Will an MOS be suggested based on my background?
Create Post

Will an MOS be suggested based on my background?

Good Day Marines,

Its been Years since ive been back here, i almost forgot about my password.*

Anyhow before the question, here's some background.

For the past 2 years, while in college, ive been working with the OSO in Texas for a ground contract to get into OCS. While getting passed up selection board after selection board, the Marine Corps began its downsizing. Now in my first semester as a masters student, i was passed up again for selection in class 209, the 2 out of 30 that got selected were both cases of perfect PFTs, both Prior Enlisted Marines(E-5s), both were recipiants of the Bronze Star(one with a V device). Obviously there is no comparison between that and a college grad. with only a 290PFT and a B+ GPA. Not that feel cheated, those Marines certainly earned the spots they fought for, its just that they may be the last in before there are virtually nil OCS, AD, Ground contracts avaliable.

So, now im reconsidering my options, while OCS was a goal i would like to achieve, the fact is i want to be a Marine regardless of enlisted/officer status. So instead of facing a bleak future (civi-side) wasting time applying to be an Officer, im going to enlist and become a Marine first and formost.

With that said, im going to be a soon-to-be 23 year old, college grad. My question is am i going to be limited to certain MOS's?
    Moreover, am i going to recieve heat, as a college grad, for enlisting?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my question(s). Ill be looking forward for your responses.

respects,
    Khalifah

*If a mod could please edit out the "88" in my username? Im no neo-nazi.

I haven't been on the enlisted side, but I'm pretty sure your MOS is dependent on your selections, in conjunction with your recruiter, and of course the needs of the Marine Corps.

As far as 'heat': how is someone going to effectively give you a hard time for bettering yourself? Doesn't make sense to me. Additionally, my roommate from undergrad just enlisted in the Navy, and my sister who is currently working on her masters just enlisted in the Air Force. So you are certainly not going to be the only college graduate entering on the enlisted side.

Finally, I think people often forget that our enlisted Marines are leaders too. There is no escaping leadership in the Marine Corps, at any rank! If one doesn't want to be responsible and serve others, then I'd say they need to find a different branch -- one that doesn't believe in small unit leadership.

So, your education is something to be proud of. Put what you have learned to good use as you progress on the enlisted side and are put in positions of leadership.

Sir,

In regards to "heat" question the basis of the question is from the expirience to a good friend of mine who had recently became a Marine at MCRD San Diego. When i mentioned to him im going to enlist, he said 'be prepared for more sh*t from the DIs than usual". Then he mentioned the story of one college grad among the recruits who was rode especially hard throughout. Im assuming he was treated in such a way because he wasnt acting his age. But without more info i can only guess why-as they say "To each his own" i guess.

Thank you for the reply, Sir.

khalifah

My nephew, a college grad, went through MCRDPI 2 years ago. He never got messed with being a college grad or his age.......he was 25 when he went left for boot camp, and turned 26 while he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalifah88 View Post
    In regards to "heat" question[,] the basis of the question is from the experience of [...] a good friend of mine who [...] recently became a Marine at MCRD San Diego. [khalifah
    I would still encourage you to be proud of your education -- tempered with humility. Don't go telling everyone you know all because of your diploma! That probably would earn you some extra attention.

I went through a similar path to yours, realizing I was not going to secure an OCS slot due to the sheer volume of competition I enlisted in the Marine Corps at 28 years old and with a Master's degree from BU.

For one, your civilian work experience and education is not a factor in your MOS selection. I've practiced PR for more than 8 years and it's what I got my master's in, but I was not pressured to select Public Affairs for my MOS. I actually picked 0311 Rifleman. It's totally up to you. Even if I had picked PA for my MOS I would get no special treatment despite my considerable existing experience and education - I would have had to attend the same MOS school as the HS grad motivators to my left and right.

As for "special attention" at the MCRD, that largely depends on you. I made a conscious effort to not give the drill instructors any reason to pay more attention to me than the next guy. My drill instructors had no idea I had a BA and MS until the very end of boot when the Battalion SgtMaj discovered it while asking me questions at the Battalion Commander's inspection.

At SOI, my instructors knew from the start because of a questionnaire we filled out. The combat instructors didn't really taunt me or anything (that's not really their style anyway--they're not DI's) but when I made mistakes I could expect sarcastic comments like "For a college grad you're not that bright, huh?"

My advice? Make no mention of your education unless asked, and never mention your pursuit of OCS while you're in the training pipeline. They can't help you at the MCRD or SOI get an OCS slot, so mentioning it will simply draw the wrong kind of attention to you and suggest to them that you view enlisting as second-best or a last resort.

Good luck, grow a thick skin for the occassional Marine who will mock you for your education, and pursue your dream without regrets. You'll ultimately have a leg up on your younger colleagues when it comes to promotions, knocking out MCi's, and just life experience and maturity in general.

Thread Information