Unique question about enlisting
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Unique question about enlisting

So, right now I am 16 years old and a high school senior. I was granted the chance to skip my junior year of high school, and took it, so that I would be able to enlist into the Marines sooner. I plan to graduate on June 6th, 2012. Although, I don't turn 17 until September 12th, 2012. After I graduate high school, I am moving from MD to Ohio to live with my Dad and my brothers before I enlist. Both my Mom and my Dad agreed to sign consent for me to join the Marine Corps. That gives me around 3 months in Ohio before I am eligible to enlist.

I know that the fiscal year starts on October 1st, and i believe I will have a better chance of getting my desired MOS (18xx) if i have my paperwork and everything completed, or atleast started by then.

My question is, when should I talk to a recruiter? Will I be able to get paperwork, etc. started when I am 16 and 10 months, so that when I am 17 I am good to go?

Thanks Marines,
    Rodney Himes

I would recommend initiating contact with a recruiter in the area you plan to enlist from. The required paper work may take some time. You will need a dd1966 and possibly other forms for the age waiver, depending on your situation. I could not find anything in 1100.72 that prevents a recruiter from talking to you prior to the 17th birthday.

If you are decided on the MOS then stand your ground and wait for the 4th and then 1st QTR allocations to be released.

The only risk to communicating early is that you will get impatient, and want to leave before being guaranteed your MOS.

Since you skipped right over the 11th grade, I will assume its because you are a very smart kid. If that is the case, why not go to OCS and become a Marine Officer?

Yes you can go to your recruiter before you're 17, but unless I'm mistaken you won't be able to sign. But getting the ball rolling is a very important step, you'll be able to understand your options and explore new ones too.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    okay thanks Marines

Also one last question, I am really set on the 18xx MOS's. But i've read through forums and know i cant pick the specific job, only the MOS group.

Is there a such thing as getting a contract for the 18xx MOS group or do I have to sign for combat support?
    I looked through some of the combat support jobs and the only ones I liked were the 18xx's.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eddy7933 View Post
    okay thanks Marines

Also one last question, I am really set on the 18xx MOS's. But i've read through forums and know i cant pick the specific job, only the MOS group.

Is there a such thing as getting a contract for the 18xx MOS group or do I have to sign for combat support?
    I looked through some of the combat support jobs and the only ones I liked were the 18xx's.

Thanks
    I'm almost positive that there is a specific contract for the 18XX field, but I'm not 100% sure. However, I can call up my recruiter and get you a definite answer, or I'll let you know when I start my PTAD and I can look at the contracts myself - but the quickest solution would just be to call up your local recruiter or a recruiter in Ohio and start talking to him and actually ask about the specific job you want.

You've got a while to go, so just keep up the good grades, and stay out of trouble. Don't get any tattoos either. It's hard to get in right now.

Thread Information