Marine Life with Family
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Marine Life with Family

I am considering on enlisting to the Marine Corps, do not have a ship date yet. I am currently engaged and enlisting to support my future family, this would be the beging our our marriage. We both are in our early twenties and have been together for the last three years. This is something I have always wanted to do, become a Marine. Now this is not just for myself. My question is, are the benifits worth the enlistment for my future family? What would it be like, an idea? or anything anyone can advise me. Thank you in advance.

orly28, you should start with this: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103170

Get your profile squared away before you expect many answers.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by orly28 View Post
    I am considering on enlisting to the Marine Corps, do not have a ship date yet. I am currently engaged and enlisting to support my future family, this would be the beging our our marriage. We both are in our early twenties and have been together for the last three years. This is something I have always wanted to do, become a Marine. Now this is not just for myself. My question is, are the benifits worth the enlistment for my future family? What would it be like, an idea? or anything anyone can advise me. Thank you in advance.

How many in your future family? Are you planning to get married before boot camp or afterward?

Enlisted Marines do not make a huge amount of money, even with housing allowance. Your wife will probably have to work too. My standard advice to young Marines is to not get married until you make Sergeant at least.

One reason is finances, the other is you will have adjusted to the Corps by then and know the ins and outs. You'll be able to explain the realities of the Corps to your bride.

The main reality is the Corps comes first and foremost in your life. Whether your family likes it or not, they are in second place when the Corps calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    How many in your future family? Are you planning to get married before boot camp or afterward?

Enlisted Marines do not make a huge amount of money, even with housing allowance. Your wife will probably have to work too. My standard advice to young Marines is to not get married until you make Sergeant at least.

One reason is finances, the other is you will have adjusted to the Corps by then and know the ins and outs. You'll be able to explain the realities of the Corps to your bride.

The main reality is the Corps comes first and foremost in your life. Whether your family likes it or not, they are in second place when the Corps calls.

You do not become a Marine for the benefits. Go check out the Army or Air Force; their benefits are the same but they have nicer bases and amenities (besides that, bootcamp is a lot easier and shorter so you won't be away from your new bride as long).

Like Zulu 36 said, the Marine Corps expects to be first in everything you do...your wife will be second.

Quote Originally Posted by orly28 View Post
    You should at least be a Sgt before you even think of tying the knot, Jody will be your best friend in the mean time,Semper Fidelis.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It will be three in my family. The decision has not been made wether getting married would be made before or after, but leaning towards before. At this point now, I mention benefits because I want my family to be taken care of in some shape or form that the civilian life can provide for me at this moment. I do understand it will not be as simple and easy, within time we both will settle down. Just want the inside look, perspective of a Marine that has been in similar shoes I am now.

I thank you all for the words of advice.

You should know that you'll need a waiver for your dependents. Run a search on the site, and google, as that has been covered before.
    And no, none of the Marines here know whether a dependency waiver will be approved or not.
    Your best bet is to talk with a recuiter face-to-face.

You may not be aware of this (it is not publicized a lot but sometimes you read about it). It is common for privates and privates first class with a wife and small children to be on food stamps. Is this the type of lifestyle you want for your family? Remember, there is a good possibility you will be deployed overseas and not around to help them out (can your wife deal with that?). This is why so many are saying not to get married till you are a Sgt at least (and that does not garauntee anything; I was a Sgt when I got married and our marriage lasted until I got sent to Okinawa for 12 months...that's when Jody came around).

Base housing is something you apply for. There is always a waiting list (we waited 13 months) and in the meantime, you will have to rent off base somewhere. You will be given a housing allowance to help with the rent. Once you move into base housing, the housing allowance goes away so your paycheck will shrink.

Free medical coverage for you and your family will be a big benefit (at least it was free when I was on active duty).

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you want to join so you can "support a family," then enlisting is a terrible idea. There are people receiving more money on unemployment checks than our paychecks. You should only join the Marine Corps if becoming a Marine is your primary goal.

Thread Information