20 years of service
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

20 years of service

This is one of those questions that I had no luck finding the answer to by searching on my own. I know after 20 years of military service a person is eligible for retirement benefits. My question is do you have to serve all 20 years in one branch of the military or is it just 20 years of cumulative service no matter if you serve in more than one branch?

It doesn't matter. I'm on my 3rd branch now. You can combine any branch, either active or reserve or both.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's all cumulative.

I retired with 21-years of service, seven in the Corps (six active) and 14 in the Air Guard (same as Air Force Reserve for retirement purposes). Besides elliscraig, I know Sgt Lep is a three-service retiree and I know there are a number of two-service retirees on the site too.

Credits
    Savings
    Two service retire here,
    Started with the best USMC
    To remain in my field and not relocate had to finish in the Army

Trained by the best and spent the remainder training less fortunates

I was leading 20 mile marches at 40 +
    Would wait till the youngsters had left THE area and then do my heavy breathing LOL

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the quick responses Marines. I was just curious because once I finish college I am going to join the USMC but if I decide to make the military a career and wanted switch branches for some reason my time in the Corps would count towards that 20 years and I wouldn't have to start over.

Another thing I couldnt find by searching was if I were to leave the Marines after my first enlistment and wanted to become an Army Ranger. Would I be active duty or reserve since I am prior service and if I were reserve could I become active? Or is it if you are prior service you have to stay reserve duty?

Quote Originally Posted by SC13 View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses Marines. I was just curious because once I finish college I am going to join the USMC but if I decide to make the military a career and wanted switch branches for some reason my time in the Corps would count towards that 20 years and I wouldn't have to start over.

Another thing I couldnt find by searching was if I were to leave the Marines after my first enlistment and wanted to become an Army Ranger. Would I be active duty or reserve since I am prior service and if I were reserve could I become active? Or is it if you are prior service you have to stay reserve duty?
    You'll have to talk to an Army recruiter about that. It depends on what their needs are. As of right now though, they're going to lean on the reserves more as a way to help reduce the budget. Less active duty, more reserve. As soon as your done with your assignment you go home instead of staying.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks elliscraig!

Yep. Most of my time was in the Corps, but I also did a couple years Army reserve (11B, Infantryman) and finished out my time in the Air National Guard as a Bio-Environmental Engineer.

So certainly possible...but NOT the easiest way to go LOL.

Credits
    Savings
    I imagine it's probably difficult as you stated Sgt. Is the prior service/reserve duty the same throughout all other branches? Also, does this work differently if you wanna become an officer in another branch?

Can't help with the officer question. Once you get 10 or more years in, it doesn't matter LOL

Credits
    Savings
    Besides Apache, who already answered this, what were the reason(s) why you Marines switched branches?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Besides Apache, who already answered this, what were the reason(s) why you Marines switched branches?
    Two reasons: #1 - The USMCR was sending me to the same old boring places I'd been to before. #2 - The Air Guard was sending me to places I've never seen before.

Too old to be a Marine again, had to go Navy Reserve.

Credits
    Savings
    Valid reasons. What were the reason(s) you joined the Corps and what is something you wish you would have known before enlisting that you could pass on to a Marine hopeful. I know there is a forum dedicated to this topic but I just figured why I had a couple of Marines, who have a lot influence on this site, on my thread I would just throw it out there. If you do not want to answer I understand considering there is a forum for this subject.

Any info will be appreciated and Thanks .

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Valid reasons. What were the reason(s) you joined the Corps and what is something you wish you would have known before enlisting that you could pass on to a Marine hopeful. I know there is a forum dedicated to this topic but I just figured why I had a couple of Marines, who have a lot influence on this site, on my thread I would just throw it out there. If you do not want to answer I understand considering there is a forum for this subject.

Any info will be appreciated and Thanks .

I joined the Corps because it was a family tradition and because I wanted to do what my father had done just to prove to myself I could do it. I did.

As to what I wish I knew before: Everything recruits know now before they go in. We didn't have the information availability that exists now. You went in somewhat blind, dependent on the recruiter's info (truthful in my case) and anything gleaned from Marine vets (who liked to lie just to mess with you).

Thread Information