Ok...now I Am Confused (force Reduction?) - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    That IS the understanding of most of us here. You hear and read exactly that often (for whatever reason)...even from recruiters (we heard it from my niece's recruiter). But, fact is, it's just not true. We are not cutting our force now slowly or otherwise.

No Top, we aren't cutting until well after election time. MC Times calls for a 2013/2014 timetable...

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    That IS the understanding of most of us here. You hear and read exactly that often (for whatever reason)...even from recruiters (we heard it from my niece's recruiter). But, fact is, it's just not true. We are not cutting our force now slowly or otherwise.

I thought cutting numbers was the reason they had the VEERP going on? We went to 202k back in 06-07 right, when we had 2 wars going on? If we aren't going to be at war any longer we should be cutting the force size down. Save us money, and saves a massive draw down later.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The Marine Corps now has a 1 year early out program, though I doubt anyone's getting out that early. There'll be a draw down of troops in the near future, though it seems they're not doing it until we're mostly out of Afghanistan. Numbers do need to be cut, the military in general's much larger then we really need, but I'm guessing the major ones aren't coming for another year or two for all services.

They did the same thing after the Nam. In Feb 70 I took advantage of the early out for those of us who had been to the Nam and had less than a year left. I received an 11 month early out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxzero View Post
    The Marine Corps now has a 1 year early out program, though I doubt anyone's getting out that early. There'll be a draw down of troops in the near future, though it seems they're not doing it until we're mostly out of Afghanistan. Numbers do need to be cut, the military in general's much larger then we really need, but I'm guessing the major ones aren't coming for another year or two for all services.
    The earliest they're officially releasing people at Quantico is 90 days, though I saw a couple last month that were more like 120. We're getting slammed with all the people getting out. And adseps, damn. The Marine Corps is kicking people out faster than you can say Semper Fi.

Thread Information