Want to be a United States Marine. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Young man, I was in the Marines 44 yrs ago times and things have changed a lot.
    Bottom line go talk to a Marine Recruiter he can and will answer all your concerns and put your mind at ease. Good Luck Semper Fi. Cpl. M Hamann.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt108 View Post
    Young man, I was in the Marines 44 yrs ago times and things have changed a lot.
    Bottom line go talk to a Marine Recruiter he can and will answer all your concerns and put your mind at ease. Good Luck Semper Fi. Cpl. M Hamann.
    Already done so Cpl. In the process of getting where I need to be. Thank you.

I have to agree with most of the Marines here. Your buddy shouldn't be going to the recruiter you should be standing tall in front of him. And when they take you, and they probably will, then you have to set your mind to becoming a Marine. I remember when the boxer tried and washed out, actually cried to get released. It's not for everyone that's why it's the Marines and damn too few of us. Wear the title with respect young man and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ridingcrops View Post
    good luck.
    Thank you Marine.

Going in a little older is a different experience, and keep in mind that what you get out of your Marine career is what you put into it. I saw you wanted to be a grunt, and nothing but respect for that, most of my buddies are grunts. Keep your mind open though. I was going the same way, ended up changing my contract to leave sooner. At first I was disappointed but I love what I do now. Just be sure to give it everything you've got because skating by doesn't do you any good in the long run. Good luck man. Rah.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunPOG View Post
    Going in a little older is a different experience, and keep in mind that what you get out of your Marine career is what you put into it. I saw you wanted to be a grunt, and nothing but respect for that, most of my buddies are grunts. Keep your mind open though. I was going the same way, ended up changing my contract to leave sooner. At first I was disappointed but I love what I do now. Just be sure to give it everything you've got because skating by doesn't do you any good in the long run. Good luck man. Rah.
    Thank you for your input Marine. Im giving 100% percent now to get to where I need to be to enlist and I plan on giving the Corps my heart and soul, may even make a career out of it but only time will tell. May I ask what it is that you do in the Corps?

I'm a 5974 Tactical Data Systems Administrator. Basically I setup, maintain, and repair the computer systems that the Air Wing uses to manage the battle theater.

I'm a 5974 Tactical Data Systems Administrator. Basically I setup, maintain, and repair the computer systems that the Air Wing uses to manage the battle theater.
    Thats interesting. You a career Marine??

Quote Originally Posted by SOWhitfield11 View Post
    Thats interesting. You a career Marine??
    I'm considering my options right now. I'm almost done with my bachelor's and I've got good scores for everything I've done so I may try to go to OCS and get commissioned rather than EAS, but there are very lucrative civilian jobs in my field so that's an option too. Or I could just stick with where I'm at, but I'm less likely to do that because my MOS is completely locked out for promotions right now.

Dear Mr.SOWhitfield11, Send me your e-mail address so I can forward a response to your question on what I did in the corps. Cpl. M Hamann.

I'm considering my options right now. I'm almost done with my bachelor's and I've got good scores for everything I've done so I may try to go to OCS and get commissioned rather than EAS, but there are very lucrative civilian jobs in my field so that's an option too. Or I could just stick with where I'm at, but I'm less likely to do that because my MOS is completely locked out for promotions right now.
    Wow, you really have alot of options. What's your bachelor's? I actually originally wanted to ask about the civilian options in your field but I couldnt think of anything practical but apparently there are options.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt108 View Post
    Dear Mr.SOWhitfield11, Send me your e-mail address so I can forward a response to your question on what I did in the corps. Cpl. M Hamann.
    PM'd Cpl.

Quote Originally Posted by SOWhitfield11 View Post
    Wow, you really have alot of options. What's your bachelor's? I actually originally wanted to ask about the civilian options in your field but I couldnt think of anything practical but apparently there are options.
    I've been working on my Political Science Degree. And in the civilian world, there are a lot of Aerospace and Aeronautical Engineering companies that use very similar systems to what I use (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc) which would be a pretty sweet gig. But I also build and maintain massive servers so I could work IT for pretty much any company.

Dear SOwhitfield11,
    I was attached to engineer and motor transport battalions in Okinawa and Camp Lejeune after ITR training.I also was attached to the 1st Marine Air wing El Toro air base, Santa Anna ,Calif.While at camp Lejeune I was at camp Geiger motor transport hauling recruits to the field for ITR training we drove tractor trailer cattle cars, I believe they use buses now. I also was station at Marine Corps Barracks, Kelflevic,Iceland (Nato Base) . I was Cpl. Of the guard which I posted the Marines to there posts and logged there post reports on the half hour.We were part of a reinforced company of Marines which our duties covered Honor Guard for visiting NATO members, training Navy personnel on use of defense weapons( GDF) guarding Radar, fuel, munitions, P-3 Navy aircraft sites very interesting place to be stationed, but a lot of spit & polish with daily personnel inspections.We were allowed a 96 hr past monthly so we would catch a navy plane flying to Europe, England, Denmark,Germany lots of good times.
    After my discharge I worked for Centex Builders union carpenter until I was hired by Rolling Meadows police Dept.were I worked for 27 yrs I'm retired now.
    My service in the Marine Corps really inspired me which helped in civilian career.
    Good luck to you and always remember (to Be A Marine You Have To Believe in: yourself..Your Fellow Marine ,Your Corps..Your Country.. Your God < SEMPER FIDELIS>
    I want to hear from you after Boot Camp as to where you read the Recruits Creed!!
    Cpl M. Hamann Semper Fi.

I've been working on my Political Science Degree. And in the civilian world, there are a lot of Aerospace and Aeronautical Engineering companies that use very similar systems to what I use (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc) which would be a pretty sweet gig. But I also build and maintain massive servers so I could work IT for pretty much any company.
    As if Boeing isnt already in the upper echelon of that industry I hear the company is doing outstanding. That may be a great oppurtunity.

Thread Information