Deploying without enough training
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Deploying without enough training

Hello,
    My son just graduated from SOI a couple of weeks ago. He is one of 12 new Marines assigned to a unit that is deploying to Afghanistan in Feb. of 2012. The first week in his new unit he and the other 11 were the only ones there. His unit was in the field for 3 weeks mountain training for Afghanistan. They have been training for deployment since July. My son will not be getting all of the training that they received. They are also coming home for 2 weeks for Christmas, that will further cut his training time. My son has expressed some real anxiety about lack of training and going to Afghanistan. He is an infantry Mortarman. Has this happened to any of the Marines here? He has been very strong throughout boot camp and SOI. This is the first time he has expressed any anxiety and doubt in himself. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Jakesmom; 11-01-11 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Clarification

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ma'am, site rules require that you complete a profile prior to posting. If you could clear that up, I'm certain someone will be along to answer your question. Thanks.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, I think I have just completed the profile, if not let me know.

Hopefully he will not go into heavy combat. There is never enough training for combat, it's purely ojt.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OK, Kelly, you're good. Thanks.

I can understand you and your son being a little nervous about missing most of his unit's workup. I can tell you that even with the training his has now and will get, he will have a lot more combat training than many of Marines here had before going to Vietnam.

There were very, very few multi-month unit workup periods then and everything above the most basic level had to be learned on-the-job just like Advanced said. He knows.

It is true that the more training you have, the better, but combat is a whole lot of reality dumped on top of theory. Your son should soak up every bit of knowledge and training his peers, NCOs, and officer have for him. It is in their best interest to have him as much up to speed as possible. He can count on having a large percentage of combat veterans in his unit, including his leaders. That helps a lot.

My advice is for him to stay in shape, hit the gym and push iron, build up past the boot camp/SOI PT. If he went through Pendleton for SOI, he'll already have a slight appreciation for mountains, although they're little lumps compared to the Hindu Kush.

As every deployment is different, the whole unit will go through an OJT learning curve after they get to Afghanistan. He should pretty well know everyone by then and they'll know him.

I had two-months in my unit before we all went to Vietnam and everybody knew everybody just fine. We never did a special deployment work-up as it was an 1972 Easter Offensive pack-your-trash and get going type deal. Three days later I was in Vietnam and working. A good old-fashioned Marine Corps embark and go. I hit the ground running and did OK.

Your son will too.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Wishing your son luck....

One cannot prepare for war or combat.....one can train....but the real life scenario is going to be OJT......and what happens today.

He needs to pay attention to the ones that have been there before him his NCO's .....Team leader...and peers that are skilled in the mortarman MOS.....he will work...eat and sleep with his team.....so that they will be like one.

Sgt Zulu gave excellent advice his leaders and his peers with more experience will take care of him.....and show him the ropes

While waiting for leave at Christmas and waiting to deploy he needs to soak up as much knowledge about his job and his surroundings as he can...also as stated stay in the best physical shape as possible.

Again good luck to YOU and your son....

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    As long as he has some combat vets with him, he'll do fine. Their well being depends on his ability as well as his depends on them. They will be more than happy to show him the ropes. Tell him to make sure his common sense is at 100%.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm trying to think of a training time line that quantifies when there has been enough training and SNM is fully prepared to go to war. I can't think of a check in the box scenario where that works out.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakesmom View Post
    Hello,
    My son just graduated from SOI a couple of weeks ago. He is one of 12 new Marines assigned to a unit that is deploying to Afghanistan in Feb. of 2012. .

Nothing like telling the enemy when the new rotation rolls in...

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Seems like he needs some training on OPSEC

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    Nothing like telling the enemy when the new rotation rolls in...
    New unit rotations are publicized months in advance by DoD. Go to their website:

http://www.defense.gov/releases/

And if you don't think the Afghans know when new units are coming in, your being awfully naive. A new Marine unit arrives, seven-months later it leaves. One only needs a calendar and the ability to count to seven (or 12 for Army units, six for Air Force).

Thread Information