6 die in helicopter crash Afghanistan
Create Post

6 die in helicopter crash Afghanistan

Last week we lost some of our own. That night I had the displeasure to find out that six United States Marines gave their lives, while ensuring our citizen’s freedom. They were flying missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. When I heard the news, I immediately found myself hoping one of my friends were not on the ill fated flight. I felt a flash of embarrassment for thinking so selfishly. I tried to push the feeling aside because each and every Marine is family, brothers and sisters. My heart aches for our nation, for she suffered a great loss last week, like so many days past. It is a loss that can never be recovered. I shed tears for the loved ones who are left with only memories. I pray for their pain to be eased on this day. The country and the Marines will go on. The mission will be accomplished. Time mourns no one. It keeps moving forward. However, lives are forever changed in their absence. We shall endure without the brave souls that no longer inhabit this earth.

These six Marines are not the first to have paid the ultimate price and unfortunately will not be the last. The amazing thing is, these people do not do it for money, for fame or even for themselves; they do it for the United States of America, so that we may never know the struggles of the oppressed by ensuring we are always free. Freedom, a word many of us take for granted, it is something we as Americans have come to expect without a passing thought of the cost. We need to be thankful we have people like these to stand guard for us while we sleep safe and sound in our beds. These extraordinary people do not rush in unafraid. They are the truly courageous, because they feel the fear, but forge on in-spite of it and because it has to be done. Always remember the saying that freedom is not free, the check has been written and signed with the blood of our patriots.

For the past 25 years, more than half my life, I have had the honor of serving with and recently the privilege to work with the best our nation has to offer. I have slept in the mud and on ships, sweated in the sand and shivered in the snow, but I was content, because I am a Marine and I was surrounded by others who are simply called the same. There were good times and bad. I shared them with my brothers and sisters through-out those years. I am no longer on active duty but I, like every other Marine, past and present hold the core ideals near and dear to my heart. It does not matter whether you served four years or 30: Honor, Courage and Commitment.

Those six Marines knew the risks they were taking, while their family and friends feared the consequences. They will be dearly missed and can never be replaced. Each individual service member brings with them a unique perspective to the unit in which they serve. The loss of a single Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine, seems a price too high to pay. Inevitably, someone will be there to do the job left vacant, but their shoes will never be filled. In our young country’s history, far too many have laid down their life for our future. Too many of us in the past few decades have experienced the loss of a loved one or endured the associated stress when they have been placed in harm’s way. Yet, some of the protected have never known this pain or anxiety. They continue on with their daily lives unaware of the dangers that the men and women of our Armed Forces face from day to day. They pay no heed to reports of the deaths suffered in their defense. They do not know a single name of a service member who has died for them, and for reasons I cannot imagine, the news does not twist their insides. It makes me sad to think about the indifference we sometimes see.

My job recently afforded me the opportunity to visit our service members in Afghanistan. I left the United States on 13 December 2011 and arrived at Camp Leatherneck on the 15th of December. Before I knew it, I was on my way home the 27th of the December; yes, I was only there for two weeks. I could hardly believe what I experienced during my visit. The Marines were constantly apologizing to me. Telling me how sorry they were that I had to be there during the Christmas holiday. I assured them if I had to be away from home and family; there was no place I would rather be than with Marines! I had not thought much about it before, but I came to a realization on that trip. I was walking among real life heroes, the kind of people that historians write about. These men and women thought of nothing for themselves. I was there for two weeks, yet they were apologizing to me? How could I accept that? They had been there for more than four months and had two more to go (if they were lucky), and they seemed more worried about me! It was humbling and makes me realize the responsibility I have in my job, why I am allowed to enjoy my freedom. It ignites a passion in me to do everything in my power to fight for the lives of each of them. Make their job a little easier and a great deal safer. Losing just one of them is unacceptable and breaks my heart irreparably. Either not remembering or not being grateful is a sin I will not commit and a sin I am not sure I can forgive.

I have heard the names of the heroes. One was a friend and all of them were brothers. For some reason, the great memories I have still make me smile, but does not push away the heavy sadness I feel and it seems it will never be eased. You can honor these Marines individually by remembering them and what they did for you. I am confident they will never be forgotten because their lives are already recorded in the pages of history. May the Marines and families of Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron-363 find the will to continue the fight. There is no better way to honor their fallen.

• Capt. Daniel B. Bartle, 27, of Ferndale, Wash
    • Capt. Nathan R. McHone, 29, of Crystal Lake, Ill.
    • MSgt. Travis W. Riddick, 40, of Centerville, Iowa.
    • Cpl. Jesse W. Stites, 23, of North Beach, Md.
    • Cpl. Kevin J. Reinhard, 25, of Colonia, N.J.
    • Cpl. Joseph D. Logan, 22, of Willis, Texas.

Rest in peace Marines, your struggles are over.

Semper Fidelis!
    Kendall S. Hackney

RIP Marines, Semper Fidelis Brothers.

Thread Information