The Staff Sergeant Recruiter told me to get the **** out of this office.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

The Staff Sergeant Recruiter told me to get the **** out of this office.

I refused to sign open contract.

Here is the story.

They wanted me to sign an open contract before I went to MEPS to take my physical and my ASVAB.
    They assured me there wasn't any other way. That this is what everyone does and has been done for a while.
    But this girl that was in the office was about to go to MEPS with me without having to sign a open contract.

My question is where these Marine recruiter trying to pull a fast one on me?
    I told them I would not take the ASVAB or take the physical before I signed any contract. I think it's a bit ludicrous to do so.
    What if I get down there and I bomb the ASVAB and do poorly on the physical and my only option of service is to become a damn cook.

I'm not joining the Marine Corps to work in the food industry if I wanted that I would go to cooking school.
    I know there are other threads about this subject but those have been in the past and everyone seems to have their own opinion on things.

Any help from someone who knows what their talking about would be really appreciative.
    I told him I wouldn't sign an open contract before I went to MEPS. He told me to get the **** out of his office after that
    I don't want to join any other service. If these guys did me wrong I'll go to another recruiting station.

I went in open contract. It worked out.

You don't hold any cards in this game: you either do as they say, and believe they are doing you right, or you go home. Go Army?

The Corps doesn't have to convince you to be anything -- they are only going to give you a chance to be a U.S. Marine --- the rest is up to you.

That is my opinion.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I went in open contract. It worked out.

You don't hold any cards in this game: you either do as they say, and believe they are doing you right, or you go home. Go Army?

The Corps doesn't have to convince you to be anything -- they are only going to give you a chance to be a U.S. Marine --- the rest is up to you.

That is my opinion.
    One of the lines on the open contract states something like " you may be assigned any MOS that the Marine Corps currently needs"

I mean come on...

Who wants to get stuck with a waste management MOS. Sounds like you got lucky.

They didn't do you wrong. Applicants don't go to MEPS with a MOS contract.

Think about it...there is no way of knowing what MOS you're qualified for until you get your line scores from the ASVAB. Why would they let you sign up to work on jet engines when they don't even know if your test scores show all you can do is drive a truck? You won't sign a contract for your MOS till right before you ship to bootcamp.

You need to trust your recruiters; they do not need to hijack anybody to join these days. By the way, they are not guys...they are Marines!

Are you going to question your DI's too? Let us know how that works out for you.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    They didn't do you wrong. Applicants don't go to MEPS with a MOS contract.

Think about it...there is no way of knowing what MOS you're qualified for until you get your line scores from the ASVAB. Why would they let you sign up to work on jet engines when they don't even know if your test scores show all you can do is drive a truck? You won't sign a contract for your MOS till right before you ship to bootcamp.

You need to trust your recruiters; they do not need to hijack anybody to join these days. By the way, they are not guys...they are Marines!

Are you going to question your DI's too? Let us know how that works out for you.
    Hell no I'm not going to question my DI's. But recruiters have a different reputation.

reenlistment

Anyone know how the M.C. computed age?

That question makes no sense. Start a new thread. Deleted.

Now, on to the next bit....

Here's the deal. At the moment, the Corps is at around 200,000 Marines. In the VERY near future, that number is going to drop to somewhere around 186,000. With the chance for it to go EVEN lower than that.

So, new wannabees are a 'dime a dozen'. Last year, 649 Sergeants who had between 10-13 years time in service were told, "Thanks, but you didn't make SSgt this year so have a nice day". Out. Gone.

This RS probably has already 'met mission' for the forseeable future.

See where I'm going with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas1989 View Post

Who wants to get stuck with a waste management MOS. Sounds like you got lucky.
    You're not getting stuck with anything, score well on the ASVAP and you can be a pilot.

What if I get down there and I bomb the ASVAB and do poorly on the physical and my only option of service is to become a damn cook.
    Sounds to me like you have no confidence in your abilities, the Marine Corps can help you with that. Man up, take the test, see where you stand and sign the contract, or Go Army and be all you can be.

What MOS do you want?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    You're not getting stuck with anything, score well on the ASVAP and you can be a pilot.

Sounds to me like you have no confidence in your abilities, the Marine Corps can help you with that. Man up, take the test, see where you stand and sign the contract, or Go Army and be all you can be.
    Lol I scored an 88 on the AFQT.

I don't want to go Army. If it was for the benefits and money I would go Army. I have 3 years of college credit. They would give me 2-5k and make me an E3 after book camp. It's not about that though.

I want Infantry

What's the AFQT?

I find it hard to believe that he used the term "get the fvck out".... you sure you aren't kinda sorta exaggerating on that one? Especially with today's military under Obama, that kinda stunt can get a recruiter in hot water if he is reported, although I doubt he would get reported.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLBurkeD View Post
    I find it hard to believe that he used the term "get the fvck out".... you sure you aren't kinda sorta exaggerating on that one? Especially with today's military under Obama, that kinda stunt can get a recruiter in hot water if he is reported, although I doubt he would get reported.
    Yeah he said "get the **** out of my office then, you are wasting my time". That's not the issue though

I refer you to my Post #9, above.

You either want to be a Marine, or you don't. IF all that is available is Open Contract, then that's the way it is.

You can ALWAYS lat move after your first enlistment.

Not sure what, exactly, you might be looking for from us, though.

Thread Information