Info to new Marine's
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Info to new Marine's

Hello! Our son graduated at Parris Island 2011/2/12. During his 10-day leave, one of the recruiter's told him repeatedly that he has (had?) a "good" chance of returning home from MCT to do Recruiter's Assistance because of the holidays (Christmas/New Year's). I saw somewhere either on the Camp Geiger site or Camp LeJuene site that new Marine's are NOT sent home if not "picked up", but are put in a "holding platoon". An operator at Camp Geiger told me the same thing.

I'm not one to tell people, especially a Marine how to do their job. I do believe that new Marine's should NOT be given info that is not accurate. I'm hoping our son is maintaining a good attitude, as he was "sure" about being sent home. I do believe he is not pleased with the info he did get.

How can this be resolved so the Recruiter stops giving bad info? I cannot seem to find what I had seen on the site's about the "holding platoon". Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
    J. Combs

If there are not enough students to start a class then the students are put in a holding platoon. This means until there are enough students for a new class they will be doing working parties, etc. Usually recruting assistance is done between boot camp and MCT.

Credits
    Savings

My concern

My problem is that the Recruiter gave us, and our son inaccurate information. Why is he not up to speed on what MCT does do when a new Marine reports there concerning what MCT does or doesn't do during the holiday's?

We didn't think the U.S.M.C would send him up here until after the New Year, but the Recruiter kept telling him he "might". And if I, a civilian can find out via Google, why does he not know anyway?

Btw, for what it's worth, my Dad was a Warrant Officer in the U.S.M.C, and something like this he would not tolerate.

Things lik this have gone on forever. The left hand doesnt always shake the right hand. In 89 I was promised recruiters assistance and never got it. Then found out it was apporved the day I checked into MCT.

Credits
    Savings
    Ohh, I know about the left hand, right hand thing. That is everywhere, civilian and Military. My problem is the Recruiter is clueless (yes, I am taking this up with him). The thing is, they train even through the holiday's, with "maybe" a few hour's of liberty. And that is what the Recruiter doesn't seem to know. And I easily found out.

I am taking this matter to him though, for future new Marine's. We know nothing is neccessarilly in "stone", especially with thing's in such flux these day's. I DO believe people who are in the business of getting our young people in the Armed Forces, should be better informed, or at least, know more than what we as civilian's know about what, or what may not happen.

Bottom line is, it's up to his unit to decide, not the recruiter. Once you ship off to boot camp, the recruiter is out of the picture, he's done his job. If you want to know what the policies of your new unit are, wait to get there and ask them.

Welcome to our beloved Marine Corps,Semper Fidelis.

Welcome to the "USMC's school of hard knocks" dad. Many of us here are graduates. Your son just completed lesson #1...there will be many more so I suggest you take a deep breath. This incident is minor in the scope of things and really not worth shooting red star cluster flares over (or taking up his recruiter's time). Your son hasn't even deployed yet; how will you react when it's a major incident?

We call inaccurate info "bum scoop" and if I had a buck for every time I was given bum scoop during my career I would be living a lot more comfortably than I am today.

You may also remind your son he joined the military service; not the corporate world. He does not work a regular 40 hour Monday through Friday week with weekends and holidays off. Marines do not expect to be home for the holidays; if it happens they consider themselves extremely lucky. After a 22.6 year career, I can probably count the holidays off on one hand (they were rare to say the least). No doubt our deployed Marines in Afghanistan would like to be home too.

Finally, if your son was in my shop and came to me with this problem, I would quickly remind him he is no longer a member of the "me generation", issue him a swab, and tell him to go away. Sounds like, he would call daddy and whine about his big bad Top, and daddy would want to talk to somebody...see the problem here? Your son is now a U.S. Marine and it's time he starts acting like one instead of a frat boy away at college. You do not fight his battles for him any longer; you are there to support him only.

And this is only the beginning... lol good luck and enjoy the ride.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The best source of information is your son. He is on the inside track and can without recourse ask these questions close and personal at his command. Leatherneck is not an admin shop nor is it HQMC.

I would be truely embarrassed if my mom started meddling in my buisness! You are coming dangerously close changing a hard charger into a mamas boy.

Credits
    Savings

I undrstand what you're saying, thing is,

I'm the son of a Marine, and now the father of one. I know there are many unexpected things to happen. I also stated "my problem" is the Recrutier constantly encouraging him that he'd be sent back up because of the holiday's. I also stated the problem I have is that if I, a civilian can easily learn that MCT trains during the holiday's, why does not a Ssgt. know this?

We know he'll possible get deployed, that's what he is in there for, to do hs part. To become part of something bigger than him, with a mission that is more imporatant than what he's faced in the past. He's never been a part of the "me" generation, we didn't raise him like that. Going into the Marine's has been someting he's wanted since he was 5-6 year's old. Even though "The Green Beret" is an Army movie, it was one of his favorites. Blackhawk Down, Windtalker's, Private Ryan, We Were Soldier's, Band of Brother's, etc.

He'd chew his toast into a pistol, even though he'd never seen one (out T.V. was very limited living in the country). And for what it's worth, he has us in his mind, as we, his parent's live with a potentially fatal, yet chronic illness. Yet, he KNOWS that he's there to do what he's there for. To train, to learn and to be the best Marine he can be and do. So, our whole family knows the "school of hard knocks" very, very well.

As far as "taking up the Recruiter's time", I'd think he'd want to be accurate in what information he hands out to new Marine's concerning MCT, and it's training, even through a holiday. We, his mother and I expected that, and told him to expect it, that we didn't think the U.S.M.C would send him back up, then have him return. My whole point, if one would not read between the lines, as there is nothing there, is I believe a Recruting Marine of rank would, and should know better.

And one final thing? We've not stepped into our son's hassle's or "knock's" for some time. He's been quite independent for some year's. The most we've done is guidance, and to advise, to watch his "6". To not be where potential trouble might be, and to leave if it "doesn't smell right".

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Welcome to the "USMC's school of hard knocks" dad. Many of us here are graduates. Your son just completed lesson #1...there will be many more so I suggest you take a deep breath. This incident is minor in the scope of things and really not worth shooting red star cluster flares over (or taking up his recruiter's time). Your son hasn't even deployed yet; how will you react when it's a major incident?

We call inaccurate info "bum scoop" and if I had a buck for every time I was given bum scoop during my career I would be living a lot more comfortably than I am today.

You may also remind your son he joined the military service; not the corporate world. He does not work a regular 40 hour Monday through Friday week with weekends and holidays off. Marines do not expect to be home for the holidays; if it happens they consider themselves extremely lucky. After a 22.6 year career, I can probably count the holidays off on one hand (they were rare to say the least). No doubt our deployed Marines in Afghanistan would like to be home too.

Finally, if your son was in my shop and came to me with this problem, I would quickly remind him he is no longer a member of the "me generation", issue him a swab, and tell him to go away. Sounds like, he would call daddy and whine about his big bad Top, and daddy would want to talk to somebody...see the problem here? Your son is now a U.S. Marine and it's time he starts acting like one instead of a frat boy away at college. You do not fight his battles for him any longer; you are there to support him only.

Credits
    Savings

He knows to ask questions

We taught him long ago to ask question's, to handle his own hassle's for some year's. He seen by example that we ask, and how we handle situation's. So, in this situation, we are NOT meddling. We'll know how to write to him when we get a letter from him (as we did when he went to Parris Island). If one would READ, it was me who has the problem of a Recrutier giving inaccurate information about being home for Christmas. When in fact, MCT works during the holiday's! Why are so many reading into something that isn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinbo View Post
    The best source of information is your son. He is on the inside track and can without recourse ask these questions close and personal at his command. Leatherneck is not an admin shop nor is it HQMC.

I would be truely embarrassed if my mom started meddling in my buisness! You are coming dangerously close changing a hard charger into a mamas boy.

Quote Originally Posted by jclarke View Post
    Hello! Our son graduated at Parris Island 2011/2/12. During his 10-day leave, one of the recruiter's told him repeatedly that he has (had?) a "good" chance of returning home from MCT to do Recruiter's Assistance because of the holidays (Christmas/New Year's). I saw somewhere either on the Camp Geiger site or Camp LeJuene site that new Marine's are NOT sent home if not "picked up", but are put in a "holding platoon". An operator at Camp Geiger told me the same thing.

I'm not one to tell people, especially a Marine how to do their job. I do believe that new Marine's should NOT be given info that is not accurate. I'm hoping our son is maintaining a good attitude, as he was "sure" about being sent home. I do believe he is not pleased with the info he did get.

How can this be resolved so the Recruiter stops giving bad info? I cannot seem to find what I had seen on the site's about the "holding platoon". Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
    J. Combs
    The recruiter didn't give your son bad information. I have personally had Marines who were in holding at Camp Geiger awaiting MCT come home on recruiter's assistance. This was last year. Maybe the base commander changed the policy this year, but it is pretty simple.

Your son asks his platoon Sergeant for permission. If permission is granted, the recruiter can send the request form. Request form gets filled out and sent back to recruiter. Recruiting office sends orders to MCT. Son gets on flight and TADAA!

Credits
    Savings

He's expecting nothing

We, or our son have never felt, "entitled". what thing's he's gotten, he's earned by working. Clothes, game console's, games, whatever, he earned the money. He's is not looking for what the U.S.M.C can do for him. He is looking, wanting to do for his country. It's all he's wanted since he was a young boy. And it's how we tried to guide and encourage him. To get a goal, and go after it with his entire being. And to keep away from people who may not be in his best interest for him to get to that goal. He's very determined to do what he has to do, needs to do to accomplish his goal. And he knew several year's ago, that there are things we cannot step into, that certain things are his decision, and his consequences. All during last Summer, and his senior year in high school, this past Summer he was doing PT at two recruiting offices, Monday thru Saturday, attending ALL event's.

When I'd pick him up from PT, he'd be muddy from head-to-toe, I was the only parent who didn't call to complain, as I knew he'd be in the mud during boot camp, and in the field. It's all part of it, he knew, and I knew it. Ya'll are reading into what isn't there. His Mom and I are on SSD, and I'd give my left arm (I'm left handed) to get out of it. But we cannot, there's no cure. But he's seen us push on through the hardest of times, and knows we do NOT quit. My favorite quote is from Galaxy Quest. "Never Give Up! Never Surrender!", and it was what was in every letter sent to him at the Island. He knows it's totally all him now.

I don't understand all of what is being written. All I did was to "vent" about the contant inaccuracies, and hopes a Recruiter handed out.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    Post 8 is unbelievably and totally accurate and very very well said.
    My hat (I know, "cover") goes off to Tennessee Top.

From what I can see, this whole area of entitlement, surprise that the Corps can "do that to me" and a whole host of related areas----this has been a problem for several years now. I can only wonder if and when we will return to a time where Marines just serve in the Corps instead of asking how the Corps can serve them.

Enough said or I'll be on the road to getting banned. LOL.

Just to make it clear...afraziaaaa is an active recruiter so he KNOWS what he is talking about.

Thread Information