Woodpecker Damage - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Here is an update. After finding the most recent hole and not having any foam on hand, I took a garage rag and soaked it in gas. Then I stuck the gas soaked rag in the hole. So, far so good. But that is a temporary fix until I decide on something permanent.

I'm going to look into professional removal like Mongoose suggested, and see where it goes from there. But, if I come home today and the bastard has dug a new spot -- all bets might be off.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really like siverdollar's suggestion and might try that anyway

I'll try and post a pic later when I have some time.

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    look at all these new "Squad Leaders"

Must be a Convention ??????? or
    How Many Marines does it take to get rid of an OWL ?????
    Welcome to the real world,Semper Fidelis.

I'd pop it with my 410. Nobody enforces the bird laws, Nobody. My neighbors kid was shooting our state bird the Cardinal through his kitchen window, My wife called me crying. I called every state agency that told me to call the other to no avail. Nothing was ever done beside his mom lecturing me for calling her at work.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm late on this pecker problem but in my experience moth balls drive away a whole lotta types of pests. How you hang em up there, I have no idea.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Meanwhile as Wookie ponders his Woodpecker problem, the gas soaked rag remains in place, the local kid is playing with some matches and manages to ignite that gas soaked rag....

Wookie returns home to see the fire department putting out a small blaze on his roof... smoke/water damage are some major issues...

And that pesky woodpecker continues to find another location...

Quote Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar View Post
    the gas soaked rag remains in place
    I know, not the brightest solution, I know.

Sparkie, how you cut the balls off first of all ?

To Wookie

We You have a good Start to a Molitov Cocktail Hope I spelled it Right.

Credits
    Savings
    Quick,, While it still smells like gasoline,,, toss a FuzeE/aka/road flare at it..
    IF you're lucky , he'll get his feathers sindged off, and either die of fright or Exposure..
    Maybe you're home will survive the fire and maybe you wont be procecuted for ARSON.
    Good luck getting your insurance company to pay for the damage though.

IF we kick this right and in the right places, we might hijack this thread and have more laughs than we had with that Mystical Tattoo

PS
    : on my first post , i was laughing so hard , i friggin confused an owl with a woodpecker.
    Good luck with it , HappyNewYear and SemperFidelis Marines

Quote Originally Posted by recon532002 View Post
    We You have a good Start to a Molitov Cocktail Hope I spelled it Right.
    This can't be flameable,, all the way up there????

Wood pecker damage??? Why didn't you make it out of a more durable material?

1: The pecker is looking for tiny bugs that are in your wood. Yeah, yeah I know LOL. The good news is, they aren't, as a rule, termites.

2: Water hose. Spray the little bugger EVERY time you see him. No matter what he's doing, douse him. It's fun, and it'll take a couple dozen shots, but it'll work. Super soaker if you don't use the hose, they work just as well.

A marine and his rifle...solution for many problems..

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I'm looking for some help, or suggestions for a small problem I have with a woodpecker digging at my house. Seems I have a woodpecker that is either looking to nest, or searching for bugs, and in the process keeps digging into my house. I think it is just one bird. He/she/it is digging into the wood near my roof, the soffit/fascia board. I have read online that woodpeckers are a federally protected migratory species, and there is a 500 dollar fine for killing one. So, that is my last choice, but I am running out of options and patience.

My wife is home pregnant and when I come home each day she's screaming at me about birds digging in our house. Each time I go out to look, I find another hole, Which I proceed to fill in with that expanding insulating foam. But then the little bastard finds another spot and start digging again.

I'd love to set up a little hide and take the bastard out with my .308 or my .22LR -- but the neighbors might notice. So, I'm thinking about getting BB/Pelet gun and "discouraging" it from digging at my house. But the aforementioned $500 fine has me thinking.

Any idea's Leatherneck?
    Do what any Marine would do and here is the link: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/70280-55.html
    If you are worried about the noise buy 22shorts they sound like a pelet gun when they are fired you just have to shoot them one at a time because the shorts don't have enough explosion to cycle the next round in a semi..

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    city dudes
    True, true. If I lived a little more in the woods, or in the "country", I wouldn't be talking about this problem.

Thread Information