corps Carol Shimada Civilian Employee Logs 60 Years for the Marine Corps

U.S. Marine Corps Carol Shimada
    Civilian Employee Logs 60 Years for the Marine Corps;
    Co-workers Say Shimada Has Many More Years in Her
    MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii, Nov. 7, 2003 — As many Marines go about living paycheck to paycheck here aboard Marine Corps Base Hawaii, very few take the time to realize who actually makes sure that they are taken care of. Carol Shimada, the civilian pay supervisor here, has been handling this responsibility for almost 60 years.

Shimada was born in Kaneohe and has lived in the area her entire life. She grew up alongside three brothers and a sister.

"I was more of a tomboy all throughout my childhood."

She attended the Sacred Hearts Academy in Honolulu through high school, until she was 16, when she began her civil service career during World War II. She was employed at the Federal Building in Honolulu as a receptionist for more than three years. During this time, she put herself through college, as she thought she would be a secretary.

After college, Shimada applied to work at Kaneohe Bay, which at that time was known as the Kaneohe Naval Air Station. When the base closed down in 1949, she became employed at Pearl Harbor as a payroll clerk.

"That began my career of accounting," said Shimada.

In 1952, Kaneohe Naval Air Station reopened and Shimada became the payroll clerk. She was promoted to civilian pay supervisor in 1960, after having switched and become an accounting technician for a couple of years. She has held the supervisor position ever since.

"I was trying to broaden my knowledge in the accounting field," she recalled.

Shimada said the most difficult times she has had in her line of work are with changing technology.

"Everything had to be redone when different systems came about. You had to put in your own time after work and on weekends to get everything all done. That was a really big accomplishment."

Throughout her years, Shimada has received superior achievement awards and a quality step increase for her exemplary performance. Along with these, Shimada has a "50 years of service" pin that she actually received on her 59th year of service.

"I feel if you want to do something, you have to give yourself. You can't just expect to always receive," she explained about her beliefs. "Just go for it and climb as high as you possibly can."

Shimada enjoys the company she's worked with over the years as well.

"I've been really fortunate throughout my career. Everyone has been so nice."

Priscilla Oku, the deputy comptroller here, has worked with Shimada for more than 25 years and says that Shimada is a very thoughtful person.

"She really has a soft heart. She'll do anything she can to assist someone, even if she has to go really out of her way to do so."

Oku also said that Shimada is truly dedicated to her job as she has more than 5,600 hours of sick leave available to her.

"Whether she's sick or not, she's still coming in to work."

Oku also said that Shimada would proudly attend her very first Marine Corps ball this year.

Shimada, a widow, was married for 42 years and has one daughter who resides in Oregon and works for the federal government.

"My daughter thinks it's fine that I still come into work everyday, but I do it because I like to meet people and keep my mind sharp," Shimada explained.

Oku said she thinks that Shimada won't ever leave the job that she is currently at as the civilian pay supervisor.

"I think she'll continue on until the day she leaves this earth."

Until that day comes, Shimada will continue on her way, doing her job, as she knows best.

On her off time, she'll tend to her garden of ferns and orchids, and otherwise ensure that the employed members aboard this base are receiving the service they need.

http://www.defendamerica.mil/profile...pr110703a.html

Sempers,

Roger

Registered User Free Member Doc Crow's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Hey I know this Lady I was at Kaneohe for more then 3 years never knew all this about her though

Credits
    Savings
    I worked in the same office as Carol for all of my time in Kaneohe Bay in '89-'93. She was always involved in all the office parties and made sure that traditional Hawaiian and Chinese foods were a part of every celebration. She always found a hungry young Lance Corporal to give her leftovers to, and introduced me to mana pua's which are these Chinese pastries with unknown meat in the center...Yumm!! She was on the base in 1946 when is was then NAS Kaneohe, and never left. I remember her as very professional and dedicated to her work and family.

Thread Information