Commitment, Dedication, or Failure...
Create Post

Commitment, Dedication, or Failure...

May 2, 2011

I decided to join the United States Marine Corps. It has been something that I have wanted to do for a long time, I just never saw myself meeting the requirements. I can't even run a mile.

Current Weight: 262 lbs

August 17, 2011

Today, I am going to run with a Marine to time my current run time. I ran 1.5 miles in 13 minutes and 15 seconds. Then we ran back 1.5 miles in under 15 minutes. That felt pretty accomplishing for me.

August 31, 2011

Today, my recruiter is sending me to MEPS. I can't wait to meet with others who have decided to join. When I got to the hotel, I met with a bunch of guys obviously more physically fit.

September 1, 2011

Went into the MEPS building today, passed my eye, ear, drug test, etc. etc. I went into the physical screening with about 8 other guys. Man did I feel pretty crappy about myself. Doctor said I was too fat, and if I were in battle, the rest of the men in my platoon would die because I was too fat.

Current Weight: 221 lbs

October, 2011

Still stuck at 220 lbs. No matter how much I work out, how I work out, what I eat, my weight is not going down. Feeling a little failure with myself.

November, 2011

What in the world? I go to the gym 5 times a week, no soda or candy or anything really fattening.... I can't break 220 lbs. Feeling helpless. Still not going to give up, though.

December, 2011

Maybe it's because i'm lifting a little too much, maybe it's because of the holidays and the extra eating. I need to run more and lift less... Watch what i'm eating extra carefully.

Current Weight: 225 lbs

January, 2012

I have two friends, one who just graduated into the Air Force, and the other who is just weeks away from becoming a United States Marine. Seeing them go into the United States Armed Forces, I don't know if hearing how they are so happy... I don't know if that gives me extra Commitment, extra Dedication, or an increased feeling of failure...

- - - - - - - -

My recruiter tells me I need to get to around 180 lbs, while my doctor tells me that for my body type, it is a very unhealthy decision. I want to get to that weight... I need to get to that weight...

I don't really even know why i'm posting this. Maybe for some support, maybe for tips...

I don't see myself going to college or going and working at some crap job... I want to be part of the greatest fighting force in the world, the United States Marine Corps. I want to become something greater than myself. I want to fight alongside brothers.

Just, I thought I was doing so good and losing weight, and now it's just... not coming off at all.

You've hit the diet plateau.....it happens. The key is not to get discouraged. You need to change things up.......both your diet and exercise!
    A quick google search will give you tons of recipes that are healthy and are just what you're looking for, plenty of exercises for weight loss, as well as understanding weight loss plateaus.

Understanding Weight Loss Plateaus

Obstacles to Strength, Endurance and Weight Loss

http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightl...htplateaus.htm

Hope you get to achieve it someday... being on recruiter's assistance and seeing the recruiting process first hand.. you are a very rare breed, but at the same time there are a lot like you.. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who are so motivated to join but get rejected because of the standards.. while the people that do meet the standards are thinking college or other branches and need... persuasion.

Best of luck to ya.

Hey

You can do this brother! Just got to take it one day at a time. My suggestion is to start doing more body weight exercises instead and try to run more.

-Kevin S.

I can't see being in any other branch. I can't see myself doing any other job.

I am 100% dedicated to becoming a United States Marine, no matter what I have to do.

Also: I went to the gym today and I ran 5 miles. I write down everything I eat, portions, etc. etc. and when I go to the gym I talk to the gym guy who's been helping me lose the weight and what not...

I'm doing everything I can, and i'll be doing more.

I have commitment. I have the dedication. It is rough sometimes, but like the Marine Corps says...

"Adapt. Achieve. Overcome."

Quote Originally Posted by Teeters View Post
    but like the Marine Corps says...

"Adapt. Achieve. Overcome."
    That's......."Improvise, Adapt, & Overcome".

Mix up your workouts and diet, do as posted above and focus more on body weight exercises. Instead of only doing longer runs do some shorter speed workouts, ie run as fast as you can for as long as you can then slow to a jog until you recover then repeat. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    That's......."Improvise, Adapt, & Overcome".
    Oh, my bad... I was just watching the videos on the Marine Corps website and a recruit said Adapt, Achieve, and Overcome.

Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.

I better not forget that..

Thread Information