Is peace possible?
Create Post

Is peace possible?

Is Peace Really Possible?

SUBMITTED BY GARY KEESEE ON DECEMBER 29, 2011 - 1:14PM

People are always looking for peace.

There’s the mom whose kids keep fighting, the businessman with the unstable career, the young woman on anti-depressants, the teenage boy on drugs, the couple that can’t ever agree on their finances, the grandmother who can’t sleep at night because she’s worrying about her family—they’re all hungry for peace.

The world is hungry for peace.

People spend money and time searching for peace.
    They buy things, hoping that those things will bring peace.
    But they’re looking in the wrong places. They have it backwards.

Because peace is a product of the inside.

Peace isn’t a feeling. The world thinks peace is a feel-good thing, but it isn’t. Peace is a state of tranquility.

Jesus demonstrated true peace.
    In John 14:27, we see Jesus was letting the disciples know He was leaving. He said, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

Now, the disciples probably had a stomachache right at that moment. I can imagine what they were thinking.

“He can’t leave! He calmed the storm when we were on the boat!”
    “But He always knows how to calm our fears!”
    “He helped us understand priorities and what life was about!”
    “Every time we were afraid, He gave us courage!”
    “He healed so many and raised them from the dead! We can’t be confident without Him around!”
    “Do you remember when He told us how to pay our taxes? What are we going to do?”

See, if you had one person to go to who had all of the answers for every situation you were in, who could calm your fears, and who could calm the storms in your life with just one word, how do you think you’d act if he said he was leaving?

That’s why Jesus said, “Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” Because the disciples were troubled and afraid!

Jesus was their peace. They didn’t know how to function without Him, or at least they thought they didn’t. But Jesus was trying to tell them that it wasn’t about Him. He was the Prince of Peace, but He had peace because of what He had on the inside— the Holy Spirit. And, He was saying, “My peace (Holy Spirit) I give you.”

See, the Holy Spirit is the one that counseled Jesus. Jesus walked by the power of the Holy Spirit. Acts 10 tells us that Jesus was anointed by God. He was one with the Father and could hear His voice. And, He was passing that on.

Remember when the prodigal son was given the signet ring of his father? He was given the exact same authority. That’s what Jesus was doing. In John 14:26, He says, “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”

Who gave Jesus all of those ideas while He was walking the earth? Who gave Him the answers? That’s why God is the God of Peace—because He’s the God of answers. He knows exactly how to handle every situation. The Bible calls Him a “Comforter.” To comfort doesn’t mean to pet, hug, and love on. What comforts you when you’re sick? HEALING! What comforts you when you need money? MONEY! What comforts you when you need an idea? IDEAS!

Now, I know life can be hard. It’s easy to lose sight of peace. That’s why the Bible tells us to fix our eyes on Jesus. The Holy Spirit will remind you of who you are, of your authority, that what the devil is trying to do shall not prosper, that your story isn’t finished yet, and that you’re going to end up winning this game. When you believe Him and are comforted, joy will spring up in you.

See, the battle is over my friend. You DO have someone to go to who has all of the answers for every situation you are in, who will calm your fears, and who will calm the storms in your life with just one word, and He says He will never leave you or forsake you.

How can you not have peace if God Himself is with you? How can you walk around depressed?

It IS possible to have peace if God lives in you.

THANK YOU FOR A GREAT SERMON DOUG. I WISH THERE COULD BE WORLD PEACE DOUG, BUT CERTAIN GROUPS LIKE THE PALISTINIANS AND OTHER GROUPS WHO TORMENTS THE ISRAELIS AND WITH THAT ITS MAKES IT HARD BUT YET I PRAY EVERYDAY THAT SOME DAY THERE WILL BE THAT MOMENT LIKE IN 1977 when president carter helped with the peace treaty between Isreal and Egypt

SEMPER FI , GODBLESS YOU AND I HOPE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HAVE A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Thanks Guys, God's peace is not a physical peace Doc, but a peace in your spirit and heart. It is difficult for us to walk in God's peace but with practice it gets easier.

God bless you both and thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
    Thanks Guys, God's peace is not a physical peace Doc, but a peace in your spirit and heart. It is difficult for us to walk in God's peace but with practice it gets easier.

God bless you both and thanks
    How very true. There is no "peace" until we are reconcilled with God through Jesus Christ His son.

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name. John 1:12

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and though shalt be saved, Acts 16:31

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Rom 10:13.

Thanks for the post.

Thread Information