Some medical questions
Create Post

Some medical questions

Evening Marines,

Before I start, I would just like to make it clear that I acknowledge the fact that none of you are doctors. I am asking for an opinion(s) from Marines on my current situation. I have a few questions, in addition to opinion, I would also love to hear previous experiences and such. Now to my question:

I would like to join the Marines but I have a bit of a medical 'history.'

At the age of 6 I was diagnosed with ADD. I understand that many of you consider this to be disqualifying but my recruiter says there has been a change in standards and that I will be fine as long as I can show that I can perform functionally without the medication for at least a year. I have been off my medications for two years now, and have a 3.00 GPA. I am also enrolled in numerous AP/Honors level classes. My grades improved while being taken off of medication. Only reason I am mentioning this is if a Marine on this site has experienced otherwise or if they believe my recruiter has given me false information (I consider this unlikely but none the less a possibility).

I also have some eye trouble. Nothing really that crazy, but I do need glasses. My vision corrects to 20/25 in one eye and 20/20 in the other, uncorrected I have nothing worse than 20/100. My problem is I have some significant astigmatism. 3.00 diopters in one eye, 3.25 in the other. I see normally with glasses, nothing else out of the ordinary. My recruiter said this may cause a problem, but was vague on what he meant. I have heard from a retired MEP examiner that they probably will not care at all, as long as you can see 20/20. Just would like a 'second opinion,' if you will, from another Marine.

Lastly, I have recently undergone hand surgery. While playing football a bone was broken off and had to be surgically put back. It was small, about the size of BB pellet. It was pinned in my hand with a small piece of metal. My hand is fully functional and has just a little scar from the surgery. My doctor released me with a full recovery. I have a strong grip at a 130 pounds.

I plan to join the Marines in a year and a half.

My question is if any of you Marines think my history is overwhelming and will disqualify me, or if anything in particular is a red flag for disqualification. I personally think that I would perform fine in the military, but it is not what I think, it is what the doctor thinks at MEPs.

Sorry for the long read.

Thank you for your time,

William.

While some could say that your medical history is overwhelming for enlistment, the only way you're going to know for yourself is to go and speak with a recruiter face-to-face and tell him/her everything on what you just told us all here.

Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    While some could say that your medical history is overwhelming for enlistment, the only way you're going to know for yourself is to go and speak with a recruiter face-to-face and tell him/her everything on what you just told us all here.

Good luck to you.
    Thank you for the response Ma'am, I posted because I was asking for a 'second opinion' and because my recruiter has not responded to my emails which I sent a week ago. I assume he is busy, so I was just wondering if the Marines on this site had any input on my situation.

Edit: What they think my outcome will be.

Also....with you only being 16, it does make a difference with a recruiter. That could be one of the reasons why the recruiter isn't getting back to you.
    Continue to keep getting good grades in school, and most importantly......stay out of trouble.
    When you're close to being 17, go in a talk with a recuiter face-to-face.

None of the Marines here will know what the outcome would be, it's not up to us.

Also....with you only being 16, it does make a difference with a recruiter. That could be one of the reasons why the recruiter isn't getting back to you.
    Continue to keep getting good grades in school, and most importantly......stay out of trouble.
    When you're close to being 17, go in a talk with a recuiter face-to-face.

None of the Marines here will know what the outcome would be, it's not up to us.
    Alright I will do that. I guess I should probably plan for the worst. Thank you for the response, and thank you for serving our country!

Quote Originally Posted by William95 View Post
    I guess I should probably plan for the worst.
    You need to be positive and stay positive!

You can't post in the poolee forum, but this should be a good "positive" and inspirational story for you to read.........

My inspirational story (Asthma)

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...007#post836007

You need to be positive and stay positive!

You can't post in the poolee forum, but this should be a good "positive" and inspirational story for you to read.........

My inspirational story (Asthma)

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...007#post836007
    Thank you for that story, it gave me some hope. I see a lot of similarities between our stories, I just hope we have the same outcome.

Just to give a quick update, I have some semi-good news.

My recruiter told me I was fine.

His exact words were-

"You are fine man, as long as the plate is permanent you are good. However I imagine you are a JR in high school. You are going to have to wait till you are classified as a senior to enlist."

Since my little anchor is permanent and does not invade upon function of my hand, I guess I am good to go.

Just curious if anyone reads this, recruiters are usually reliable, correct?

Just curious if anyone reads this, recruiters are usually reliable, correct?
    I like to think we are.

Until you become eligible in May, don't do anything stupid like get any tattoos or any of those awful ear hole gauge things, stay out of trouble with the law, stay off drugs (not saying you are on them), do well in school, and ask your recruiter if you can attend poolee functions.

Sounds like you are working with an experienced recruiter. Here is an excerpt from DoD enlistment regulations detailing disqualifying vision parameters.

"5. VISION
    a. Current distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct with spectacle lenses to at least one of the following (367):
    13 ENCLOSURE 4
    DoDI 6130.03, April 28, 2010
    (1) 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye (369.75).
    (2) 20/30 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye (369.75).
    (3) 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye (369.73).
    b. Current near visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to 20/40 in the better eye (367.1-367.32).
    c. Current refractive error (hyperopia (367.0), myopia (367.1), astigmatism (367.2x)), in excess of -8.00 or +8.00 diopters spherical equivalent or astigmatism in excess of 3.00 diopters.
    d. Any condition requiring contact lenses for adequate correction of vision, such as corneal scars and opacities (370.0x) and irregular astigmatism (367.22)."

It is part of your recruiter's responsibility to effectively screen you for qualifications. We are not infalliable, but we do a pretty good job for the most part, otherwise we waste time that we can not afford to lose.

Regardless of whether you are qualified or not medically, you still have to take a MEPS medical exam. It is the MEPS doctor's responsibility to officially deem you qualified or disqualified. Your recruiter can give you an idea, but it is up to the doctor.

I would say the closest red flag is your astigmatism. ADD should not be a concern as you are off meds and doing well. The pin in your hand may require some sort of medical documentation detailing why it is there and why it is permanent. Ultimately, "you should be fine man".

Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    I like to think we are.

Until you become eligible in May, don't do anything stupid like get any tattoos or any of those awful ear hole gauge things, stay out of trouble with the law, stay off drugs (not saying you are on them), do well in school, and ask your recruiter if you can attend poolee functions.

Sounds like you are working with an experienced recruiter. Here is an excerpt from DoD enlistment regulations detailing disqualifying vision parameters.

"5. VISION
    a. Current distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct with spectacle lenses to at least one of the following (367):
    13 ENCLOSURE 4
    DoDI 6130.03, April 28, 2010
    (1) 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye (369.75).
    (2) 20/30 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye (369.75).
    (3) 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye (369.73).
    b. Current near visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to 20/40 in the better eye (367.1-367.32).
    c. Current refractive error (hyperopia (367.0), myopia (367.1), astigmatism (367.2x)), in excess of -8.00 or +8.00 diopters spherical equivalent or astigmatism in excess of 3.00 diopters.
    d. Any condition requiring contact lenses for adequate correction of vision, such as corneal scars and opacities (370.0x) and irregular astigmatism (367.22)."

It is part of your recruiter's responsibility to effectively screen you for qualifications. We are not infalliable, but we do a pretty good job for the most part, otherwise we waste time that we can not afford to lose.

Regardless of whether you are qualified or not medically, you still have to take a MEPS medical exam. It is the MEPS doctor's responsibility to officially deem you qualified or disqualified. Your recruiter can give you an idea, but it is up to the doctor.

I would say the closest red flag is your astigmatism. ADD should not be a concern as you are off meds and doing well. The pin in your hand may require some sort of medical documentation detailing why it is there and why it is permanent. Ultimately, "you should be fine man".

This is the reply I have been looking for. Your advice and judgement has made me feel a lot better of my situation Sir

And don't worry, I wouldn't dream of doing any of those things. My mom would probably murder me if I did...

My mom would probably murder me if I did...
    You have a good mom!

They know best. Keep making her proud.

Thread Information