Cant't swim and leave for boot in 21 days?
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Cant't swim and leave for boot in 21 days?

Hello Marines as the title says I leave for MCRD Parris Island in 21 days for an Active Duty 0311 contract and don't know how to swim. I asked my recruiter if they would teach you to swim but he says he went through boot 10 years ago so he's not sure if they do now. I'm sorry if this question has been asked before but my search so far hasn't turned up anything. Any answers are welcome and thanks for your time and answers.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You ain't never jumped off any railroad tressles in them WV mountains into the raging rivers....don't know what your missing.

Credits
    Savings

Swimming...................

Pay up your life insurance Me personally ? I never went in the pool in boot.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
    Hello Marines as the title says I leave for MCRD Parris Island in 21 days for an Active Duty 0311 contract and don't know how to swim. I asked my recruiter if they would teach you to swim but he says he went through boot 10 years ago so he's not sure if they do now. I'm sorry if this question has been asked before but my search so far hasn't turned up anything. Any answers are welcome and thanks for your time and answers.
    I went through boot in 2006. For those that 'have trouble' swimming. The swim instructor will spend some time with you to help you. However, in boot camp, there is only a limited time to 'teach' you. A lot has to be done during 13 wks. If you can't pass the second time, more than likely, you'll be dropped.

For basic swim qual, the only real swimming is 4 mins of treading (you can use the blouse inflation technique) water 25 meters in cammies and boots and a 25 meter swim using a water proof pack as flotation to carry you and your gear. The other event is a 10 sec. 'gear ditching' skill wear you ditch your rifle, flak, helmet and rubber rifle in the shallow end with your head underwater. This is the standard swim qual. Start off being comfortable in the water and learning basic strokes (breast or back stroke). Relax, use steady movements and don't panic.

They will teach you basic "how not to drown" techniques - hopefully enough for most rocks to get through recruit training without getting recycled or dropped.

Seriously though, I have to ask the question -- you leave shortly to go through recruit training to hopefully become an infantry Marine, and you didn't take the time to at least take a basic Red Cross adult swim class?

You do realize that Marines are "Soldiers of the Sea" and all that crap, right? You do get the whole "amphibious" bit, right?

To me, this is kind of like "I leave for MCRD in three weeks, can anyone recommend a workout program for me to get in shape?"

I doubt that anyone has a correct figure for how many recruit have completed Boot Camp who could not swim a lick, but I am guessing the figure is way up there. You do not have to be Michael Philps to complete water survival. Believe it or not you can drown in a cup of water. You have to relax, don't panic, tread water by moving your hands and feet. The main thing is to be relaxed. Your head is the heaviest pard of your body. Do not panic and you will be fine.

contact your local YMCA.They can teach you to at least swim basically easily in 3 weeks if you work at it.Will cost a few bucks but should make it easier.We had a recruit from Hawaii that couldn't swim and was afraid of the water.He refused to get in the pool.The instructors threw him in.Down he went,they pulled him out.Will you try now? No.They threw him in again and pulled him out.Try now?YES SIR!He learned to swim.Maybe things were different in the "old corps".

Thread Information